Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If another player has already announced end of round and I played and effect which allows for more cards to be drawn on a players next turn, can I also declare end of round to 'skip' my turn so I get the extra card draw in the next round even though end of round was called by another player?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so.
The only possibility to get the Effect in the next round is, when you play it while EoR is already announced.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When your declaring end of round you skip your turn. Why wouldn't the effect carry over in that case?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Shelton
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
4
badge
6502
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that playing TP allowed you to draw more cards the next time which would be at the end of the same round. Perhaps I have misunderstood the timing you are asking about?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
When your declaring end of round you skip your turn. Why wouldn't the effect carry over in that case?


If EOR hasn't been called you are drawing cards before the end of the round because you normally draw at the end of your turn, so the card-draw effect has already been resolved. The call of EOR puts you into the state where "next draw" is the beginning of the round, but it doesn't undo what you did already, and skipping your turn doesn't change that fact. You might not even have known that EOR was going to be called, and the game doesn't rewind to give you benefits once new information (in this case, the calling of EOR) has been revealed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the LL rule book explicitly states the extra card draw only 'carries over' if end of round was declared by another player. If you played this as your action you get the normal draw effect unless someone else played it during end of round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Shelton
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
4
badge
6502
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not understanding the sequence. Here are two possibilities:

A:
1. A declared EOR
2. B plays TP. Because A declared EOR, extra card @ end of turn carries over

B:
1. B plays TP. No one's declared EOR, so extra card is drawn at the end of his turn (ie right now, before 2 below)
2. A declared EOR
3. It doesn't matter what B does, he already drew his extra card

I think you are talking about scenario B, but maybe I've misunderstood?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cshelton wrote:
I'm still not understanding the sequence. Here are two possibilities:

A:
1. A declared EOR
2. B plays TP. Because A declared EOR, extra card @ end of turn carries over

B:
1. B plays TP. No one's declared EOR, so extra card is drawn at the end of his turn (ie right now, before 2 below)
2. A declared EOR
3. It doesn't matter what B does, he already drew his extra card

I think you are talking about scenario B, but maybe I've misunderstood?

Yeah I was questioning scenario B, but it clearly doesn't apply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Another scenario for Temporal Portal - Assuming that another player has not declared end of round:

Current player has no cards left in his deed deck. Current player plays Temporal Portal.

Next time player will be able to draw cards is in next round.

Therefore this effect must carry over into the following round?

Regards,

Werekin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
werekin wrote:
Next time player will be able to draw cards is in next round.
No, if EoR hasn't been declared, temporal portal increases your hand limit in the current end-of-turn sequence. You can't draw the maximum number of cards, but temporal portal has been already applied (increasing your hand limit on that turn).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
That answer may not sufficiently cover the scenario I described. When the player who used Temporal Portal has zero cards left in his deed deck then he cannot draw cards.

This equates to the action card having no special effect unless the bonus draw will apply the next time that player draws cards, which must be the following round.

Unless there is a precedent that states an unused effect cannot be carried over to the following round then this could be the most logical way to resolve things. Otherwise the card is just an unavoidably bad draw at the end of every round every time.

Regards,

Werekin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stewart
msg tools
mb
werekin wrote:
That answer may not sufficiently cover the scenario I described. When the player who used Temporal Portal has zero cards left in his deed deck then he cannot draw cards.

This equates to the action card having no special effect unless the bonus draw will apply the next time that player draws cards, which must be the following round.

Unless there is a precedent that states an unused effect cannot be carried over to the following round then this could be the most logical way to resolve things. Otherwise the card is just an unavoidably bad draw at the end of every round every time.

Regards,

Werekin

The precise effect we are talking about here is: "Whether you move or not, your Hand limit is higher by 1 the next time you draw cards."
It might be more precise if the effect said "your hand limit is 1 higher the next time you draw cards up to your hand limit". In the Lost Legion Rulebook, there is a small section on these kinds of effects:
Page 6, Effects Increasing Your Hand Limit wrote:
There are some effects that increase your Hand limit "When drawing cards next time". This applies to drawing cards during your End of Turn phase, or, when played if the End of the Round was announced by another player (i.e. your last turn during a Round), to drawing your cards at the start of the next Round. We recommend using this rule for the card Meditation/Trance, that uses the old wording.

This section describes such wording not as "Draw more cards the next time you would draw cards", but very specifically that your hand limit is considered N higher at the first of two very specific times.

IF end of round has been declared, you apply the +N to your hand limit at the start of next round. No other time.
IF end of round has NOT been declared, you apply the +N to your hand limit at your next "end of turn" sequence where you draw up to your hand limit (stopping, not shuffling if there are no cards left in your deck).

Having zero cards in your deed deck is less that you CANNOT draw cards so skip any drawing phase, but more that you go to the drawing phase and HAVE NO CARDS TO DRAW.

You can STILL get benefits from the non-movement part with zero cards in your deck by waiting to use it until end of round has been declared, or you can play it sideways for 1 move/attack/block/influence. Some cards aren't as good of a draw at all parts of your turn. Tranquility is an example of such a card. Sometimes you draw it at the end of round with no wounds. It won't do much then. Other times you draw it right at the start and can draw extra cards to go fight something with.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Excellent response thank you. My friends were delighted by attention to detail on this.

Regards,

Stu
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.