Hide
6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Descent 2e using only one hero character rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felkmaster Flex
msg tools
Does anyone know of a way to do this? Also id there were rules to make the game a little less complex that would be good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Uggh, this would be rough. No one to revive you when you get knocked down. You could try cutting the number of monsters in a group in half, using the two-hero numbers as a base from which to start. For single large monsters, you could try cutting their health points in half, I suppose.

I wouldn't want to try this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're better off playing Castle Ravenloft as it will fit your needs perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
I wouldn't want to try this.

Ditto. I don't see what is gained from this idea over the rules as written, or especially over the "one player controls four heroes" house rule.

If you weren't playing as Lindel or Arvel Worldwalker, required attribute tests would be a nightmare. And then if you were, you would lack all healing outside of Health Potions and perhaps the Staff of Light (neither of which are guaranteed). Then, as Drew pointed out, being knocked down would basically spell the end of the quest, because your only option would be to perform a Stand Up action, after which you'd just be knocked down again.

I suppose you could add in some house rules to fix some of these, in addition to tweaking the monster groups. I'd maybe try:

1. Treat each attribute as if it were 1 higher than the listed value. This would open up possibilities for valid heroes to use.
2. Alter the Stand Up action to take only one action instead of two.
3. Maybe add in a new special action to heal, perhaps you spend an action to roll a red die (two red dice?) and recover that many hearts. This would eliminate the absolute need of a Healer, but would still leave them as valid choices since they could heal more efficiently (well, the Disciple and the Apothecary, anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the rules really get "less" complex without losing the flavor? I mean, even with "campaign" rules... I can teach an inexperience gamer the game in... oh... ten minutes (and in fact did, just yesterday).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
...I don't see what is gained from this idea over the rules as written, or especially over the "one player controls four heroes" house rule.

I suspect the main motivation is that some people just don't like controlling multiple heroes. It can get a bit fiddly and complicated trying to do it all yourself.

Obviously there are plenty of people that do like 2 player games with 1 player controlling 2-4 heroes but there is definitely a case to be had for it being fiddly and possibly quite awkward at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.