Subject: What strategies and tricks have you adopted? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete McPherson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After four plays, my group and I have come up with a handful of tricks that improve our chances ever so slightly—but the combination of these tricks has made victory that much easier.

Captain:
Aid other stations in any way possible when not performing an action (especially with Tractor memorization)

Tractor:
Use a mnemonic device (such as the one proposed by LessonIsNe) to remember the location of matching tiles. Also, rely on other players as much as possible to help memorize. Here's the memorization technique my group uses:
Assigne letters (A, B, C, D, E...) to each tile. When a match is made, choose two words that start with the letters of those tiles and have a number of syllables equal to the value of the match when totaled.
Example: A value 3 match between B and F could be "Big Fingers." This way, not only is the location of the match memorized but also its value.

Engineer:
Stack tiles before starting the timer to make flipping easier. While making a straight line of tiles does guarantee 13 energy, I find that it's usually best to go for a 2x3 box with one tile hanging off of a side.

Sensors:
As you're searching for pieces, hold pieces that are not any that you are looking for in your palm, therefore making the search pool smaller.

Shields:
Stack tiles as done by the Engineer to make flipping easier.

What strategies and tricks have you picked up that have made certain stations easier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
If you want to make tractor easy, you can have one player focus on each numerical value. That's pretty easy to do and it doesn't require much explanation.

If you are taking "Big Fingers" to be 3, then your syllable method doesn't work with the 1s. In addition it seems to require that matching tiles are found in a timely manner. (e.g. If you flipped the 3-triangle and 3-star on a very early flip but didn't find it's matching tile until many flips later, would you remember which one was where?)

Perhaps you should change it so that the number of syllables in the first word indicate the value. That way as soon as you flip a tile you can name it. When the matching tile comes up you can find a word to go with the first and the syllables to the second word are irrelevant. To differentiate between the square and circle, and the star and triangle, you could try using plural words for the square and star. In order to better keep track whether the word should be plural or singular, you could form it into a sentence or fragment. Other words could be included because they would be out of alphabetical order so they could be ignored.

e.g. Apes love Bananas but not candy or donuts. -> 1-Square, 3-Star, 2-Circle, 2-Square.

But again, I think it's just easier to say, "Andy, you remember that one. Bob, you remember those two. Chris, you remember that three and I'll remember the fours when they come up."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.