Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual format of the puzzle event is often kept a secret until the event actually begins. In the past it has taken a variety of forms, including scavenger hunts, carnival games, and more typical just sit and solve puzzles. It's consistently pretty cool!

I do know that this year teams are limited to 4 people per team. (This hasn't been true in the past).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pike
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam is right, part of the fun is that each year has been different in some aspect. Sometimes the puzzles themselves were be handed to your team in one large packet, allowing you to split it up and let your team members each focus on what they are strong at solving, other times you had to solve one section or single puzzle or perform a task before you could move to the next. Im past years, sometimes hints were available, other times no hints were given. The puzzles have ranged from things you might find in Games Magazine to logic puzzles to rebuses to a variety of word puzzle types (cryptogram, acrostic, ciphers, etc.) There was even an actual jigsaw puzzle one year that held further information needed to solve the puzzles.

In addition, there have been some really unusual and out of the box puzzles. I look forward to seeing what this year holds! If you have other questions feel free to ask.

This is the one event I look forward to more than any other every year without fail, and I can hardly wait to see what this year will bring!

I was excited to see that this year there will not be a limit on participants, so everyone who wishes to participate can join in!

The organizers are asking for sign-ups so they can ensure that they print enough materials, so if the Puzzle Hunt interests you, be sure to sign up in advance! According to the wiki, sign ups for the Puzzle Hunt will be available shortly after the con begins. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this year there is a special requirement: At least one member of each team will need some sort of device with internet access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
And in case you're new to puzzle hunt type events as a whole -- typically you and your team will receive a packet with various puzzles in them - and the puzzles are anything from anagrams to "what phrase do these pictures represent" or logic puzzles, etc. In general you're trying to solve as many puzzles as quickly as possible with your team. In addition each year's hunt has a "theme" - one year each puzzle answer was an object, and you had to bring the object to the judges to get credit - so you had team members racing around the con and the hotel to gather objects for their team.

The crew that runs the puzzle hunt is amazingly creative - if you like puzzles, you really must try this event - it's super fun even if you're not in competition to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
msg tools
Buffering
badge
mbmb
This sound cool, where can I sign up ( / join a team )?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every year this sounds cool (and this year sounds even better). But every year I worry about how much time it will take from gaming. And every year I end up not doing it.

I know every year is different, and every team varies in skill level, but ballpark how much time does this usually take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The event runs for two hours - at the end of that time scores are tallied... It's totally worth it - it's hard to describe how much fun this is! I keep recruiting new people each year, and the only person who didn't enjoy it was someone who just wasn't interested in solving the puzzles. Everyone else is hooked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ithurtsus wrote:

Signup sheets are posted on the first day of the con - if you don't have a team you can group up with others who don't have a full team. Or you could recruit folks here!

Event signups go fast, so plan on signing up on the first day. Arnott and crew work hard to insure that everyone who wants to play can, but they need a good count to prepare all the materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
ithurtsus wrote:

Signup sheets are posted on the first day of the con - if you don't have a team you can group up with others who don't have a full team. Or you could recruit folks here!

Event signups go fast, so plan on signing up on the first day. Arnott and crew work hard to insure that everyone who wants to play can, but they need a good count to prepare all the materials.

What day and time is the event this year? Can we sign up now or are signups always at the con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Hunt is on Saturday afternoon 2-4pm.
Teams of max 4 participants.
Each team will need a device capable of accessing the internet (smartphone, tablet, etc.)
Signup at the con starting Wed. mid-day, near the check-in desk.

And it's a ton of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: most sign-ups will be available 24 hours before the event begins to give late arrivals a chance before it fills up.

Since the Puzzle Hunt is not limited this year as to number of teams, it's sign-up sheet will be posted soon after the convention begins. Please sign-up early so the organizers have some idea of how many material packets to print up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
I believe this year there is a special requirement: At least one member of each team will need some sort of device with internet access.

So that rules out a little over half of us. I guess most teams will have someone with AT&T service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

So that rules out a little over half of us. I guess most teams will have someone with AT&T service.

My reports from last year are that all cell carriers except T Mobile had great service.

There is also some talk from the hotel that some sort of minimal wifi may be available - I don't want to promise anything until I meet with them tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

Also, the puzzle hunt last year was held in a room on the first floor (not the basement), if that's still the case this year, cell reception should be much better in general, and it may be in the vicinity of free wifi access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can officially say the following:

1. No team will be turned away this year. Or asked to join an existing team (though you still may do this if you'd prefer)

2. Each team will need only ONE internet/wifi device: smartphone, tablet, laptop. Worst case, your team can always take over the hotel's business center for 2 hours Johnny, I cannot image that rules out HALF the teams. Surely, at least ONE person on your team owns (and can bring) such a device. I'm fairly sure Aldie is actually bringing our own dedicated server into the Hunt room, so wifi should not be a problem

3. Though the time listed is 2-4, you should really plan on it being from at least 2-4:30. Ideally, we want everyone to have a FULL TWO hours dedicated to the actual hunt... and with an unlimited number of teams, it'll likely take at LEAST 15 minutes to just distribute starting packets, set up devices, and go over the rules.

4. Oh... and I can't scroll back from this screen to see who said it, but as of today, I can tell you there will be NO ANAGRAMMING! I've never really found doing them to be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnott wrote:
I can officially say the following:

[...] Each team will need only ONE internet/wifi device: smartphone, tablet, laptop. Worst case, your team can always take over the hotel's business center for 2 hours Johnny, I cannot image that rules out HALF the teams. Surely, at least ONE person on your team owns (and can bring) such a device.

The concern is that last year many people found their Internet devices had no connectivity in many parts of the convention, or only intermittent connectivity. It sounds like you've addressed that, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pike
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, THANK YOU for all the hard work that goes into planning and designing the Puzzle Hunt! I know first-hand from attempting a puzzle hunt on a much smaller scale that it is not an easy job to devise original puzzle content, and every year I am impressed at the challenge and fun that I experience with this event! Your efforts are deeply appreciated.

Second, I want to clarify:

Quote:
2. Each team will need only ONE internet/wifi device: smartphone, tablet, laptop.

Will each team be limited to one device?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bay Chang
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NO ANAGRAMMING? You are not a puzzler, NOR A GAMING MAN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.