Keyflower: The Farmers» Forums » Variants

Subject: Who's afraid of the big bad wolf... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I previously posted this in response to a comment made in the main Keyflower rules queries forum .. but thought this would be a more suitable spot (apologies on the double post)..

The idea of a wolf was mentioned and this came to me...

A wolf promo tile that comes with a wolf-animeeple could be amusing - Something along the lines of... Where a player bids on the lair tile and claims the wolf similarly to the ghost from Key Celeste. Then you can play the wolf within an opponent's field ~ all animals within are devoured and no other stock may be played into the field for the remainder of the season. The wolf returns to it's lair tile at spring, summer and aut season's end. In winter, The lair tile is worth 3pts and if they also own an unplayed wolf they can claim an additional 3/5/7pts depending on whether they control 1/2/3 animal types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you allow each season to eat it it does too much damage and then get points as well...too much of screw you tile than I wouldeel is weighted
fairly.

sorry on phone writing it.

rephrase: I think that if you allow the wolf to eat each season, then it is far too powerful of a screw you tile. And to top it off, you then give bonus points to the tile's owner at the end of game. too powerful.

I would suggest the one shot of killing a field, and only use it during the fall season, so its power as a game winning tile is mitigated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if I haven't fully understood your sentence...

The wolf animeeple can only be played onto a tile in summer, autumn and winter.
If played onto a tile in winter, obviously there would be no points gained from it (except for the base 3 for the winner of the lair in winter).
To claim the wolfs bonus points, you would have had to win it in the previous round (autumn), not use it during winter, and also win the bids on the lair in winter.
So. essentially, if points are to be gained from the wolf, there would only be 2 fields (max) it would (possibly) affect (devouring stock) during the game.
Also remember, due to the randomness of the tile draws, you'd be pretty lucky to have all three animal types in play on your tableau, as well as winning the wolf in autumn and winter, to get full points from the wolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly, instead of devouring ALL animeeples in the field, the wolf could just eat one; if further animeeples were within the field, they could each move to an adjacent field. If there was no valid field (ie, all adjacent fields already contained animeeples differing from the one/s moving) available ... then those animeeples unable to escape would also be eaten.

That would lower greatly the chance of the wolf eating more than one animeeple per season

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
minksling wrote:
Possibly, instead of devouring ALL animeeples in the field, the wolf could just eat one; if further animeeples were within the field, they could each move to an adjacent field. If there was no valid field (ie, all adjacent fields already contained animeeples differing from the one/s moving) available ... then those animeeples unable to escape would also be eaten.

That would lower greatly the chance of the wolf eating more than one animeeple per season

This I like better. The bonus points for animal types seems out of place though, thematically. Keep track of eaten animals and bonus for each type seems more in theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
minksling wrote:

This I like better. The bonus points for animal types seems out of place though, thematically. Keep track of eaten animals and bonus for each type seems more in theme.

Hmmm, I like your thinking... Possibly: Any animeeples devoured during the game could be placed on the lair, and whomever aquires the lair at winters end will get (in addition to the base 3pts for the lair) the 3/5/7pt bonus for the 1/2/3 animeeple types upon it - as long as they also control the unplayed wolf.

Edit.. maybe also, the wolf cannot be played onto a tile that has a worker already there, as it would be chased off. This would give an added ability to keep the wolf at bay.

How's that sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
minksling wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
minksling wrote:

Hmmm, I like your thinking... Possibly: Any animeeples devoured during the game could be placed on the lair, and whomever aquires the lair at winters end will get (in addition to the base 3pts for the lair) the 3/5/7pt bonus for the 1/2/3 animeeple types upon it - as long as they also control the unplayed wolf.

How's that sound?

sounds like a fight for the tile during winter for some guaranteed points; which in this game sounds about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon further contemplation it appears that the most you could hope to score would be 2 different animeeple types for the wolf bonus. One dinner in summer, one in autumn.
Tile tweaked to suit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.