Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Zpocalypse» Forums » General

Subject: Atmosphere music to play during Zpocalypse/Other Zombie themed games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I enjoy doing for my sessions of Zpocalypse, or other boardgames is to play atmosphere music appropriate to the genre of game I'm playing.

aka, When I'm playing Firefly the game I enjoy listening to the firefly soundtrack on my ouya.

For Zpocalypse, or any Zombie themed game(Zombicide, Last Night on Earth, Dark Darker Darkest, Zombies!!!) I turn to the zombie movie and game soundtracks. Granted, where you acquire these is up to you, libraries are a great location to get older cd's so you can burn the tracks yourself.

Anyway, I've found the following soundtracks to be very Zombie theme appropriate.

Movies:
1. Night of the Living Dead - Classic soundtrack, I usually remove the intro(I dont' like tracks with vocals of any kind that might interfere with the game). The tone is mostly forboding, though some tracks are a bit overdone for ambient purposes.
Night of the Living Dead - 02 - Driveway to the Cemetery (Main Title).mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 03 - At the GravesiteFlight and Refuge.mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 04 - FarmhouseFirst Approach.mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 05 - Ghoulash (J.R.'s Demise).mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 06 - Boarding Up.mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 08 - Boarding Up 2Discovery - Guns & Ammo.mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 09 - Cleaning House.mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 10 - First Advance.mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 11 - TV DiscoveryPreparing to EscapeTom and Judy.mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 12 - Attempted Escape.mp3
Night of the Living Dead - 13 - Truck on FireBen and HarryLeg of Leg.mp3

2. Day of the Dead - Another classic soundtrack. What's great about this one is that is has 2 tracks which contain music form the movie(older 70ish zombie horror music), but they also have sound effect overlays from the movie, complete with moans and groans, and the music generally doens't interfere with the vibe of the game.
Day of the Dead - 01 - The Dead Suite.mp3
Day of the Dead - 02 - Breakdown.mp3
Day of the Dead - 03 - Escape Invasion.mp3
Day of the Dead - 04 - The Dead walk.mp3
Day of the Dead - 07 - Deadly Beginnings.mp3
Day of the Dead - 08 - Diner of the Living Dead.mp3
Day of the Dead - 09 - Dead Calm.mp3
Day of the Dead - 11 - Dead End.mp3

3. Dawn of the Dead (2002 Remake) - Almost the entire track is chock full of dark forboding music that really sets the mood for a zombie game.
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 01 - Brianscan.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 02 - Vivian Attacks.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 03 - Louis Blasts Through Bathroom Door.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 04 - Anna's Escape.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 05 - We're Going to the Mall.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 06 - Scoping Out Metropolis.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 07 - Michael Investigates.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 08 - Zombie Spike.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 09 - We Need to Suture That Arm.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 10 - Don't Give Him that Gun!.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 11 - America Always Sorts It's Shit Out.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 12 - Ben Cozine.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 13 - Maybe They're Coming For Us.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 14 - How Do You Think Your God Will Judge You¿.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 15 - I Hope You Got A Plan.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 16 - Truck Over Zombies.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 17 - Blood Bath City.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 18 - Bloated She Rises.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 19 - It's Only A Matter of Time.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 20 - Breathe.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 21 - That Dog's Just Fucked Up.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 22 - Luda's Transformation.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 23 - You Wanna Kill My Family.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 25 - We Need to Do Something, Now!.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 26 - I'm Not A Plumber.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 27 - Subterrainian Sewer Attack.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 28 - Sailing the Sea of Zombies.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 29 - Chainsaw to the Breast Bone.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 30 - Fuckin' Figures.mp3
Dawn of the Dead (2002 remake) - 31 - Enjoy the Sunrise.mp3

4. 28 Days later - Can't go wrong with this one, though I do recommend only using a few select tracks, as the others included dont' really add to the zombie flavor, but are part of the ending credits or whent he survivors are doing character stuff. We want the darker creepy stuff for our zombie games. Here are the tracks I include in my play list.

