Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are in New Orleans and today we visited the new "Final Mission" attraction at the National WWII Museum. The Tang was the highest scoring US submarine ever.

It is marketed as an interactive experience putting visitors in the roles of members of the Tang's crew. Only 27 folks are admitted per showing. Promotional material warns visitors that the lights and sounds and emotions may be too intense for some people.

Well, I found it pretty darned cheesy and disappointing.

This 'experience' actually is a 15 minute computer generated video shown on the ceiling of a little set dolled up to sort of resemble the interior of a submarine. That is, a VERY spacious, uncluttered, and well ventilated submarine which is bent around into the shape of a "U". Our crew position was on the depth controls, a series of five big clunky levers. Our job was to stand there, and whenever the red light by a lever came on, pull that lever to make the little light go off.

BORING.

So, I canNOT recommend this attraction. Save your money for New Orleans cuisine.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot...sorry to hear it was such a big disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I took my Dad the last time I went back home and mirror your thoughts. On the other hand, I can't wait for the PT boat to be finished! Also the museum has expanded greatly since the last time I went (pre Katrina) and I really enjoyed the elevated walk through the various aircraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
USS TANG and her brave crew, lost in October 1944 after a career of less than one year in which she downed 24 Japanese ships, deserve better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a shame...agree it deserves better.
Here's an excellent book about Dick O'Kane and his exploits with the crews of both Tang and Wahoo:

Definitely worth picking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I ordered my copy of that exact book twenty minutes after posting my review. Good to hear that it is worthwhile.

Actually, the TANG is officially credited with 33 sinkings in under a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Interesting, I ordered my copy of that exact book twenty minutes after posting my review. Good to hear that it is worthwhile.

Actually, the TANG is officially credited with 33 sinkings in under a year.

You won't be disappointed, my friend. "Clear The Bridge!", Dick O'Kane's own memoir of his time aboard Tang is also a must-read.

I've toured the USS Pampanito, permanently moored in S.F. several times. The men who went to sea in those boats were heroes, no doubt. B***s of steel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I gotta agree with you. Was there two months ago and thought the same thing.

Except, my "job" was to man the periscope. I had fun looking in the eyepiece and spinning in circles so that everyone else would wonder what the hell I was looking at!

The sad thing is that, the noise and flashy lights of that exhibit - in all its dumbed-down splendor - simply reflect what today's generation finds appealing... visual stimulation (specially when accompanied by loud noises) trumps substance.

But what makes up for that, is the "Beyond All Boundaries" presentation. That alone was worth the trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.