Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules under construction. Updated June 1, 2016
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8y4bybvfxT8VWNab0sxR1dFNU0...

Rule changes so far:

Control of Generic bases can be traded in exchange for votes

everyone starts with a 2258 ambassador on B5 for free.

A player may trade in a War Token to change 1 vote for the owner of the war token to abstain.

If you have a crew card with a later year then you have on the table (with the same name) you may place that crew down for free and discard the older one.

Everyone gets 4 empire cards from a common deck of empires not being played. and may exchange them if they are in their hand to draw a new one.

Squadrons block hyperspace movement but not regular movement.

Still playing around with deck building, but i've made 6 generic decks of all my generic cards. each player will pick one and add his empire cards to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done something similar. Again, I don't play against people who bring their own. I'm providing all the components.

I've found that the important thing is to give everyone a chance for the 'voting win'. If one deck doesn't end up with enough voting cards to pull it off, that's not even an option.

The way we deal with the decks is to divide up the generic cards evenly, in two lots. Votes in one, other cards in the other. The cards for a particular race go to that race's controller, of course.

The cards for races not in the game we've either shuffled in, or in some cases, left them out entirely. The reason for that was that there had been some grousing about one player, (Centauri, I think) ended up with all of the Earth crew by random happenstance. So, the next few times, we just left the non-played races out entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about discards? It doesn't say whether you can or can't discard.

Since you have to pay to get cards, I don't see a problem in discarding when ever you want. It wastes money.

I have a test game going right now, and this is what I've done.

Playing Minbari, Centari, Earth, Narn.

Each deck was built to have the exact same # of cards. The generic cards were evenly split. Although I didn't further even out the Vote cards. Not a bad idea.

Then the Psi Core, Vorlon, Shadow, and League cards were all shuffled and again evenly distributed.

Each Empire then divided their deck in half. all the 2259 cards were shuffled into the bottom half and the 2258 cards into the top half.

Each empire starts with the 2258 version of their ambassador.

For this trial run, i'm going to say all crew that gets played is on B5 and can't move off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing i'm having a problem with is Squadrons.

I see ZERO reason for deploying them and then a recovery at the beginning of your next turn.

Especially since they can't contest space and they get a forced recovery if someone moves into their space.

I think they should be able to block and contest space. That would make squadrons highly defensive.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brief aside: I've got a bunch of extra components if anyone is interested, none of it makes a complete game but if you're looking for extra counters etc I might be able to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAGE13 wrote:

I see ZERO reason for deploying them and then a recovery at the beginning of your next turn.

Especially since they can't contest space and they get a forced recovery if someone moves into their space.

I think they should be able to block and contest space. That would make squadrons highly defensive.

The reason for deploying fighters and recovering them at the start of your next turn...is to shoot at things. You have a quick response set of weapons that you can throw into action.

I think that allowing them to block would make a game that already has issues with 'Why can my ship only move like this during a turn?' that much more 'game-y'.

Now having them contest builds...that's worth considering, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAGE13 wrote:
What about discards? It doesn't say whether you can or can't discard.

Since you have to pay to get cards, I don't see a problem in discarding when ever you want. It wastes money.

I don't see a problem either with this, honestly. You're right. It's just a waste of money.

Quote:

For this trial run, i'm going to say all crew that gets played is on B5 and can't move off.

There's little reason anyway to move crew from B5 unless you're using 'missions' from the Star Trek versions of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
syphon wrote:
[q="KAGE13"]
There's little reason anyway to move crew from B5 unless you're using 'missions' from the Star Trek versions of the game.

some crew abilities affect adjacent ships, or the ship they are on. I think. very few of them if they do.

Psi core for sure, have to be allowed on other ships.

I was thinking of having the command stat mean 'something' if a character is on a ship.

maybe even medical.

looking for good reasons to put them on ships.

I actually wouldn't mind coming up with some 'missions'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAGE13 wrote:

some crew abilities affect adjacent ships, or the ship they are on. I think. very few of them if they do.

I don't believe there are any crew members in the B5 sets that actually have powers that only work on board a ship. You can move people from B5 itself to try to make them...less of a target for assassins or whatnot, but as things stand, there's little reason to move them off the station.

Quote:

Psi core for sure, have to be allowed on other ships.

I was thinking of having the command stat mean 'something' if a character is on a ship.

This would probably be best achieved with card effects that reference the command stat (or other relevant stat) while on board a ship.

Quote:

I actually wouldn't mind coming up with some 'missions'.

The missions are worthwhile looking into. I can track down what the ST ones are so that they can be used as a template, or carried over directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol ha, you are going to make me go through my cards aren't you?

syphon wrote:
[q="KAGE13"]

The missions are worthwhile looking into. I can track down what the ST ones are so that they can be used as a template, or carried over directly.

ya that would be fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya you were right, no abilities matter on location.

I thought for sure the psi ability guys did.

If you have someone with a psi ability, any ship you have next to a shadow ship can try to stop it. I originally read that wrong.

ya I think you would move guys off B5 to protect them. and then maybe if we can make up some mission cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to type it up yet, but there are Missions as well as crew in the Star Trek games that have 'on ship' effects.

For example...if Picard's on an undamaged vessel that is blown up, it becomes only damaged instead.

I'll work on typing up a list of all of the effects. I'm sure some of them would make sense to carry over to a B5 version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually typed up the contents of all of the cards for the two Star Trek games in an Excel spreadsheet, and submitted it as a file here. I'll let you know as soon as it's approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And...it's approved.

Star Trek CGS Card Manifest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting. doesn't look too difficult to make something similar.

but would have to create a new deck, i'll never be able to print the cards the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a good start on the rules. Have a look. I'll keep the link on the may post and keep an update here. If you guys have suggestions or changes post them here as well.

The deeper I get into this game the more I like it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-XW-gfRjcuyqHzms5ea2npIh...

I'm going to try and organize and make it look like a Fantasy Flight Rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KAGE13 wrote:

I finally figured this out. Not sure how I missed these rules.

Fighters can actually stay out for 2 turns before they are destroyed. If they cannot dock they get flipped to the crippled side.

And they can block Hyperspace lanes. Ships must jump to unoccupied spaces. But when ships move (different then Hyper jump) they can force fighters to dock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also going to change how player decks work a bit. I understand their intentions a little better after looking at versions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 of the rules.

A base deck will be 30 distinct cards. No duplicates. duplicates can be added later, and you can have no more then 3 of the same card.

This also means you can only have 3 cards from other factions (combined)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have still been working on this.

Here is my rulebook with the changes I've made in red.

Still not complete, but it is playable with my rule changes. trying to clean up text of the original rule book.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8y4bybvfxT8VWNab0sxR1dFNU0...

We are going to play test this weekend, so hope to get some more ideas. I will at least try to clean up the original rulebook in the next few weeks.

I know a few people have been asking to finish this. I've been hung up on how to do graphics, so I procrastinate. I've also been trying to figure out a way to make it more Euro rather then axis and allies turn based. but think we might be stuck.

i've changed the link and posted major rule changes at the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.