Popular Tags: [View All]
Julio Arellano
Mexico
Ciudad de México
Delegación Benito Juárez
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to read the rules and I got a few questions:

•The only way I can shelter any family member is with an "Auto-Shelter" card, or I can decide it at the start of a round? I think there's only 4 cards in the game with the Auto-Shelter mechanic.

•When I draw a shelter, water o food card, do I have to put all of it play or keep them in my hands?

•If I have no water and food cards during the Family Upkeep, I lose 2 unsheltered family members tokens or just 1?

•If a disaster card indicates to lose any number of shelter cards,Can I choose wich one to discard or I lose only those without any sheltered family tokens ?

Thanx & Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my takes on your questions:

(1) Before you draw cards for the round, you can choose to shelter a family member -- it will be safe from disasters but not draw you any cards. That tradeoff is the essence of the game; timing and balancing safety vs. control. Auto-Shelter effects allow you to shelter a family member at other points during the turn (e.g. after drawing or during another person's turn, but not after a disaster has been revealed).

(2) The resources (water, food, shelter) stay face up in front of you. Other cards stay hidden in your hand.

(3) If you have no food and no water then you lose 2 families. It's harsh!

(4) You can choose which shelters you lose.

A question I have related to #4:
If you have to destroy a shelter that is in use, is that family member still safe for the duration of that disaster? That is, do you kill-then-destroy or destroy-then-kill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio Arellano
Mexico
Ciudad de México
Delegación Benito Juárez
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Robert,

That makes more sense now.
By the way I found the answer to your question in: http://www.preppingame.com/preppin-f-a-q/

Q: If you loose a shelter during a disaster with a Family Member sheltered in it, do you loose the sheltered Family Member?

A: No the Family Member is safe, only the Shelter is discarded.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio Arellano
Mexico
Ciudad de México
Delegación Benito Juárez
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[i]This is a reply from Travis Watkins, Mischief Maker of the game:[/i]

Q:The only way I can shelter any family member is with an "Auto-Shelter" card, or I can decide it at the start of a round? I think there's only 4 cards in the game with the Auto-Shelter mechanic.

A:You can shelter as many family members as you want as long as you have available shelter. Only one family member per shelter. You decide how many family member you want to shelter before you draw your cards. Those family members you shelter are safe from disasters, but you do not get to draw cards for them.

You only get to draw cards for members you kept out of the shelter. The Auto-Bunker cards are used at anytime, before the disaster card is pulled. When you use the auto-bunker feature, your unsheltered family members get to go into any shelters that are available.

So for example: lets say you have 4 family members and 3 shelters and 1 card with an auto-bunker feature. You decide at the begining of your turn to shelter 1 family member and send 3 family members out to draw cards. Before the disaster card is pulled at the end of the round, you declare that you are going to use your auto-bunker card and place 2 of your family members into the 2 remaining available shelters. This leaves only one of your family members exposed to the disaster.

Q: When I draw a shelter, water o food card, do I have to put all of it play or keep them in my hands?

A: Depending on your strategy, you can play either way. However, if you want to shelter your family members, that should be on the table for all to see.

I usually play all my cards on the table, but have played with others that prefer to keep some secrets. Don't forget, you have to be able to pay your upkeep at the end of your turn (1 food 1 water), other wise you lose a family member to starvation. You can use Surplus cards to pay for your upkeep if you don't have food or water (because upkeep IS an EVENT.) But you do not get change back from the card.

So for example, lets say you have 1 water, no food, and a magnesium firestarter. You can pay your upkeep with the 1 water and the 1 food with the fire starter (that is a +2 food). But I do not get change of +1 food for paying the upkeep with the Fire starter.

Q:If I have no water and food cards during the Family Upkeep, I lose 2 unsheltered family members tokens or just 1?

A: If you cannot pay your upkeep of 1 food and 1 water, you lose only 1 family member to starvation regardless if they are sheltered or not. You can still die in a shelter if you don't have any food to eat or water to drink. That's why you have to send family members out for supplies.

Otherwise everyone would just ride out Armageddon safely in bunkers, not worrying about food and water. Where's the fun in that? Remember, you can use surplus cards to pay for your upkeep. Your upkeep is considered an EVENT. Most Surplus cards say VS EVENT on them.

Q: If a disaster card indicates to lose any number of shelter cards, I lose only those without any sheltered family tokens or all the shelter cards?

A: You lose the shelter regardless if a family member is in them or not. However, if a family member was inside a shelter that is lost to a disaster, that family member is safe from the disaster and is left unharmed for that round.

Thank you Travis for clearing the questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.