Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother-in-law is in the hospital with Pulmonary Embolisms from DVT.

Seems playing cards ( Hand and Foot ) for a very longtime is responsible for throwing clots into her lungs.(Pulmonary Embolism) It was a little mysterious for a few minutes as the doctor almost accused her of lying about being on a recent long trip in an airplane or bus w'ever. My wife actually offered the card-playing idea knowing she plays a lot with friends at her senior center and, since my MIL is also kinda short, the doctor said that sitting for an extended period with her feet just dangling is what led to the clots. She is not otherwise bed-ridden or overly sedentary for her age. She doesn't take warfarin but was on aspirin therapy.

weird.

probably a good idea for folks, perhaps just older folks or those with 'compromised' heart/blood vessels, to get up from their chairs occasionally during long gaming sessions, and/or take some aspirin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good for everyone to get up and move around. I work a desk job and get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour or so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
It's good for everyone to get up and move around. I work a desk job and get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour or so
Seconded, you should never sit around for prolonged periods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sitting is the new smoking."

I saw that somewhere.

Where I work some stations are actually at standing height so you can do work while standing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really sad how much I want one of those standing desks, or more optimally one of the desks that lower and raise from sitting to standing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a desk I can use lying down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom tos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
I want a desk I can use lying down.

You might want to reconsider. People die lying down all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've a had a lot of enjoyable times being mostly horizontal so, it's worth the risk.

But. I'm staying out of hospitals. LOTS of people dying there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why we always drink plenty of beer. It forces you to get up and use the restroom often. It's just healthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty common for teens who play a lot of video games. There is usually a story about someone getting a P.E. when the new World of Warcraft expansion comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
That's why we always drink plenty of beer. It forces you to get up and use the restroom often. It's just healthy.

Taking notes for my wife...."drinking lots of beer, honey, for my health"..."grab me another while you're up, unless you want me to keel over".

This could be handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fair idea, that long gaming sessions can lead to DVT/PEs, but so can any extended sedentary activity (sitting on the couch watching TV, for instance). To prevent this, just get up about once an hour and walk around for 5 minutes. Doing squats is even better.

Your mother-in-law should get a cancer work-up, however. It is unusual for someone to get a DVT from sitting down too long, even someone old. DVT/PE is MUCH more common in patients with cancer, especially among patients on aspirin, and is often the first sign that leads to the discovery. The work-up should include colonoscopy, chest xray, breast exam, skin exam, bloodwork, and CT scan, MRI or PET scan if possible.

Also if your mother-in-law goes home on blood-thinners (coumadin, warfarin, lovenox, plavix, or otherwise) then you have to be REALLY careful about her falling down - old people die every day falling, hitting their head, and bleeding inside their skull while on these drugs. If she is unsteady on her feet, she needs to be watched constantly, remove loose rugs and stairs from her home, etc.

Dr. Fish, MD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
Fair idea, that long gaming sessions can lead to DVT/PEs, but so can any extended sedentary activity (sitting on the couch watching TV, for instance). To prevent this, just get up about once an hour and walk around for 5 minutes. Doing squats is even better.

Your mother-in-law should get a cancer work-up, however. It is unusual for someone to get a DVT from sitting down too long, even someone old. DVT/PE is MUCH more common in patients with cancer, especially among patients on aspirin, and is often the first sign that leads to the discovery. The work-up should include colonoscopy, chest xray, breast exam, skin exam, bloodwork, and CT scan, MRI or PET scan if possible.

Also if your mother-in-law goes home on blood-thinners (coumadin, warfarin, lovenox, plavix, or otherwise) then you have to be REALLY careful about her falling down - old people die every day falling, hitting their head, and bleeding inside their skull while on these drugs. If she is unsteady on her feet, she needs to be watched constantly, remove loose rugs and stairs from her home, etc.

Dr. Fish, MD

Thanx, she does have a history of 'unsteadiness'/clumsiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Pretty common for teens who play a lot of video games. There is usually a story about someone getting a P.E. when the new World of Warcraft expansion comes out.

Common in the sense that being hit by a meteorite is common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently converted my work desk to a standing desk with the help of a shelf and some cardboard boxes for my keyboard/mouse. My legs get pretty sore by the end of the day, but I do find I feel a LOT better after eight hours of work. I also try and get up in gaming sessions. Sitting for that long just starts locking my whole body up after a certain amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Small note - standing in place is not as bad as sitting, but still confers risk of DVT or venous insufficiency (varicose veins, leg ulcers). The key is to walk around or at least flex the legs every hour or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
Small note - standing in place is not as bad as sitting, but still confers risk of DVT or venous insufficiency (varicose veins, leg ulcers). The key is to walk around or at least flex the legs every hour or so.

I tend to listen to funky techno and dance. Gets weird looks from co-workers walking by, but keeps me healthy! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:
I recently converted my work desk to a standing desk with the help of a shelf and some cardboard boxes for my keyboard/mouse. My legs get pretty sore by the end of the day, but I do find I feel a LOT better after eight hours of work. I also try and get up in gaming sessions. Sitting for that long just starts locking my whole body up after a certain amount of time.

My back would completely fail me after about 30 minutes of that. Wait till you get old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
AtomicReaction wrote:

My back would completely fail me after about 30 minutes of that. Wait till you get old.

Depends how old you mean. The guy I got the recommendation from is late 40s, so he still seems to be enjoying it. That being said, I doubt I will make it much past 50 anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
AtomicReaction wrote:

yep, I do find standing is OK for a while, but i also have bad feet and even with orthotics, I find I need to give my lower extremities a break once in a while. Otherwise though, I think it's a good idea to walk around/stretch on occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.