Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something here? I've read many reviews that say the component quality is excellent. I got to try this game recently, and I thought the component quality was awful. I really liked the game, but cannot see myself purchasing a game with such poor components.

To be fair, the miniatures are excellent and the painting is as nice as one could expect. But that is where it ended. The game I played had warping map tiles and warping player mats. The cards felt extremely thin and fragile. I was afraid I would damage them just by shuffling, and I am the lightest shuffler I know.

This game is priced at a premium. The components should have been much better at this price point. It's not even a close call for me.

I understand that opinions may differ, but am I the only one who is disappointed with the component quality? I think it hit a nerve with me because this game has SO much else going for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
Germany
Senftenberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problems with the quality of my game pieces.
No warping at all, and the cards are sturdy and more than adequate.
You do understand that each card set is individual and that there are no two identical sets, don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure what you are looking for but I have been gaming since the early 1980s and the components for SMG are top notch compared to a lot of games out there that I have seen. It is a lot better than some of the Avalon Hill products that were put out, especially near the end of their run. The cards for Enemy in Sight, which was reprinted by Lost Battalion Games, were nothing but light cardstock in the AH version.

My wife and I have played a ton of Brawling Battleships by LBG, a card naval game, and have never had any issues with the cards. I have played a lot SMG with different people and never had an issue with the cards being damaged. Obviously if someone bends a card that will damage any card unless hard cardboard like some Euro games.

The warping could be how or where the game is stored. I bought one of the first copies of Day of Days at Historicon when it was released and haven't had any issue with warping. On occasion I have seen a tile that was slightly warped but just doing a slight back bend or putting it under something heavy for a little while corrected that. Storing all of the items flat in piles in the boxes, so that nothing is "hanging" down over the edge of another tile, seems to work to prevent issues in storage.

Whenever I have played the game people have commented on the quality of the components.

I am not sure what quality components you are looking for but good luck finding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have hae absolutely NO problems with my componenets. Boards have been great. Cards are coated well and stand up to play no problem. All the expansions I have received are tip top. The mapboard is thicker than I expected them to be. Sure I have to wipe the residue off them but big deal. This is a game that I cherish and fully support. I don't think you can find better components from any other small publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
i have to agree with the others. I have never had any kind of warping issues at all with any of my sets. the tiles are on heavy, well made stock and the cards have a tough laminent on them that makes them pretty durable from my experience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also must agree with the others. I have had no issues with the components of this game and have had it for a year and a half. This is good quality stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I haven't experienced any warping tiles.
The cards are kinda thin, but I sleeve them so I'm not super sensitive to that.
So, no real component complaints here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have had no warping issues. Cards seem slightly thin but are well coated. I sleeve anyway so this doesn't bother me. Map boards are fine. I can see how someone would want thick cardboard player boards like many boardgames have but this doesn't bother me.

My only component complaint is the off-centered grenade and spotted markers which seem to be common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I am a sleeving fanatic, but for some reason, I have no urge to sleeve SMG cards. Their plastic construction makes sleeving them unnecessary. Trust me, if I even smell the tiny chance of card wear, I sleeve. So far, component quality has never been an issue.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with these fine fellows, I have had no problems with my stock. I wonder why you experience warped boards? Were they stored on a concrete floor or got wet maybe?

-Jeff M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
Am I missing something here?

Apparently so whistle. The quality of the components has never really been an issue before. I have a number of Victory point games which use cards and the SMG ones are far superior (and the VP game ones aren't half-bad). I'd be interested to know where you encountered a game where the components did not meet your expectations? Perhaps that person has an explanation as to why his/her game didn't seem to hold up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to chime in with everyone else. I do a fair amount of demoing and have not had any issues with components. I understand that the cards may feel a little thin, but all the variety of shuffling that people have done, my cards are no worse for the wear.
To me the quality of the components has been one of the main high lights of the game system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I guess I am in the minority. The set I played was from a place that is very humid in the summer and very dry in the winter, so maybe that had something to do with it. I can't say how it's been handled, although I have no reason to believe that it was abused. Nice to hear that things are holding together. Sounds like my situation was not the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
Well... I guess I am in the minority. The set I played was from a place that is very humid in the summer and very dry in the winter, so maybe that had something to do with it. I can't say how it's been handled, although I have no reason to believe that it was abused. Nice to hear that things are holding together. Sounds like my situation was not the norm.
I live in the MidWest region of the USA and I have some mild warping with the map tiles and mats that I suspect has resulted from the humidity changes. The warpage is far less than other games I have. The small amount of warpage has not affected game play (much). There are those occasional moments when someone has tried to slide a figure only to get it "tripped" but it is more amusement than issue.

The cards are not what I am used to (they are not "standard" playing cards in size or thickness or finish) but I have found them to be durable and quite playable. I play plenty of games that have cards and am now quite used to unusual sizes so this is not a problem for me. I usually sleeve but have not found sleeves for this game, nor does it appear that I will need any.