28 Days Later Soundtrack - 02 - Rage.mp3
28 Days Later Soundtrack - 03 - The Church.mp3
28 Days Later Soundtrack - 05 - Then There Were Two.mp3
28 Days Later Soundtrack - 06 - Tower Block.mp3
28 Days Later Soundtrack - 08 - The Tunnel.mp3
28 Days Later Soundtrack - 11 - No More Films.mp3
28 Days Later Soundtrack - 15 - I Promised them Women.mp3
28 Days Later Soundtrack - 16 - The Search for Jim.mp3
28 Days Later Soundtrack - 18 - In The House - In A Heartbeat.mp3

GAMES:

I've tried alot of games, and while I enjoy the fallout soundtracks for post apocish stuff, I'm not including them here, as this list is primarily for JUST zombie theme oriented stuff.

1. Left 4 Dead - The quintessential zombie video game. Nearly every track is pure gold for a zombie themed game, though if you have access to a music app which can let you pick and choose what to play during your session, I might make a few separate playlists for elevated tension(aka, the which and tank music are appropriate themed musci for boss type fights, but otherwise are too high strung for random playlist game play).

Left 4 Dead - 01 - Intro.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 02 - No Mercy.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 03 - Blood Harvest.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 04 - Rabies.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 05 - Quarantine.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 06 - Crashcourse.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 07 - Clinging To Hell.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 08 - Rabies ll.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 09 - No Mercy For You.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 10 - Death Toll.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 11 - Tank.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 12 - Blood Harvestor.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 13 - Witch.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 14 - Your Own Funeral.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 15 - Pukricide.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 16 - Skin On Our Teeth.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 17 - The Monsters Within.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 18 - DeadA ir.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 19 - Death Toll Collector.mp3
Left 4 Dead - 20 - Left For Death.mp3

I'd also include Left 4 Dead 2, but I don't have that soundtrack so can't suggest tracks to play, likely I'd say all should be good.

Gamign honorable mentions for theme music(Borderlands, Fallout 1, 2, 3(w/o radio), Half Life(sci fi creeper music), Firearms combat music (Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2).

I'd also like to recommend our Squadboard app for including some music for your zpocalypse experience. The paid version comes with music appropriate for each phase of the game.

http://www.greenbriergames.com/gbg/index.php/games/zpocalyps...

Lastly, I'd like to recommend the Android App, Song & Dragon, for loading up some various tracks for a session, and then having the ability to overlay sound effects intermittently for added effects(Zombie moans, gun shots, oomphs, swooshes, etc..) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dragaobore...

Anyway, if you have any additional movies/games to suggest for zombie themed music, please post it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd throw in Land of the Dead too, really nice jumpy soundtrack.

And... ouya?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I'd throw in Land of the Dead too, really nice jumpy soundtrack.

And... ouya?

-shnar
I have my Ouya(Android Entertainment center https://www.ouya.tv/) connected to my PC's music share, so since we play our boardgames out in the living room, I just have the ouya play my playlists via XBMC instead of through my phone. However, I'll likely do it all via my phone, once I obtain a decent bluetooth Speaker and can more tightly control what's currently playing to fit the actions of the game.

aka, Phase 1 should be explorative, somber, little creepy, but at the same time not very energetic. It's the scavenging phase after all. Volume needs to be appropriate so people can read their cards aloud to set the tone for the game.

Phase 2 should be more upbeat, planning/building type music. Survivors just fed, re-quipped, getting ready for the evenings combat.

Phase 3, should be short, but super creepy, eerie, as horrific as you can get. The Left for dead witch music is pretty good for this phase.

Phase 4: combat, should be all out fighten music, intermixed with zombie moans, and the occasional gunshot/melee bash sound effects.

I'll need to check out land of the dead soundtrack. I recall the movie being somewhat meh plot wise, though I wasn't paying attention to the soundtrack at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Walking Dead OST is great

Also Deus Ex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
toerck wrote:
Walking Dead OST is great

Also Deus Ex

I have deus Ex, I find most of the tracks for it are very up beat, and great for a shadowrun/cyber punk style game, but are too fast paced for my zombie play list. I do have them in my modern combat track list though(If I'm playing a game with tons of gunfights).

