Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions on these cards:

1. With Cerebral, (Once per turn as a free action, you may reduce your dominance by 1 and gain 3 research.) can I perform this if I am at 1 dominance?

2. If not, then Cerebral seems dominated, so to speak, by Plundering (If you destroy one or more enemy ships on your turn, increase your research by 3.) I realize there are a few cases where Cerebral would be better, even with the more strict interpretation. Like, having several dominance built up and then spending them each turn to get research, or getting dominance in some other way. Just curious, as Plundering seemed much better, as you get to keep the dominance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how you could be allowed to use the Cerebral ability if you only had 1 Dominance. The card tells you to reduce Dominance, and Dominance cannot be reduced below 1, so the ability cannot be used in this case.

As for Cerebral being outclassed by Plundering, well... you said it yourself that in some cases Cerebral would be more handy. Overall Plundering might be better, but most of the cards are circumstancial anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note, Tyrannical (Once per round as a free action, you may reduce your research by 1 and gain 1 dominance.) is worded the same way, and raises the same questions.

One argument in favor of allowing these cards to function when at the minimum dominance/research, is the way they are worded. They say to "reduce X AND gain Y". They do not say to "reduce X IN ORDER TO gain Y".

My jury is still out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By that logic, even if you had 5 Dominance, you wouldn't have to spend any of it in order to gain 3 Research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
By that logic, even if you had 5 Dominance, you wouldn't have to spend any of it in order to gain 3 Research.

No. The cards say "and" not "or". Invoke the card and then do all of it that you are able. Or don't invoke the card.

But, that is just one interpretation. If I had to guess, I would agree with you that you need to spend the research/dominance. But, again, the cards are not worded that way, and I think this deserves a clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry but I don't really see what's wrong with the wording of the card:

"you may reduce your dominance by 1 and gain 3 research"

So you may invoke this card to do these two things:
- reduce dominance by 1
- gain 3 research

If your dominance is 1, there's no way for you to reduce it any further. You're then unable to fulfil what the card is asking of you, so you cannot invoke it.

Would it have been better if it had been worded "you may reduce your dominance by 1 in order to gain 3 research". Yes, I guess. But the way it is currently worded is pretty clear as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Zimmerman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Lucas, Thanks for the excellent questions.

Thiago, Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed responses (here and in other Quantum threads).

On these issues, Thiago is correct. You can't reduce your Dominance or Research below 1, and you can't use the Cerebral or Tyrannical cards if those stats are at the minimum of 1. You are exchanging one stat for the other, and you need to do both parts of the equation in order to use the card power.

As far as whether Plundering trumps Cerebral - it may in many cases. But attacking is almost always a risk, whereas Cerebral always functions if you have the dominance to give.

I don't think I've seen it yet in a game, but if you had Cerebral *and* Plundering, just imagine - one successful attack and you can max out your Research!

Keep the questions coming and thanks for playing!
-eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Eric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
Sorry but I don't really see what's wrong with the wording of the card:

"you may reduce your dominance by 1 and gain 3 research"

So you may invoke this card to do these two things:
- reduce dominance by 1
- gain 3 research

If your dominance is 1, there's no way for you to reduce it any further. You're then unable to fulfil what the card is asking of you, so you cannot invoke it.

The trouble with that logic is it also kicks in when Research is at 4 - it can only go up by 2, not 3, while I would expect to be able to get to 6 research form either 4 or 5 using this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.