Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: identify [+] [View All]
Yvonne Gregory
United Kingdom
Abergele
UK
flag msg tools
Hi everyone

I would like to challenge you all to identify a game that has eluded my brother and me for about two decades.

When I was a young girl, a silly friend destroyed or took a game that we in our family loved and since then, its name has been forgotten and no amount of research has revealed its identity.

I remember only a few details about it. The main clue is that it had a set of cards based on mythological characters and I know that this set had major and minor ones. There was definitely a grim reaper and a chimera. These characters also appeared on the inside of the lid. Big cards, little cards.

The box had a man stretching out like he wanted to escape something.

The game consisted of a linear path and different sections that the hero had to get through to escape. Maybe there was a pit and a kind of maze.

My brother remembers skulls.

The winner was the first to the end.

This is a real challenge. I've really had a good look and so far absolutely no luck.

Please help. It's driving us crazy!

Yv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Manicat wrote:
Hi everyone

I would like to challenge you all to identify a game that has eluded my brother and me for about two decades.

When I was a young girl, a silly friend destroyed or took a game that we in our family loved and since then, its name has been forgotten and no amount of research has revealed its identity.

I remember only a few details about it. The main clue is that it had a set of cards based on mythological characters and I know that this set had major and minor ones. There was definitely a grim reaper and a chimera. These characters also appeared on the inside of the lid. Big cards, little cards.

The box had a man stretching out like he wanted to escape something.

The game consisted of a linear path and different sections that the hero had to get through to escape. Maybe there was a pit and a kind of maze.

My brother remembers skulls.

The winner was the first to the end.

This is a real challenge. I've really had a good look and so far absolutely no luck.

Please help. It's driving us crazy!

Yv

I'm happy to have a look for you, but it would really help if you could give a timeframe of when this game might have been released (or when you owned it)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your description makes me think of Dark World. Best of luck finding out what it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvonne Gregory
United Kingdom
Abergele
UK
flag msg tools
Great to see a couple of quick responses. The time would have been 1989 - 1992 and bought in Manchester England. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvonne Gregory
United Kingdom
Abergele
UK
flag msg tools
Thanks for this suggestions. I just had a look. It's not the one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Manicat wrote:
Great to see a couple of quick responses. The time would have been 1989 - 1992 and bought in Manchester England. Hope this helps!

That really does!! Whilst I have found no game that exactly matches your criteria, I have found 3 possible candidates that I think may be close.

1: Gauntlet. This features heroes going from room to room in a fantasy setting, facing challenges but no skulls and, no chimeras / Grim Reaper.

2: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. My search didn't return this, but my personal ownership of it leads me to suggest it. It was published pre the date range you gave me, but not by much. There are a whole host monsters in it, maybe one was a chimera? The Grim Reaper could be the boat man that you may use to cross the river. The cards in the game are both big (Zagor's Maze) and, small (the Monsters and Treasures). You basically go from room to room looking for keys. It does however lack skulls (I think), and wasn't really linear.

3: Hero Gladiators. An early 90's game where heroes compete to make their way up an arena (linear), and the point markers where skulls. There was also a pit in the arena (two possibly).

Out of the three though, I think #2 is the most likely, and there was another similar game released (Legend of Zagor) that it could also be?

Hope this helps you some. :0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvonne Gregory
United Kingdom
Abergele
UK
flag msg tools
Gosh how nice of you to spend time trying Tom. However, none of the suggestions is the one. I've been baffled by this as my mother almost certainly bought it from some main stream shop like WHSmiths or a games shop so why it should be so obscure... I think the most crucial clue is the presence of the different creatures because I am absolutely sure about this detail. I learnt what a chimera is from this game and the Grim Reaper scared me a bit.

After looking at these suggestions, keys rings a bell...

There were sections for sure, like rooms or spaces and each one could hold you up.

Wish I could remember more. Very frustrating. Thanks Tom.

Yv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvonne Gregory
United Kingdom
Abergele
UK
flag msg tools
Thanks also Koldfoot but also not Talisman...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Manicat wrote:
Gosh how nice of you to spend time trying Tom. However, none of the suggestions is the one. I've been baffled by this as my mother almost certainly bought it from some main stream shop like WHSmiths or a games shop so why it should be so obscure... I think the most crucial clue is the presence of the different creatures because I am absolutely sure about this detail. I learnt what a chimera is from this game and the Grim Reaper scared me a bit.