I think I tried the walking dead soundtrack back when it started, but it only contained vocal music from the show at the time. I'll need to try it again if they've added the more ambient mood music from the show if it's available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listening to your music off your Ouya while playing the Firefly board game, huh? I don't think that could get more indy if you added black glasses and quinoa.

I haven't formed a separate playlist just for zombie games, but I do have one for my horror games in general, as some of my more common pulls are Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, and Betrayal at House on the Hill. I make lighting appropriate with colored LED cubes and candles, then play the songs from a thumb drive on my 360, on shuffle. Because of the nature of Arkham Horror et al, it seems counterintuitive for my purposes to have a segmented soundtrack. Because it's not specifically what you asked for, I won't name all the particular songs I use, but I will give you the gist.

-----

Fatal Frame 1 and 2 soundtracks. A lot of the songs from the soundtrack are too noisy, as they go for a sensory overload effect to build immediate tension, which is not appropriate for my gaming. Others have vocals that are a little too specific. Some of the tracks, though, are absolute gold.

Dead Space soundtrack, especially 01 - Dead Space Theme, 02 - Welcome Aboard the USG Ishimura, and 10 - Entering Zero-G.

X-Files (series) soundtrack. Tense, spooky ambience. Completely perfect for Arkham Horror; might be too subtle for the zombie apocalypse.

Soundtrack to Dead Island, my quintessential zombie game. About eight songs from that.

Dead Can Dance - Host of the Seraphim. Definitely good for gothic or brooding settings. I toyed with the idea of a few of their other songs, such as Song of Sophia, but... no. Just this one.

Hellsing OST - Original Sin.

Nox Arcana - Night of the Wolf. Gothy again. I keep considering rebalancing the levels on this, but I haven't. *shrug*

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver soundtrack - Ending Credits/Dumah's Theme. Not terribly tense, but the low chanting and deep drumming are nice.

Thief: Deadly Shadows soundtrack - Haunted. Perfect for my uses.

I also have a soundscape track of a thunder storm which I've cut into six-minute chunks (down from 90+ minutes). This breaks up the tracks beautifully, without distraction, while keeping an ominous feel.

Finally, after extensively poring through youtube for this exact purpose, I found exactly five ambient tracks worth using. They are (possibly renamed by me):
Crimson King's Spooky Ambience
Haunted Sky
Scary Forest Creature
Khadath - Echoes Among the Whispering Stones
Khadath - Those Who Awaits in the Depth of the Mere (sic)

-----

Hopefully you find something useful here, or at least interesting. I will for sure check out the tracks you've listed, as I believe in never having too much variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
FerretOfTindalos wrote:
Listening to your music off your Ouya while playing the Firefly board game, huh? I don't think that could get more indy if you added black glasses and quinoa.

I use the Ouya out of convenience with XBMC (IMHO the games for it still suck for the most part) instead of a media PC+remote, though have recently acquired a nexus 7, which is alot more portable for gaming music music. Since Firefly has been in our regular rotation since Gencon, I like having the soundtrack to play with it( I want to make it into 3 playlists, 1 for alliance space[classical scores], 1 for rim space[OST/westerny scores], and the last for misbehaving cards[crew getting into trouble scores], and just change the playlist for each players area of activity via tablet).

Will have to check out dead island track. I tried to add some x-files, but i placed those in my alien horror section[If i ever end up playing seditions wars will use this playlist]. I've found that all the Left4Dead tracks are too situational, they are great for the vid game, which can change the tracks based on what your up against, but they are a bit all over the place and jarring for a boardgame on random, unless you split the playlists into separate activities (search/explore, combat, boss fight, spooky horror) on my todo list.

