Subject: New Empire Advantages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, all, we are finishing up work on the second Space Empires expansion. Hopefully, it will be on pre-order soon.

googoogoo***Let me first say, that it is really cool. I'm very happy with what is in it and it has been well worth the wait.*** googoogoo

I have some flexibility. If there were a couple of really worthwhile Empire Advantages that we wanted to put in the game, I could squeeze them in. Does anyone have an idea for an Empire Advantage that they wish was in the game? Remember, it can be powerful as long as there is a corresponding disadvantage to keep it balanced.

Post the ideas here if you have them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not great at coming up with fluff, so most of these will just be mechanics to be fleshed out as desired.

Fighter have class A, not sure if immediately or only when you get fighter level 2 or 3. A penalty to raiders, not sure if disallowing cloaking tech (maybe only level 2?) or imposing a cost/attack penalty works better. If it needs another boost consider giving fighter level 1 for free, though that seems too good to me.
A race of adrenaline junkies that dislike sneaking around.

You can ship fighters, bases, and SYs along your pipelines. Either move 2 hexes (move 1, but with pipeline bonus) each turn and be destroyed if attacked, or move them 3 hexes during your econ phase.

Favoring offense or defense. I.e. all ships get a +1 to attack, but also -1 to defense. Another race that gets +1 to defense and -1 to attack.

Your scouts have a chance to escape danger/lost in space counters when exploring. When a scout explores a hex and a danger/lost in space is revealed you get to roll a die and if successful (not sure how to balance this properly without having to introduce a penalty, maybe 50%?) the counter either has no effect at all or the scout has to go back to the hex it came from (similar to how supernovas work, but the counter is removed and the hex can be entered after this)

"Genetic modification" (or somesuch) you can reveal and discard this empire advantage to immediately draw two new ones and chose one, just like the blind draw way already in the rules. Maybe put a time limit on this, otherwise you'd simply wait until your opponent reveals his advantage and hope for something to counter it. The disadvantage is that you can't plan your first few econ phases around a specific advantage.

I have very little experience with unique ships, but maybe a race that gives those a bonus? Something like a 3rd special slot or making them cheaper could fit.

Also, this just might have ruined Christmas for me since no present can compare to a second SE4X expansion.

EDIT:
Another one: Miners are mobile refineries and can process minerals without delivering them to colonies (though they can still do that too if its advantageous to do so) they also don't need to be connected with pipelines when mining nebula. Starting with terraforming 2 (but not 1) would probably be too strong, but a price reduction might work. To offset this the miners are more expensive, maybe 8 or even 10 cp?

Also, how about a modified reprint of the Ancients? In most scenarios homeworlds are on the side of the board (meaning you have at most 4 adjacent hexes), so I'd prefer reveal 12 hexes total starting with the ones adjacent to your homeworld rather than the current "all adjacent and 6 extra". Also I have yet to see somebody use all 3 free colony ships and collect 3 minerals. Not sure if this is by design, but I'd argue that 5 total, players choice might work better. I.e. 5 times you get to chose to either place a colony ship on a non-barren planet, or take minerals.
I've implemented this as a houserule, but only treid it once. I preferred it, but of course once isn't enough to say it's balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, this just might have ruined Christmas for me since no present can compare to a second SE4X expansion.

Nope, it just made Christmas for you.

This Christmas, you get the wonderful present of anticipation.
Next Christmas, hopefully you get the game. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not been sold on the Empire Advantages (still) I play without usually.

But what I would like to see that is similar are different ways to play your empire - that can be considered an advantage. For example:

1) Nomads: these are able to mine planets to barren but carry their population on a single large ship (maybe a Titan) that acts as their home planet.

2)Space Fold / Hyperspace; this race does not have "warp drives" but instead uses fold technology that allows them to move to a particular hex instead of traveling there - maybe make it possible to move further than movement tech but at a risk of scattering.

3) Ancient Detached Race: they start off with superior numbers but spread around the board, start with terriforming and no home planet. Maybe their ability is additional technology, or that Aliens join them and allow colonization of their planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Connors
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaps and Bounds: When purchasing technology, you may develop up to 2 levels of any technology (paying the cost of both). Ex. You could buy ship size 2 and ship size 3 during the same economic phase for the cost of 25cp (10+15).

Seed AI Robotic Race: Due to the low maintenance of this race, each ship's maintenance is halved (add up all maintenance , divide in half and then round down). However, each ship (perhaps only combat ships?) cp cost is increased by the amount of double its hull size.

Frontiersman: During the economic phase, any 3cp colony (or any colony that's going to become a 5cp colony this turn or vice versa) can build a single colony ship. (Perhaps at a discount as waiting for colonies to become 5cp might take too long.)

Plowshares for Swords: All non-combat ships have the following stats. [F-1-0x1] These ships; however, cannot explore undiscovered hexes without a normal combat capable ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Connors
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harness the supernova: mining ships of this race can enter supernova tiles and haul the supernova tile back to a 5cp colony for 20cp during the economy phase.