After looking at these suggestions, keys rings a bell...

There were sections for sure, like rooms or spaces and each one could hold you up.

Wish I could remember more. Very frustrating. Thanks Tom.

Yv

Not a problem. :0).

I think a reason that it might have fallen into obscurity is that a lot of games around that time in the UK (at least where I lived) where one-shots, or short runs from companies that didn't typically produce games. Often low quality (A Wish Trolls, Power Rangers rip-off, and Dinosaur are games I remember in particular) but many of them (certainly those three) I have fond memories of.

If keys rings a bell though, how about Key to the Kingdom? Released in 1990 it fits nicely in your timeframe. :0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what you are describing sounds a lot like Masters of the Universe..

Masters of the Universe

(It has some different versions, so if this isn't it, do a search on Masters of the Universe)

The main board has "a linear path and different sections that the hero had to get through to escape. Maybe there was a pit and a kind of maze."

I think your grim reaper/skulls could be the character 'Skeleton'

And the chimera could be 'Battle Cat'

Hope this helps. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest! Skeletons, pit traps, linear path through a maze, big cards, little cards, dude stretching out on the cover:

And the box contained a bunch of loose skulls too, for sticking onto the plastic furniture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvonne Gregory
United Kingdom
Abergele
UK
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Still all no. Although I do have Hero Quest and love it. I came across Key to the Kingdom in my own search but it's not the same.

I can see why you've made all these suggestions, so sorry to disappoint. It's incredibly frustrating!

I hope you all keep making suggestions... someone out there must have had it too...

Yv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Richards
United Kingdom
Redruth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the game from experience, but how about Curse of the Idol?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I suspect it is Horror House. The cover doesn't seem to match, but it has six large monster cards, one of which is the Grim Reaper, and a bunch of small monster cards, one of which is a chimera. There is a maze on the board. There was a UK edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Richards
United Kingdom
Redruth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
I suspect it is Horror House. The cover doesn't seem to match, but it has six large monster cards, one of which is the Grim Reaper, and a bunch of small monster cards, one of which is a chimera. There is a maze on the board. There was a UK edition.

I remember this! My friend had it, but I was too young to understand it, I just remember the black cross being pushed into the holes on the mouth of the skull-thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
tool wrote:

Looking over the BGG entry, I'd say that this is a very strong contender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
I suspect it is Horror House. The cover doesn't seem to match

I think that is the cover she's talking about. "A man stretching out like he wanted to escape something." With a few years to forget the finer details, that's what I'd remember too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvonne Gregory
United Kingdom
Abergele
UK
flag msg tools
You've got it! That's it! Horror House. I know as soon as I saw the name! Mark you genius! You have got no idea how happy this makes me and now I can't wait to surprise my brother! Thanks you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvonne Gregory
United Kingdom
Abergele
UK
flag msg tools
Dan and Adam too! Wow. Thanks all for the suggestions and for helping me to solve the mystery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think these threads are some of the best of BGG. Nowhere else in the world could you get the answer to that question, and so expeditiously!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
Manicat wrote:
Mark you genius!

It was 100%
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge

I have just been perusing the images of what people suggested and found the cover you were describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvonne Gregory
United Kingdom
Abergele
UK
flag msg tools
Agreed Dan! This was my first post and I really am shocked... in a good way! Now I am looking to buy this game from somewhere and surprise my brother by giving it to him as a Christmas present, so wish me luck! Really appreciate everyone's input on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to the Horror House page here on BGG it will tell you who is selling or trading copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneaking a "what game is this?" challenge past Dan is like sneaking a sunrise past a rooster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manicat wrote:
Now I am looking to buy this game from somewhere and surprise my brother by giving it to him as a Christmas present, so wish me luck!

No one on BGG is selling a copy at the moment (although you might be able to trade with a current owner). Alternatively, there is a copy up on ebay UK at the moment that is missing a few pieces, but is going for a good price.

Anthony P
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmb

Has parts available- he might be able to help you complete it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.