5 Posts

Railways of North America» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mines in RoNA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaare Smith
Denmark
flag msg tools
So we finally got to play RoNA for the first time tonight. What a blast! Great game, excellenct size for our 4-player setup. We did have two debates, though. Maybe you could help clariy those questions.

First, we were in doubt whether you could use a mine more than once on the same grey city. It doesn't say explicitly that you can or cannot. We agreed to the rule that a grey city can only have one mine, but we would like to hear what you think.

Other thing, snowline surcharge. If you have the ferry card and build a four-track railroad above the snowline, we agreed that the three non-ferry tiles cost the same as below snowline tracks. This sounds kinda weird, but that was how we interpreted the rule. What do you say?

Hope you are enjoying the game too! We especially liked the decreased impackt of service bounties (down to 3 pt and only grey cities, that makes it harder to make a jump start in the beginning).

Best, Kaare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
photoguy1601 wrote:
First, we were in doubt whether you could use a mine more than once on the same grey city. It doesn't say explicitly that you can or cannot. We agreed to the rule that a grey city can only have one mine, but we would like to hear what you think.
The rules say (on the last page), "...Place the cubes drawn on the grey city, discard the matching cube and discard this card, but leave the Mine marker. This shows that this Mine is depleted and nobody else may mine in that city." So only one person can mine a given city. Use something to indicate a city has been mined if you don't have the Mine expansion pieces.

photoguy1601 wrote:
Other thing, snowline surcharge. If you have the ferry card and build a four-track railroad above the snowline, we agreed that the three non-ferry tiles cost the same as below snowline tracks. This sounds kinda weird, but that was how we interpreted the rule. What do you say?
Not sure what logic you are applying to come to this conclusion. "Building track on the Ferry Hex is free, and the card also ignores snow line surcharges." Since the card it tied to the specific hex, it is the only hex immune from the snowline upcharge, i.e. free in this case. All other hexes would be normal cost, plus a upcharge if North of the snowline.

Great game. Continue to enjoy!

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
...but leave the Mine marker. .. Use something to indicate a city has been mined if you don't have the Mine expansion pieces.
Kickstarter exclusive?? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
bkunes wrote:
...but leave the Mine marker. .. Use something to indicate a city has been mined if you don't have the Mine expansion pieces.
One of the stretch goals of the Kickstarter was the purchasing a mini Mine expansion for an additional $5 (?). But this and any of the other mini expansions from the Kickstarter can be purchased from Eagle, if desired.

The Mines expansion is essentially the Mine empty city marker in each of the player colors. I didn't add on any of these mini expansions b/c I felt using the same mold but in different colors made them too big and would just add clutter to the board as the game went on.

The cards make Mines available with any Map, I currently use pennies to indicate which grey cities have been mined. I intend to paint some Monopoly sized houses or something in the player colors and create my own mini expansion one of these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
SD40 wrote:
bkunes wrote:
One of the stretch goals of the Kickstarter was the purchasing a mini Mine expansion for an additional $5 (?). But this and any of the other mini expansions from the Kickstarter can be purchased from Eagle, if desired.

The Mines expansion is essentially the Mine empty city marker in each of the player colors. I didn't add on any of these mini expansions b/c I felt using the same mold but in different colors made them too big and would just add clutter to the board as the game went on.

The cards make Mines available with any Map, I currently use pennies to indicate which grey cities have been mined. I intend to paint some Monopoly sized houses or something in the player colors and create my own mini expansion one of these days.
thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.