Hunter-Killer Missiles: Mines automatically upgrade to the highest level movement technology, can enter hexes containing enemy units, can attack non-combat ships and colonies (optional: each mine can ignore 1 sweep from mine sweepers. Ex. When 6 mine sweepers at level 1 mine sweeping enter a space with 4 mines only 3 mines get destroyed)

Masters of the Gates: Scouts can sacrifice their entire movement for a turn while in a nebula to create a wormhole to any other scout in a nebula doing the same. These wormholes are a #3 wormhole and are not connected to the wormholes that can normally be discovered in deep space.

Drone fighters: all carriers can purchase 1 fighters per econ phase but not on the turn they were built.

Great roads: MS pipelines cost 1 (or 2) less to build and have a hull size of ½ for production purposes.

The Secret Weapon: The unique ship of this race costs 1/3 the amount rounding down.

Long range missiles: This race fightings using long range missiles. All ships firing class is increased by one letter. Ex. C->B,B->A, and normally A class ships get +1 to their current level tactics. However, this race suffers from a -1 or -2 to their attack as the missiles are easy to shoot down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my ideas I have already posted in the "new counters" thread. others are new.

Transformers: during an upgrade/or probably in space you can merge your ships: 2x Scouts = 1 Cruiser ; Scout+Desdroyer = Battlecruiser ;Desdroyer+Cruiser=Battleship etc....

Asteroids: some try to live in them, some mine them and sa soon as they are empty you put an propulsion drive and some weapons on them, voila a new ship is created with a totally natural hull.
- your miners in asteroid fields can build new ships (probably only big ones and/or without (defense-)tech upgrades...).

Moving Government: can change their "homesystem". at the beginning of a turn you can change the seat of your goverment to any of your controlled plantes with a shipjard size 4 or greater.(Production values stay the same)(victory objective changes for your opponents).
(Historical reference: Switzerland had a changing seat of government/"capital city" form 1803 - 1848 every 1-2 years in a rotation of the three biggest cities.)

whats with suicide "kamikaze" ships. probably just for one specific race.

Or a Super-Titan "floating Home Planet" used by a race instead of a home planet. slow moving but with some attack power. probably with less production power.

a race with a twin homeworld (they have formed a stong alliance and do or do not loose if one homeworld goes down(so this can be positive or negative)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the kamikaze ships idea.
The ships may not retreat, instead they may declare a kamikaze attack against a specific ship. The targeted ship gets one last shot, if that shot doesn't destroy the attacking ship the defending ship takes damage equal to 1+hull size of the attacking ship (an auto-kill seems too strong, since SCs could easily take out DNs or even titans!). The attacking ship is of course also destroyed.
The civilian ships do something similar, but to keep the rules simple they simply act like mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McKendree
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to suggest "Mobile Homeworld." The core idea is that if you have this capability, your homeworld is really a structure transportable by advanced engineering, and you can research "Mobile Homeworld" Technology. As a first cut, the technology levels, and effects are:

Tech Level
Zero - at start, no effect
1 - Can move your homeworld 1 hex in the third turn (cost 15)
2 - Allowed to move your homeworld into the hex of another planet (cost 15)
3 - Can move your homeworld 1 hex each in the second and third turn (cost 20)
4 - Can move your homeworld 1 hex each in the first, second and third turn (cost 25)

Homeworld movement never benefits from the MS Pipeline movement bonus. A Mobile Homeworld may not retreat.

When you move the Homeworld, it normally brings all non-mobile units (ground units, base, shipyard, fighters) with it. You may not move the Homeworld into a hex with another planet unless you have Mobile Homeworld Technology at level 2 or above.

When you leave a hex leaving another planet behind, you may split non-mobile units between the remaining planet and the moving homeworld. (This, for example, would allow a mobile homeworld to redistribute fighters without building a CV.)

When a Mobile Homeworld and a friendly colony are in the same hex, the stacking limit is 2 Bases. In combat where a player has 2 Bases, one Base is automatically screened. This is true even if the player with 2 Bases would not otherwise be allowed to screen combat units. The second Base can neither be targeted nor fire until a combat phase after the first Base has been destroyed.

At the start of combat with ground units in a hex with two defending planets (i.e., Mobile Homeworld and second planet), before units are revealed all non-militia ground units of the defender must be allocated between the two planets, and may not change their allocation (i.e., "move") between Planets as long as enemy units are in the hex. Indicate the allocation by putting the ground units underneath the two planet counters.

When the attacker bombards a planet, it must select which planet is being attacked. When the attacker sends in ground units, it must select which planet is being attacked. Ground Unit invasions happen one planet at a time (order chosen by attacker), after all bombardment of both planets for the combat phase.

A blockaded Mobile Homeworld may move on its turn. It takes only its allocated ground-units with it. (Other non-mobile units would have been destroyed for the Mobile Homeworld to be blockaded.)

The player may move their Mobile Homeworld into any other hex, but incur the effects of that hex. (Yes, if you move your homeworld into a Black Hole or a Danger!, you can lose your home planet. In 2-player and solitare scenarios, treat for victory purposes as if the oppnenent had destroyed the homeworld.)

If another player gets Mobile Homeworld technology, that other player can move the original homeworld, if they can seize it, but that technology does not allow a different player's homeworld or other planet to move. The Mobile Homeworld was a special world from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.