So far the only real quibbles I have about the components are that I have no local players and that there have been a few rules holes (easily patched). Not finding players is getting to be a regular issue with almost every game, as are holes in rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hopefully ver 2.0 of the SMG rules has plugged most of those holes...finding gamers has been an issue for a number of us unfortunately meeple...part of that could be the low exposure of SMG at cons in the Midwest, it does have a relatively high price point, but I do think that exposure at cons in the heartland vs three trips to the same place in Lancaster could help to overcome that whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
I do think that exposure at cons in the heartland vs three trips to the same place in Lancaster could help to overcome that whistle

Hey! I'm doing my part! I run games annually at Little Wars, and twice a year at OctoCon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Parker
England
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing board games for nearly 50 years and from my experience LBG products are at the top end of the quality range.

The boards, cards and figures are all made to a high standard and I have no experience of wearing or warpage despite living in the extremely damp north of England.

I would happily recommend the product to anyone I meet, although I would warn them of the need for deep pockets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may be that I am coming from a boardgame perspective rather than a wargame perspective. Folks used to paper maps and small print runs probably have no complaints with the components. But compared to many board games I own I found them lacking. For the record, I also own wargames - but I also paid a lot less for them. I wasn't expecting Memoir '44 quality, but I at least found the player mats and the cards thinner than I was anticipating.

Are the cards made of plastic? If so, that makes a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are not made of plastic but are heavily coated. Jeff likes to make a demo about trying to scuff or damage them.

As someone else posted, if you folded them and made a hard crease they probably wouldn't like it much. Also fire and scissors would be a problem.

I am curious at your separation of "Boardgame" and "wargame." Monopoly is a Boardgame too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play plenty of board games with a game group that has over 2,000 games, so I'm not coming from a wargame (paper map or whatever) point of view when I say that SMG components are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why people seem to compare SMG to just board games and always how it's so much more expensive than this or that.

While it *is* a board game (and thus plays on a board) it is also a miniatures game that uses miniatures. If you compare SMG to Flames of War or any other true miniature game the cost of SMG is much much lower. If you compare SMG to other hybrid board/mini games such as X-Wing or Dust (premium) I think the cost is in the same neighborhood.

Kilarmey, I would guess that the 12+ people who have responded would represent a rather diverse pool of gaming experiences of which to compare SMG to. It seems a little unjust to lump everyone who disagrees into the "Folks used to paper maps and small print runs" group.

One other thing if I may, when you say "player mats" are you referring to the placemat looking piece that shows where you put your deck, phase cards, and discard? Because those were quite thin in the first run iirc. There are thicker ones now that are like the map tiles. Could you tell us when you played, was it just the Day of Days box or were there expansions used as well? I'm just trying to understand why your experience seems so off from the norm.

-Jeff M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's put this in perspective...I recently purchased "Mr. Madison's War". It's a paper map with the usual cardboard counters, player aids and a deck of cards...price was $57US, not including tax. It's a solid game, with good components. DoD is selling for $90US. But the components are much better. The cards are better, the boards are thicker and stiff, and you also get player aids...and...10 hand painted minis. I also own several versions of Diplomacy. The game board is no better nor worse than those that come with SMG. The wooden pieces are, functional but not detailed. The game can be purchased anywhere from 25 to 50 bucks depending on condition, etc...or free if you play via email...all things being equal, SMG is not for everyone, but it's quality is at the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanomag wrote:
One other thing if I may, when you say "player mats" are you referring to the placemat looking piece that shows where you put your deck, phase cards, and discard? Because those were quite thin in the first run iirc. There are thicker ones now that are like the map tiles.
I was referring to that piece. In the game I played, they were slightly thicker than a standard office supply folder. They were nowhere near as thick as the map pieces.

To be frank, my primary issue was with the card thickness. Since the cards get used so much, I expected them to be thicker. I could live with the other things I noticed, but the card thickness was the biggest deal-breaker for me. Fortunately, that can be mitigated with sleeving.

I will say that two people I played with had the same reaction to the component quality. If it were just me I wouldn't have mentioned anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough and I hope you don't feel jumped on. I do think that the mat pieces (that you refer to) that I have might indeed be bowing a bit. But as I said it is outdated and never used before I had the thicker one. I just didn't like the aid and I place my cards how I like on the table.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to shuffle thicker or sleeved cards. At least when you use a bunch of troops and your deck is kind of tall. But to each their own.

-Jeff M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that if you play the game on a table that is warped, or creased, or has folds in it, the tiles may stick up a bit at the edges, giving the appearance that THEY are warped. If you make sure your under-surface is flat, you should be rewarded with a nice smooth playing surface.

Oh, and I agree with the majority here - I have nothing but good things to say about the cards/tiles/etc. that I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.