Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does the aftermath effect of an extra turn from Fear Generator trigger only if you don't kill a monster and destroy Fear Generator, or is it an aftermath effect that trigger even if you defeat a monster (and Fear Generator survives)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
tmcvey wrote:
Does the aftermath effect of an extra turn from Fear Generator trigger only if you don't kill a monster and destroy Fear Generator, or is it an aftermath effect that trigger even if you defeat a monster (and Fear Generator survives)?

Fearmaker's second sentence is contingent on the first; probably would have been better with a semi-colon separating them.

If you defeat a monster, destroy Fearmaker and take another turn. If you do not defeat a monster, do not destroy Fearmaker and do not take another turn.

Note that "another" does not stack. If you have two Fearmakers and do not defeat a monster, both Fearmakers are destroyed, but you only gain a single "another" turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aftermath effects occur whether you defeat a monster or not, so technically, the aftermath effect of the Fearmaker will activate no matter what.

If you did defeat the monster, then the aftermath effect of the Fearmaker is basically "nothing happens". Only if you did not defeat the monster are you forced to destroy it and take another turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
DoomTurtle wrote:
Aftermath effects occur whether you defeat a monster or not, so technically, the aftermath effect of the Fearmaker will activate no matter what.

Good point. Which reminds me, there are a few cases where Fearmaker's Aftermath would be canceled:

- Veilminder Priest (even if there are multiple Fearmakers)
- Circle of Protection
- Magic Shield

In the case of Circle of Protection and Magic Shield, if there are multiple qualifying effects, the active player could decide the order to resolve the effects, and therefore could optionally trigger Fearmaker's Aftermath effect or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the second sentence was an independent separate event or required the fearmaker to be destroyed before triggering. You're right that a semi-colon, or a "if you defeated a monster, nothing happens" sentence would clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered this, too. I think I recalled seeing the rule that you do everything that you CAN do in an effect and ignore the rest. Agreement here on the semicolon. That would have made both sentences part of the same trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.