Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally did it. I put Thunder Alley on PreOrder.

I hate NASCAR, there is nothing in the world more boring to me than NASCAR, maybe watching golf. I really don't care about racing or cars or anything of the sorts. But after several videos of this game in action and good reviews and general good buzz and positive feedback I have signed on. I think the card play looks really interesting, especially the way the cars move in groups on some card plays, which seems to me would make for some very interesting decisions. I think it was that example of how card play works that really hooked me. Also the fact you have a TEAM of cars is also cool. (And the fact it doesn't sound like a super long game, am I correct on this?)

Plus the fact it plays up to 7 which is kind of cool since I have a fairly large game group now and to have a bunch of people playing this sounds like fun.

I hope my lack of racing knowledge doesn't hinder my enjoyment of this game, which I don't think it does. If a game has an innovative interesting design I"ll give it a shot. Plus, how often do you get to race some cars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon, thanks for giving us it a shot. The game has more going for it than just being fun for NASCAR fans. By far most of my play testers and regular group are not NASCAR fans and they enjoyed it so much that they would have purchased teams had the Kickstarter succeeded. Even Carla, who designed it with me is not really a big racing fan. Her influence on the "game" side of the ledger here cannot be underestimated.

I am sure your first big game will take a couple of hours but if you set the goal to play all four tracks over x sessions, by the time you get to the fourth, the rules will be understood and the race should speed by. But you may have to nudge the AP players a bit.

I hope you enjoy it and want to hear your opinion of it once it is in your hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You just cleared your prepub bar, what's the word coming to you from GMT regarding the print queue?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
by the time you get to the fourth, the rules will be understood and the race should speed by. But you may have to nudge the AP players a bit.

I see what you did there. I also am not a fan of NASCAR and really look forward to this game. I P500'ed it a LONG time ago... I think when it was announced.

Will we see this in 2014 do you think?

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Jeff Horger wrote:
by the time you get to the fourth, the rules will be understood and the race should speed by. But you may have to nudge the AP players a bit.

I see what you did there. I also am not a fan of NASCAR and really look forward to this game. I P500'ed it a LONG time ago... I think when it was announced.

Will we see this in 2014 do you think?

BOb

The GMT thing said first Quarter of '14

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
Gordon, thanks for giving us it a shot. The game has more going for it than just being fun for NASCAR fans. By far most of my play testers and regular group are not NASCAR fans and they enjoyed it so much that they would have purchased teams had the Kickstarter succeeded. Even Carla, who designed it with me is not really a big racing fan. Her influence on the "game" side of the ledger here cannot be underestimated.

I, on the other hand, am an enormous NASCAR fan, & I've watched your project from a distance with cautious optimism. I've been playing & loving Formula De for well over a decade. I've been waiting forever to find a stock car racing game that I can enjoy & sink my teeth into like I have with Formula De. I've seen a few stock car racing game attempts that disappointed me.

I've had my heart broken before, Jeff...don't let me down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.