Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions that came up with Lini rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Dennis
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so here's the situation ..

Lini has 3 ally cards in her hand .. Saber-toothed Tiger, Snake, and Crow ..

Can she for her combat roll reveal one of them to add 1d4, then recharge the tiger to add 1d6, then can she discard the crow to d10 instead of Strength/Dex ... but instead of discarding the crow can she recharge because of her ability to recharge instead of discard an ally with the animal trait?

We weren't sure, but my thought was that she was not playing the Crow card so it would have to be discarded rather than recharged ...

Thx for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the tiger and the crow, you can reveal either for +1d4, recharge the tiger for +1d6 and discard the crow for a 1d10 base strength. You won't be able to recharge the crow because it was discarded for a power, not animal on-card text.

Of course, there might be a better card to discard than an animal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yeah, if you note, her ability says that you get to recharge instead of discard when you PLAY an Ally with the Animal trait. Discarding for the power isn't playing it.

That said, any time she has two or more Animals in her hand it's time to play one anyway so that you can recharge it for something super-keen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can reveal an animal to get the +1d4 bonus and also play or discard the same card? So, you could reveal and then recharge the tiger to get both a +1d4 and a +1d6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
arcbat wrote:
So you can reveal an animal to get the +1d4 bonus and also play or discard the same card? So, you could reveal and then recharge the tiger to get both a +1d4 and a +1d6?

Yeah. The reveal is for Lini's power, so you aren't playing that card when you reveal it for that purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
arcbat wrote:

Yeah. The reveal is for Lini's power, so you aren't playing that card when you reveal it for that purpose.

Right, there are two things here:

* Cards don't remember they were previously revealed, so revealed cards go back to being cards in hand
* Since you are using Lini's powers for +1d4 and turning into a bear, they don't count towards your one ally per check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
arcbat wrote:

Right, there are two things here:

* Cards don't remember they were previously revealed, so revealed cards go back to being cards in hand
* Since you are using Lini's powers for +1d4 and turning into a bear, they don't count towards your one ally per check

Turing into a bear, is it part of the Lore? No mention about it in the game.

Quote:
Cards don't remember they were previously revealed, so revealed cards go back to being cards in hand

I think this can make more confusion. If a card doesn't "remember" it was revealed, I can reveal the same card again over 9000!!!

I guess once revealed, your card is placed in front of you to add the benefits. It's like you reveal a sword to defeat a bane and before the strike the sword gone but you got more bonus for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
topera wrote:

I think this can make more confusion. If a card doesn't "remember" it was revealed, I can reveal the same card again over 9000!!!.

No, because that would break the "each character can play no more than one card of each type per check" rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
topera wrote:

I think this can make more confusion. If a card doesn't "remember" it was revealed, I can reveal the same card again over 9000!!!.

No, because that would break the "each character can play no more than one card of each type per check" rule.

I agree and that what I'm trying to say. Reveal a card is considered playing the card. So I don't think you can reveal and rechard the same cards for stack effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
topera wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
topera wrote:

I agree and that what I'm trying to say. Reveal a card is considered playing the card. So I don't think you can reveal and rechard the same cards for stack effects.

The reveal in this case is not playing the card, it is the requirement for Lini's ability. Doing something with a card to fulfill the requirement for another card or character's power is not considered to be playing that card. A card is only "played" if its own power is utilized.

If the requirement for Lini's power was to discard or bury, then it wouldn't be available to be played; but since revealed cards never technically leave your hand, it is still viable for play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topera wrote:

I was curious too

Page 17, Lini Description wrote:
Lini,
the druid
Lini commands animals to
do her bidding—a humble
dog will serve her better
than most humans will.
She’s a good spellcaster,
and can serve as a
healer if Kyra’s occupied.
If all else fails, she can
even turn into a bear
to
bump up her Strength or
Dexterity considerably.
That lets her collect a lot of
non-Attack spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
topera wrote:

I was curious too

Page 17, Lini Description wrote:
Lini,
the druid
Lini commands animals to
do her bidding—a humble
dog will serve her better
than most humans will.
She’s a good spellcaster,
and can serve as a
healer if Kyra’s occupied.
If all else fails, she can
even turn into a bear
to
bump up her Strength or
Dexterity considerably.
That lets her collect a lot of
non-Attack spells.

WoW It was there! I think I skipped the chars descriptions... Thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how turning into a bear helps her dexterity though. They're not known for their acrobatics...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I can't see how turning into a bear helps her dexterity though. They're not known for their acrobatics...

You owe Mr Cuddles an apology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cphpitts wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:

You owe Mr Cuddles an apology.

And it has to be given from directly underneath him while he's doing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A good sense of balance, I will certainly agree! (and a very nicely framed picture, credit to the photographer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the flavor text on the back of Lini's card talks about turning into a bear and that perfectly dove tails into the STR increase, in reality the ability is referring to the Druids ability to Wild shape.http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid#TOC-Wild-...

With that ability she can turn into any Small or Medium animal, so for the DEX component we can say she is turning into say a Snow Leopard [like her animal companion].

Speaking of which....WTF isn't there a Snow Leopard Animal Ally in the game? Lini is always portrayed with her buddy Droogami.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see this mentioned, but do you have to use the Discard power first, as it's setting the type of base die check (1d10 instead of STR/DEX) - or is that part of the "Assemble your dice" step? I haven't played Lini much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
I didn't see this mentioned, but do you have to use the Discard power first, as it's setting the type of base die check?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
theashers wrote:
I didn't see this mentioned, but do you have to use the Discard power first, as it's setting the type of base die check?
Yes.
In which case it would not be possible to Reveal (+1D4) then Discard (+1d6) the Sabre Tooth, for instance. You would need 2 animal Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
WreckingCrew wrote:
Speaking of which....WTF isn't there a Snow Leopard Animal Ally in the game? Lini is always portrayed with her buddy Droogami.

Maybe she IS Droogami!

Actually, I know little about her backstory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
theashers wrote:

Yes.

I would have to see that in the FAQ or something. Changing the die isn't changing the type. Once you have stated it will be a STR or Melee check, there is nothing saying you can't bump the die from 1d4 to 1d10 after setting the check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
WreckingCrew wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
theashers wrote:

Yes.

I would have to see that in the FAQ or something. Changing the die isn't changing the type. Once you have stated it will be a STR or Melee check, there is nothing saying you can't bump the die from 1d4 to 1d10 after setting the check.

The step is "determine what die you are using", not "decide what kind of check you want it to be". That's the difference that stands out to me, aanyway. I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
WreckingCrew wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
theashers wrote:

Yes.

The step is "determine what die you are using", not "decide what kind of check you want it to be". That's the difference that stands out to me, aanyway. I could be wrong.

You have to decide what check you are going to do before you know what the base die is going to be. For Lini, you can then change the die type, but not the check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
WreckingCrew wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
WreckingCrew wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
theashers wrote:

Yes.

You have to decide what check you are going to do before you know what the base die is going to be. For Lini, you can then change the die type, but not the check.

Deciding what kind of check you want to attempt, if you have a choice, is not the same thing as determining what die you are using. Again, the name of the step is "determine what die you are using". I would interpret the rules to mean that anything that makes that determination (which is exactly what the power in question does) must happen during that step, which must come before any effects that aid the check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.