United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

per Sandy:

Quote:
I hereby officially announce that the solo/co-op version of the game I am leaving COMPLETELY up to fans. I.e., I am not going to do it. Good luck guys.

Cthulhu Wars: Singularity v2

1/2016 v2 Update:
I recently read about Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu being released soon for GenCon, it made me want to pick this variant back up again and have another stab at it now that I actually have Cthulhu Wars in hand and access to all the components. My previous version relied on some other outside components, but this time around I'm wanting to develop it based on the components included with the game with almost no other components required.

Catch phrase!

Other Cthulhu Wars projects/variants:
Cthulhu Wars Compendium
Cthulhu Wars: HEX (map variant)
Cthulhu Wars: Singularity (Single-player)
The Destroying Eye faction
The Shifting Blade faction
Liber Maledicta: Neutral Spellbooks
Asenath Waite/Cthulhu Dice variant
Location cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jb Lovecrafty

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cthulhu Wars: Solo-Apocalypse (1p variant)
I am interested in this and would totally love to have a variant like this. Also I would be willing to playtest the rules if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Made an update to the rules to streamline things. Whereas before you placed Artifact tokens all over the board and moved around the map to pick those up in order to draw Artifact cards, I've just made it so that Artifact cards are automatically drawn at the end of every turn. This is to constantly push things forward in-game so that the player can't just "stop the clock" by not claiming Artifact tokens and it also cuts down on set-up/clutter since that's 20 less tokens to mess with. I think the thing that makes other 1p-possible games so great is that constant sense of impending disaster. The player should always feel slightly overwhelmed and that they're just one unlucky card draw away from their careful planning going up in smoke.

The Artifact cards themselves will be split up into 4 different groups, 3 of which have symbols matching the area symbols on the board (so that it can also be used on the other maps). There's a 4th symbol I'm just making up that will indicate ocean areas. In order to claim an artifact, you need 3 matching Artifact cards, your Great Old One, and a controlled Gate on an area that matches the ones on the Artifact cards you're turning in. This should prod players to actually move around the map and get out of their base of operations. Also, it gives a reason for players to actually bring out their Great Old One (as opposed to before where there was really no reason to bring out a GOO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jb Lovecrafty

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot wait to check these rules out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axman George
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed -- thanks to Sid for risking your sanity on our behalf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardnotbored boardnotbored
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This sounds great. With so much stuff to play with in CW I'm not likely to be able to get group of folks together regularly enough to really explore the game so a 1P option is a great opportunity. Thanks every so much for your efforts! I'd also be up for playtesting the rules though actually having time to sort out a print n play copy might in of itself present a problem at the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm actually just working from a crudely traced map of the board, along with some cut up bits of paper for the cards. Then for the actual pieces, I just have different colored washers for some tokens and pocket change for the different monsters. It's about at as ghetto as it gets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jb Lovecrafty

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in seeing a solo version of the game.

This one sounds almost like you are simply using the game pieces to, in essence, design a completely different game? If so, I applaud you. (Personally, I love games that are also "game design kits".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For the most part I guess it's a different game, it's using the same common actions and alot of the same elements/victory conditions, but the other human "faction" in this has to be able to run on auto-pilot. To me, Cthulhu Wars is about asymmetrical sides using wild/crazy powers and employing strategies to get a leg up on the other player(s). I think this solo version is shaping up to be more about treating Humanity like a contagion and crushing it into the ground, I guess it's the run-up to the actual Cthulhu Wars. It's a mash-up of Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Cthulhu Wars.

I'd love if the Human "faction" had some kind of abilities it could do or be able to use spellbooks in this, but I think alot of abilities/spellbooks wouldn't make sense in this format.

If anything, it's turning into a nice refresher for learning the rules. I've noticed it turns into a puzzle almost: "Lets see, I've got 10 power to spend, Europe is likely to be overrun with humans if I don't get somebody over there, but my nearest unit is the only thing defending East Africa..." I'll see where this goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules and really liked them!

Maybe I'll use them with my Pacific Rim variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! I saw that Pacific Rim variant and it looks good, in that setting it would actually make sense there to give the human "faction" special abilities related to whichever mech pops up. Maybe instead of Humanity tokens, the tokens would be the power level of a mech that's stationed there and when it reaches a certain # of tokens, it does its special ability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Mortis
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Thanks! I saw that Pacific Rim variant and it looks good, in that setting it would actually make sense there to give the human "faction" special abilities related to whichever mech pops up. Maybe instead of Humanity tokens, the tokens would be the power level of a mech that's stationed there and when it reaches a certain # of tokens, it does its special ability?

Imagine if you did that with a collection of 40k miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:

I believe that both variants could be applied directly. I really like mechs, but also liked the human infestation of this variant of yours.

For sure, when my game arrives, I'll be playing both variants together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think using meeples in this variant would be hilariously appropriate.

Or yea, I guess the Arkham Horror figures or RAFM minis would work too:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jb Lovecrafty

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on this variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've been doing random playtests from time to time, but work/personal obligations have been cropping up lately and I haven't been able to get really deep into it again. Likely during/after the holidays I may get some time freed up, but we'll see. I want to playtest more of the other factions to see how they stack up. I suspect my playtests with Great Cthulhu may have thrown things off with their 1-to-1 cost/combat ratio. Also, since more info is coming in about the expansion factions, I can start to try out them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jb Lovecrafty

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too cannot wait to give this a shot! Thanks for the hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Made an update to this single-player variant to now include rules for spellbooks, I went in and adjusted all the faction spellbooks (and added in some neutral spell books on top of Azathoth neutral spell books) to make them work in a single-player format. Though now you're restricted to only being able to choose 4 spellbooks, and you pick up a spellbook whenever you claim an Artifact (so the last one may not really get used depending on how far along you are). Of course, none of this has been play tested extensively, I'd like to go about that systematically and start recording results/sessions to get an idea of how each of the factions perform and if there's any balance issues. At the very least, I'm finding that playing with Cthulhu is like playing on easy mode, as his 1:1 combat ratio seems crucial. I also upgraded my components with meeples and more easily identifiable parts.

Some pics:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I recently read about Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu being released soon for GenCon, it made me want to pick this single-player variant back up again and have another stab at it now that I actually have Cthulhu Wars in hand and access to all the components. My previous version relied on some other outside components (Location card deck, Artifact card deck, Humanity tokens), but this time around I'm wanting to develop it based on the components included with the game with almost no other components required. Thus far in my development, I'm hoping this only needs Humanity tokens (meeples?) and the rules, but I'll see what I come up with for it.

Instead of using Location cards that are randomly drawn, my current thinking is to use the Faction Glyph tokens that are included with the game as a way to randomize where Humanity strikes next. I'm also putting the Elder Sign tokens to use as things that need to be collected around the map to win the game and End the World. I'm thinking of just ditching the spellbooks that come with each Faction and just come up with a whole new set of spellbooks, but I'll see what pans out during this new ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.