Subject: Sod's Law, Murphy's Law and lousy die rolls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Brophy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I finished playing one of the most frustrating campaigns I can recall, although looking back, I must have had some luck because I scraped an adequate assessment at the end of it all.
It was a USN 1972 Linebacker long campaign, and aside from lousy die rolls which we all get a lot of the time, the combination of rolls and card picks really sticks in my mind.

To give a few examples:
9 consecutive die rolls of between 1 and 4 so that all nine bombs on the target missed. Guess what happened when I needed high rolls?

My best pilot has most of my AtA missiles and comes under attack. There is an Electric Intruder giving -2 to all enemy rolls but I don't want to take any chances, so when he fails his ECM pod check (who'd have guessed) I tried evasion, and the 2 rolls were 10 and 10! Bye Bye most of my AtA capacity because he is damaged.

Fighter Sweep: 8 Migs to shoot down so I load up with some Sparrows to knock out Migs before they get too close, and the rest Sidewinders. Event card: Bloody Politicians think it would be a good idea to read the makers name on the fuselage before opening fire, so the Sparrows are useless!

My Intel allows me to remove a site or bandit, and only one bandit is scheduled to show up, so I decide that I will remove the bandit and load up with AtG munitions and no AtA. Event card: hands up all those who guessed Bandits!

I had the Skyraider card allowing a re-roll in case of SAR. It gave +4 to any re-roll, so when I lost a plane, my first roll was a 5 MIA and my +4 re-roll was a 1. Great.

Finally, there was one target that I decided to remain at pre approach distance for the first 2 turns in order to take out SA2 sites, but I drew Bad Intel, which meant no loiter time.

All of the above shows just what a great solitaire game this is, and that nothing can be taken for granted. As an aside, has anybody managed a better than adequate result? I used to run up good results no end in HL-CAO, but with the political rules in PL Deluxe, I have never yet done better than adequate in any of the campaigns, and apart from the War in the South which I haven't played, I have played all of the others as both army and navy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely lots of bad luck all around.

For Political Limitations, I would play that you can always attack sites/bandits listed as objectives even if an event card would say otherwise. You just can't attack any of the non-objective sites outside the center area. Several of Dan Verssen's answers on here (for example this thread) seem to concur with that interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Mason
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got to the bit about the Sparrows I just started laughing. Comedy gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.