Subject: Flipping question? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Lin
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
What does "you flip" refer to? Does it mean you have to flip one of your own cards, or any card on the table?

What does "all flip" mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You close [a card] = you flip one of your cards (of your choice, respecting what the card says; e.g. "you close one fairy" means you must flip one of your red cards).

All close [a card] = as above, but affecting each player (each player chooses one of his cards to flip).

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
You close [a card] = you flip one of your cards (of your choice, respecting what the card says; e.g. "you close one fairy" means you must flip one of your red cards).

What? You mean I can't flip someone else's card? Somehow I missed this "you can only do damage to yourself" concept when reading the (Z-Man) rules. Now I'm completely confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

What? You mean I can't flip someone else's card? Somehow I missed this "you can only do damage to yourself" concept when reading the (Z-Man) rules. Now I'm completely confused.

The trick is being clever enough in your card play to keep most of your own cards face up. Adding particular cards to your grid might be tempting, but in some cases it will cost you. Figuring out which cards to play and in which order to play them (e.g. "If I play *this* one now, I'll have no dragons to close, and if I play *this* one at the *end* of the turn I'll be able to open the Faerie I just closed"), is the crux of the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact I just used this in my last game of FT. I didn't have any fairies, but everybody else did. I kept a card that made all flip a fairy and played it for my last card, because I didn't have anything else to help me gain any points.

I didn't win, but I did keep one guy from passing me in points because he needed that fariy for one card or another (sorry, this was a month ago, I can't remember exactly which cards were involved).

I love the open/closing part of this game. Weighing if you can get a card opened to score maximum points, or make others close cards just to screw with them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

The rules are at fault here. It is never made clear whether you flip your cards or your opponents' cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

The rules are at fault here. It is never made clear whether you flip your cards or your opponents' cards.

Cards worth SIX points have a drawback (they "close" one of your cards), while the cards worth just one point have an added bonus (they "open" one of your cards). It'd make no sense at all if a card worth 6 would also cancel ("close") the card of an opponent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

Cards worth SIX points have a drawback (they "close" one of your cards), while the cards worth just one point have an added bonus (they "open" one of your cards). It'd make no sense at all if a card worth 6 would also cancel ("close") the card of an opponent!

It sure doesn't make sense after you've played it correctly but for new players (like my gaming group last week) we had no idea that we could only flip/unflip our own cards. One sentence in the rules could have prevented our frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.