Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Hi guys

Whats the difference between the different versions besides the artwork?

Which is the best version?

many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been told that the Sleuth box (from '82) is the best, but saying so is relative; I've also heard that the Sleuth binder version is pretty hip.

I own the most recent Ystari edition. Besides some translation hiccups, I really like it a lot. The artwork more than makes up for whatever issues.

In my opinion, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Ive got the option to buy either the old version or the new ystari version for about the same price. The older version looks more 'vintage' and thematic but i imagine the new version is more functional and mistake free.

Am i right?

(ive never played this game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've never actually seen the Sleuth version, but I do have their first edition Gumshoe (which I think is pretty sweet). For that reason, if I were buying for collection purposes, I would get the Sleuth version.

However, the Ystari edition does have some impressive artwork.

I don't know if it influences your decision - but if you ever decide to seek out the old expansion cases, they might be a better fit aesthetically with the older versions. As far as I am aware, those cases were reprinted in France to supplement the French Ystari edition. At present, there are no plans to release English versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from aesthetic differences, the third case (Mystified Murderess) has a different solution in the Ystari version than in the original.

Apparently the sixth case (The Mummy's Curse) has also been changed, but I haven't played that one (either the new or the original), and don't want to go into a thread about it and spoil anything for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original Sleuth binder version and the first expansion. I also have the Ystari version which, despite some noted translation snags, is quite nice.

I've actually played the Ystari version more times than I ever ever did with the Sleuth version. Mainly because my high school self knew how very cool it was at the time but was unable to get friends to play it.

So, I'd say jump on the Ystari set and have fun with it while you can!

I just hope Ystari releases more material in English!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.