Ben Bruckart
United States
Gainesville
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Winless Streaker
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered the game after reading the rules a few times and talking to some friends.

I had some basic questions about the gameplay.
1. I understand how to resolve conflicts during turns where a turn order needs to be established. I would imagine tho from the rulebook that this may occur alot during the fourth stage of the game when laying bricks in the wonder. Wouldn't people want to be first in laying their bricks to increase their increment of payout per level or does that not occur that often?

2. Where can I find a good proposed map for a starter game? Or is that just one of the learning steps?

3. Does the game come with a dry erase marker for the map?
-Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ben,
Not played my new 4th edition copy yet.
I can answer two of your questions:

2) there is a learning/ starter map in the scenario book for first game.

3) yes there is a staedtler non permanent marker pen included with the game.

Unfortunately there is a printing error ( first discovered by user Tumerous)
To the small coin chits, they are barely visible, 3 black dots instead of 3 gold ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, turn order conflicts occur much more in the movement phase than in the wonder construction phase. Often one player will snag first player so they can run their units over and pick up some resources that are lying on the ground. Sometimes I'll also snag turn order in the production phase so I can snag a gold popping out of a mine or use a secondary producer to capacity before my opponent. Rarely do I bother wasting my opportunity to grab first player so I can contribute to the wonder and hit the last brick in a row or something like that. Although I tend to ignore the wonder and focus on coin/stock production. I think, in practice, the winner is almost always the person who has the most points from stocks/coins, with ties maybe broken by wonder points.

As mentioned, the scenario booklet included with the games has several maps for each player count, which are a good place to start. I would not recommend constructing your own map until you get some experience on pre-constructed maps.

And yes, the game comes with a marker. But personally I just use components from another game to mark roads/bridges rather than using the plastic cover and marker. I usually use TransAmerica railroad track pieces for roads/bridges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
To the small coin chits, they are barely visible, 3 black dots instead of 3 gold ones.

Not, for the record, discovered by me -- I was just the one to photograph it for BGG.

Also, as to #3, note that the included marker is wet-erase, like the kind typically used for overhead transparencies. (Dry-erase might be a little too easy to smudge away with all these chits moving about...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally the ability to jump to the front of the line is worth more than snagging slightly better wonder brick placement, up until the last turn (when people later in line may not get to place their bricks).

The game does come with a wet-erase market (which I eventually lost but they're cheap). I do recommend adding a piece of plexiglass, which you can pick up for around $10 at your local hardware store, rather than using what they include.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played half a game on Monday so all the points were from wonder bricks, the mines were unluckily producing just iron until we stopped.

I'd say turn order will happen more on the wonder phase at the beginning then more on the produce/move later on as there is some geographical conflict.

My game ended with a build conflict where one player built a wagon factory on the site of someones hopeful new quarry location.

I've not had any problem with the new plastic sheet seems to work quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bruckart
United States
Gainesville
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Winless Streaker
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. So turn order on the wonder could be a thing but its more important for snagging goods turning movement and building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.