Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
In an OP2 event, we had a guy run 5 Romulan Scout ships and the Praetus with a full 7 Cloak mines compliment. Then he just flew around cloaked trying to dodge the OWPs and any stray shots the other person could shoot at him. I am not entirely sure on how he did with that strategy but I am thinking it was annoying to play against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
rangarth wrote:
5 Romulan Scout ships and the Praetus with a full 7 Cloak mines compliment.

So much money spent on minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rangarth wrote:
In an OP2 event, we had a guy run 5 Romulan Scout ships and the Praetus with a full 7 Cloak mines compliment. Then he just flew around cloaked trying to dodge the OWPs and any stray shots the other person could shoot at him. I am not entirely sure on how he did with that strategy but I am thinking it was annoying to play against.

ooof . yeah i bet that was a pain to deal with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rangarth wrote:

I can't think this would have worked very well in OP2. Since the OWPs were ships there wasn't much room to drop those mines.

I'm interested in the original question. I'll see a 4 cloaked mine fleet this weekend in my first OP3 event. I'll take some notes and report back on my experience with one in the same tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davedujour wrote:
rangarth wrote:

I can't think this would have worked very well in OP2. Since the OWPs were ships there wasn't much room to drop those mines.

I'm interested in the original question. I'll see a 4 cloaked mine fleet this weekend in my first OP3 event. I'll take some notes and report back on my experience with one in the same tournament.

I going to try this as well. I have laid everything out to scale and if you do this properly....the guns will work for you instead of against. Choke points are perfect with the mines. I do think 7 is practical....but 4 should be a force to be reckoned with.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ern2112 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
rangarth wrote:

I going to try this as well. I have laid everything out to scale and if you do this properly....the guns will work for you instead of against. Choke points are perfect with the mines. I do think 7 is practical....but 4 should be a force to be reckoned with.....

Please show me where you're going to put 7 Cloaked Mines in OP2 that 1) aren't within Range 2 of any OWP and 2) don't overlap their Range 1 field of affect.

I don't think any more than 4 are needed in OP2 and even that is at least 1 too many. More useful would be 1 or 2 for your starting corner.

FYI, in more than one OP2 game I flew straight through the middle of the OWP field, often between an OWP and the planet.. Sometimes a single ship was shot at by more than 1 OWP. They didn't bother me. I did take some hits but I think I only ever lost 1 ship to them out of 9 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
ern2112 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
rangarth wrote:

Please show me where you're going to put 7 Cloaked Mines in OP2 that 1) aren't within Range 2 of any OWP and 2) don't overlap their Range 1 field of affect.

I don't think any more than 4 are needed in OP2 and even that is at least 1 too many. More useful would be 1 or 2 for your starting corner.

FYI, in more than one OP2 game I flew straight through the middle of the OWP field, often between an OWP and the planet.. Sometimes a single ship was shot at by more than 1 OWP. They didn't bother me. I did take some hits but I think I only ever lost 1 ship to them out of 9 games.

They can be placed in the corners. Remember that they do not block each other so you can have some overlap, just not stacked ability. I placed 2 that overlapped. If my opponent got through the first, then the second would damage them. If you go around dropping 2 per corner in each of 3 corners, and 1 in the remaining corner, then they would fit. I think this method would be necessary given that the generics have 0 shield & 2 hull, and only the unique Praetus can cloak. An opponent would need to take a shortcut to catch up to them & that shortcut means getting shot up by the OWP. Avoiding those would require running through the mines. I did it with 2 cloaked minefields, but I used 2 D'Deridex ships that can back up so I was able to stay near a corner, but keep my weapons facing my opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
davedujour wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what builds were you playing when you did this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davedujour wrote:
ern2112 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
rangarth wrote:

No intentions of using 7 mines.....should have said do NOT think 7 is practical. Ill be doing this with 4 and that's more than enough IMO.

Also....are you saying the owp are considered ships? I could not find that anywhere but could have missed it. If they are considered ships.....you can still work with it but it will complicate things some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ern2112 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
ern2112 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
rangarth wrote:

No intentions of using 7 mines.....should have said do NOT think 7 is practical. Ill be doing this with 4 and that's more than enough IMO.

Also....are you saying the owp are considered ships? I could not find that anywhere but could have missed it. If they are considered ships.....you can still work with it but it will complicate things some.

Yes, the OWPs are considered ships. Check the FAQ. Cloaked Mines placement is very limited in OP2 because of this. You probably don't need more than 1 or 2 mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
davedujour wrote:
ern2112 wrote:
davedujour wrote:
rangarth wrote:

They can be placed in the corners. Remember that they do not block each other so you can have some overlap, just not stacked ability. I placed 2 that overlapped. If my opponent got through the first, then the second would damage them. If you go around dropping 2 per corner in each of 3 corners, and 1 in the remaining corner, then they would fit. I think this method would be necessary given that the generics have 0 shield & 2 hull, and only the unique Praetus can cloak. An opponent would need to take a shortcut to catch up to them & that shortcut means getting shot up by the OWP. Avoiding those would require running through the mines. I did it with 2 cloaked minefields, but I used 2 D'Deridex ships that can back up so I was able to stay near a corner, but keep my weapons facing my opponents.

I was more than happy to fly through the OWP to get better position. Rolling 7-9 defense dice meant the measly 4 attack rarely got through. It didn't work every time, but it worked often enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first match-up in OP3 I had saw 3 cloaked mines v. my 2 cloaked mines. Was an interesting exercise in board denial. My mines wound up doing a whole lot of nothing, other than keeping him on his side of the board. His dinged my ships as I flew through them, but I got a bunch of lucky rolls that helped me to carry the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.