Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica, the biggest game in the last year or two got a mini-expansion with these four promotion town tiles from Essen 2013. Expect them stocked at BGG Store soon enough. For those who haven't had a chance to play with them, here's a quick overview and review...

The tiles bring in some awesome bonuses: Obvious raw points are good and keys for the cult track, but the sweet stuff is below all that...

One advances your shipping. Very handy when you start getting trapped in or wanting to start expanding off a coast.

One is just raw points, no special but 11 is nothing to snuff at.

One advances you 2 spots on every cult track. That's incredible especially when you cross some power thresholds. Nice to see the synergy between those two.

Lastly, one provides the rather underpowered Fakirs an extra carpet flight space. Combined with their stronghold, these guys can stealthily sneak into first place on the largest building network.

EDIT: One more consideration for purchase beyond a variety of tiles is the ability to have more town tiles to choose from. This would certainly benefit races that could establish beyond 2-3 towns. In five player games, these tiles become even more valuable and could sway victory by racing to get more towns up. Thank you to user Philip Thomas for pointing that out!

These tiles don't provide ground breaking developments in play but more options are certainly nice in this polished game. I look forward to using these more in future games. Well worth the likely $5 price point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not one shpping tile and one Fakir tile. Instead there are two tiles, on the frontside the shipping and on the backside the carpet flight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the simple more town tiles factor? Especially in 5 player games this could be great for town factions like Witches and Swarmlings-easier for them to establish a third or even a fourth town!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize, you're right. I have two sets and play with both up (with Fakirs being played) for less confusion. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
What about the simple more town tiles factor? Especially in 5 player games this could be great for town factions like Witches and Swarmlings-easier for them to establish a third or even a fourth town!

That's a very good point! I believe the game starts with something like 12 town tiles, this ups it to 14 or 15. It certainly does benefit rapidly expanding races. I'll edit the original post. Thank you for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game starts with 10 tiles (2 5VPs+ 6 money, 2 6 VPs+8 power, 2 7VPs+2 workers, 2 8VPs +1 all cult tracks and 2 9VPs+Priest). Enough for every player in a 5 player game to have 2 towns. Sometimes one player sneaks in a 3rd town before another builds his second. With 14 tiles almost every player can have 3 towns.

But I repeat myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Esser
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
Couldn't help but notice that the 2 on every track token has 2 keys printed on it. Does this mean that it allows you to gain the 10 spot on 2 tracks (rather than needing a town for every 10 spot like all others)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
esser915 wrote:
Couldn't help but notice that the 2 on every track token has 2 keys printed on it. Does this mean that it allows you to gain the 10 spot on 2 tracks (rather than needing a town for every 10 spot like all others)?

That's right. You can get the 10 spot two times but it still counts as one town (important for the special ability of the Witches, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

Its impossible to have 4 towns. There aren't enough buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
JumboCactaur wrote:

Each player has 17 buildings, only 15 are needed for 4 cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsnell wrote:
JumboCactaur wrote:

Each player has 17 buildings, only 15 are needed for 4 cities.

1st Cluster of 4: 1 Temple + 1 Trade + 2 Dwelling (choose 2 Fire favor to only need 6)

2nd Cluster: Stronghold + Trade + 2 Dwelling

3rd Cluster: Sanctuary + Trade + Dwelling

I guess at this point you could have 4 dwellings, 1 trade house and 2 temples left, so you could "fairly easily" do a 4th. Maybe taking the 2 Fire favor early isn't so bad, and should be something to reconsider, especially as the Witches or something if you can leverage a 4th town bonus.

However... good luck pulling all that off in 6 rounds with opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kit Schultz
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We just recently got Terra Mystica and love it, and this seems like a really nice small addition of choices to the game Do you think the BGG store will have them soon? I don't see anything there currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Louvier
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered it from that site. Cost, plus shipping is $7.19 US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Galbraith
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legal Counsel wrote:
I just ordered it from that site. Cost, plus shipping is $7.19 US.

Have you received it since the time of this post? Curious how long a small package takes to get to your door from across seas because I'm also going to order it ($8 for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.