Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see anything about this in the FAQ.
In the compiled rules, it says:
Quote:
CylonLeader may reveal Motive Cards if the requirements listed on those cards are met, based upon the status of the game when it ended. He cannot reveal a Motive Card if its requirement is not currently being met, even if it was previously met.

Does this mean that if the CL has revealed a Motive Card, then those circumstances no longer apply, the card must be flipped back over and the CL no longer gets to count that as being accomplished? That seems a bit unfair, since the players (either Cylon or Human) can try to keep the CL from achieving a now known goal.

There are two ways to resolve this, to me:
1) Once it's completed, a Motive 'counts' for the rest of the game.
2) If it no longer is applicable, discard it and draw a new motive.

Any thoughts? More importantly, I guess, has anyone ever seen this happen? I haven't, but we'd only got 3 games in with the Daybreak expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that's not what it means. It means the CL needs to pay attention and reveal the card at the right time ie You can't go "oh hey, the AQ was damaged earlier and I forgot to reveal this". Once a card is revealed, it stays revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
Quote:
CylonLeader may reveal Motive Cards if the requirements listed on those cards are met, based upon the status of the game when it ended. He cannot reveal a Motive Card if its requirement is not currently being met, even if it was previously met.

Does this mean that if the CL has revealed a Motive Card, then those circumstances no longer apply, the card must be flipped back over and the CL no longer gets to count that as being accomplished? That seems a bit unfair, since the players (either Cylon or Human) can try to keep the CL from achieving a now known goal.

Any thoughts? More importantly, I guess, has anyone ever seen this happen? I haven't, but we'd only got 3 games in with the Daybreak expansion.

No, that's not what it means at all. Basically, your #1 is the actual rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's take End The Chase as an example.

At setup, the CL is dealt two other Motives.
FTL Control is damaged. The Cylon Leader cannot Reveal End The Chase because they don't have it.
FTL Control is repaired.
Sleeper Phase happens. Cylon Leader is dealt End The Chase and a fourth Motive. The Cylon Leader cannot Reveal it, because even though FTL Control was damaged at some point, it is not currently damaged.
FTL Control is damaged again. The Cylon Leader may Reveal End The Chase now but, for some reason, chooses not to.
FTL Control is repaired again. The Cylon Leader can no longer Reveal End The Chase.
Admiral's Quarters are damaged. The Cylon Leader can Reveal End The Chase and chooses to do so.
Admiral's Quarters are repaired. The Cylon Leader does not need to "un-Reveal" End The Chase, because there's no condition on the card that says he must. The condition on the card only specifies when he can reveal it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
The Motive card must only be revealed at the time the conditions on the Motive card have been met. The Motive on that card is never checked again as it has been satisfied, other than end game determination if the CL has met enough Motives to win.

Some of the CL motives are temporary conditions that may only occur for a short period of time e.g. they have a Mutiny card and someone is in the Brig.

For those types of Motives, you have to be on your toes to reveal the card at the correct time during any players turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for the answers. That's what I had assumed was the case, but I'm not that familiar with the actual cards, so didn't know any examples off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
Quote:

Nice that you suggested that you'd draw a new Motive in the case a revealed Motive gets "un-revealed", but yeah, even then, that'd be cruel to the CL given how they can be easy to "un-reveal".

When you're dealing with this sort of hidden information, it doesn't make mechanical sense to be able to flip it back over again anyways, as knowing the information was the big deal on the card. Flipping it back face down doesn't make others forget what it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Flipping it back face down doesn't make others forget what it was.

It does, however, count against the Cylon Leader in terms of winning the game. Getting stuck with all four Motives that can be Revealed before the end of the game, meeting all four while the game progresses, and then having to flip two of them back over because the condition is no longer met would be painful if it worked that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.