Whenever I do the zombie games, whether it be for Zpoc or Dark Darker Darkest etc.. It always seems to fall on the 20 minute Day of the Dead tracks, which infuse the game with 80s cheese synth music, overlaid with zombie moans and occasional firearms altercations, which seems to fit the games rather well.

I'll have to check out and explore some of the other additions you've added, as some of them seem very promising for enhancing my current track list, and giving other viewers of this thread some ideas on where to scrape tracks for their own playlists and or pandora accounts.

Added note:

been getting into using the Android Songs and Dragon app on the tablet, and it's been fantastic having ability to add my own tracks, and have playable sound effects while we game. Over Thanksgiving ran a pathfinder dungeon delve, and used diablo 1 creature death sounds everytime someone killed an undead or a zombie. It made combat very satisfying for my players, where instead of declaring an enemy slain, I just played a guttural "BLARGG..SPLAT" Sound effect, which would be randomly selected from 5 or so sound files in the list. Only would really make sense in a GM vs. player sort of game, where the GM has info the players don't..but still, it really adds to the ambiance of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered my copy of the Zpocalypse. So excited! I'm hearing rumors that a 2.0 is coming down the pipes and I wonder if maybe I should have waited. I got nailed with both a Lord of the Rings Game and Rune Wars bought them and like a month later the 2nd edition comes out -_-;

Anyway conversation for later; On topic, I would recommend a few games that have stellar music.

As said, Fallout Music during the dungeons are very creepy and haunting, Especially the ones from Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Also for an old school feel I would say try the dungeon tracks from Daggerfall. Creepy stuff.

State of Decay is an Xbox Live and now a PC game. In state of Decay you manage a group of survivors and got building to building scavenging and building up your base. While trying to avoid and fight through hordes of zombies. So a lot of the music in that game would fit perfectly in Zombie Board Games.

Finally for some GREAT Zombie themed music filled with tension and some great 70s and 80s Zombie movie feel try the music from The Walking Dead by TellTale Games.

As with all music you sound as a soundtrack for boardgames you have to carefully pick and choose what to use. We got over 300 fantasy themed songs sorted into "Town" "Dungeon" "Fight" "'Splorin" etc. You have to largely do the same for Zombie games I noticed or the songs can feel off.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions zee Parks. You seem to really know your board games and zombie stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
Just ordered my copy of the Zpocalypse. So excited! I'm hearing rumors that a 2.0 is coming down the pipes and I wonder if maybe I should have waited. I got nailed with both a Lord of the Rings Game and Rune Wars bought them and like a month later the 2nd edition comes out -_-;

Anyway conversation for later; On topic, I would recommend a few games that have stellar music.

As said, Fallout Music during the dungeons are very creepy and haunting, Especially the ones from Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Also for an old school feel I would say try the dungeon tracks from Daggerfall. Creepy stuff.

State of Decay is an Xbox Live and now a PC game. In state of Decay you manage a group of survivors and got building to building scavenging and building up your base. While trying to avoid and fight through hordes of zombies. So a lot of the music in that game would fit perfectly in Zombie Board Games.

Finally for some GREAT Zombie themed music filled with tension and some great 70s and 80s Zombie movie feel try the music from The Walking Dead by TellTale Games.

As with all music you sound as a soundtrack for boardgames you have to carefully pick and choose what to use. We got over 300 fantasy themed songs sorted into "Town" "Dungeon" "Fight" "'Splorin" etc. You have to largely do the same for Zombie games I noticed or the songs can feel off.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions zee Parks. You seem to really know your board games and zombie stuff!

Great additions David,

I do sort my music that way, and currently use the android "dragon songs" app to play them via my tablet during games. Though I will now add a "Splorin" folder in place of my "exploration" folder, as I enjoy your vernacular much more.

I do need to try out the Walking dead game, everyone states it's amazing, same for State of Decay. Currently I've been devouring Project Zomboid and the late game Horror farm simulator that it has become.

As for zpoc 2.0, you have time. We want to have ample play testing to mature this title, and it likely won't see shelves for a while(I'm still waiting to get my copy of Aftermath, and I helped make the damn thing!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.