Subject: Question about tribe cards noted in FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the FAQ, it says that one of the actions you can take when a targi/tribe marker is on a Tribe card is to discard that card (which would presumably replace it with a Goods card facedown in the field).

The thing is, I've read the rules about 10x now and I don't see anywhere that this discard action is allowed. From the main rules, it seems that you could only:

1) Take it into your hand (if you don't already have a card in hand)
2) Do not take the action (card stays in place)
3) Pay for the action and place in your tribe field

Where does the discard option come from?

Also, a related question: if you have a tribe card in hand, can you still pay for other tribe cards from the field, or do you have to have nothing in your hand to do so first? That is, do you have to go to Noble and either discard or pay for your card in hand before you can do *any* other tribe payments?

Thanks for clarifications!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
8bit Geezer wrote:
Also, a related question: if you have a tribe card in hand, can you still pay for other tribe cards from the field, or do you have to have nothing in your hand to do so first? That is, do you have to go to Noble and either discard or pay for your card in hand before you can do *any* other tribe payments?

You can buy cards from the field even if you have a hand card. The only thing you can't do is take another card into your hand until you've played your current hand card at the Noble.

I am not familiar with the official rules+FAQ, I read the rules at Yucata where discarding the field card was clearly stated as an option. Is it not possible that the FAQ was providing this information which was lacking in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
from the rule book

Quote:
Tribal cards taken by the player are laid on the table in front of him and the cost of the cards paid in Goods and Gold (see “Tribal cards”). If a player cannot or does not wish to pay for a Tribal card, he may instead take the card into his hand. However, only one Tribal card may be held in hand by each player. If further Tribal cards are drawn and not immediately played onto the table, they must be discarded into a discard pile for tribal cards. Swapping the most recently drawn card for the one in your hand is not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey

about the discard option. Page 4 left side bottom of the page:

"If a player cannot or does not want to pay for a Tribe card, he can keep it in his hand. However a player may only keep one Tribe card in his hand.
If he receives more than one card at the same time and does not pay them immediately, he MUST DISCARD the excess cards on the Tribe cards discard pile.

Also it does not matter if You have a card in Your hand, You can still pay for the other cards and place them in Your display.

Greetings and have fun playing
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is this discard effect true *only* if a card is already in hand? Or can you discard a tribe card from the field even with an empty hand? Because the rule that you quoted (which I read many times!) doesn't make that clear (to me). And the FAQ makes it seem that you can discard even if your hand is empty Here is what the Faq says:

5. What are my options with a tribe card that I have marked with my tribal marker?

A marked tribal card you can use as followed:

A) Place in Yout personal display if You can pay the cost
B) take to your hand if you have no hand card
C) discard the card (this is the one that confuses me)
D) do nothing (the card stays where it is)

Thanks for your response!

gerwalker wrote:
from the rule book

Quote:
Tribal cards taken by the player are laid on the table in front of him and the cost of the cards paid in Goods and Gold (see “Tribal cards”). If a player cannot or does not wish to pay for a Tribal card, he may instead take the card into his hand. However, only one Tribal card may be held in hand by each player. If further Tribal cards are drawn and not immediately played onto the table, they must be discarded into a discard pile for tribal cards. Swapping the most recently drawn card for the one in your hand is not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If a player cannot or does not wish to pay for a Tribal card, he may instead take the card into his hand

Note the "may". Often the critical word in rules . So you may take the tribal card into your hand, or you may discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah... thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how that answers OP's question.
Quoted rule says:
If further Tribal cards are drawn and not immediately played onto the table, they must be discarded into a discard pile for tribal cards.

"if further Tribal cards" means "if you draw a card, while already having a card in your hand". In other words, OP is right that the discard rule is mentioned only in the context of having already a card in hand.

Edit:
pilgrim152 wrote:
Quote:
If a player cannot or does not wish to pay for a Tribal card, he may instead take the card into his hand

Note the "may". Often the critical word in rules . So you may take the tribal card into your hand, or you may discard it.

No, it does not say you may discard it. It says you may not take it to your hand, in other words leave it on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no... now I'm confused again lol!

BartP wrote:
Quoted rule says:
If further Tribal cards are drawn and not immediately played onto the table, they must be discarded into a discard pile for tribal cards.

"if further Tribal cards" means "if you draw a card, while already having a card in your hand". In other words, OP is right that the discard rule is mentioned only in the context of having already a card in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
Quoted rule says:

Edit:
pilgrim152 wrote:
Quote:

No, it does not say you may discard it. It says you may not take it to your hand, in other words leave it on the table.

I suppose I could have added this from the rules:
Quote:
When a player uses one of the 9 central cards... the card is immediately replaced by a card of the other type.

So the process is:
- take back marker
- tribe card is replaced
- decide whether to take the tribe card into hand, build, or not

"or not" isn't really discarding, since you never really own it. (Alternatively, you could pass and not replace the tribe card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that extra bit from the rules you listed + the other info, now it makes sense.

Now don't anyone add anything else so I can remain satisfied and unconfused!!!!

thumbsup

P.S. I still think the rules could've been a bit clearer on this point, since the Tribe cards are more complex to deal with than Goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks to Karl everything is clear now :-) Thanks Karl!!

I apologize if the rules are not laid out clear enough and led to misunderstanding and confusion. Sorry about that! Sometimes it is not easy to bring rules into a compact and also clearly understandable form.
Maybe they can be changed a little to make things clearer.
I will try to look into it!

Now that the rules are worked out, I wish You lot of fun playing Targi!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STOCKBROT wrote:
Great, thanks to Karl everything is clear now :-) Thanks Karl!!

I apologize if the rules are not laid out clear enough and led to misunderstanding and confusion. Sorry about that! Sometimes it is not easy to bring rules into a compact and also clearly understandable form.
Maybe they can be changed a little to make things clearer.
I will try to look into it!

Now that the rules are worked out, I wish You lot of fun playing Targi!

Thanks! And don't worry, much fun is had every time I play. But I still can't beat my wife!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.