Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've posted a new version of the base set rulebook. Clicking on that link will download it for you. It's not "final"; for example, the metarules at the end are a slightly older version than the one we intend to include.

Feel free to use this if you like, and comment as desired. Thanks to everyone on these boards for helping clarify rules so that this version could be as good as it can be.

Mike
28 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mike!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mike selinker wrote:
We've posted a new version of the base set rulebook. Clicking on that link will download it for you. It's not "final"; for example, the metarules at the end are a slightly older version than the one we intend to include.

Feel free to use this if you like, and comment as desired. Thanks to everyone on these boards for helping clarify rules so that this version could be as good as it can be.

Mike


Updated rules for my favorite game...happy dance! meeple
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike for your time and efforts to make this an amazing game!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Bunny --> Me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Magoulis
United States
Safety Harbor
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't possibly explain to anyone why I'm excited about looking into an updated rulebook, but that's just how good this game is. Thanks Mike!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
R2Dork wrote:
I couldn't possibly explain to anyone why I'm excited about looking into an updated rulebook, but that's just how good this game is. Thanks Mike!


You could probably explain it to me.

Thanks, folks. Let me know if you spot anything troubling.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Byrd
United States
Ocean Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this, it's great. The example on page 20 (and this may have been in the original rulebook as well) indirectly mentions a rule that I couldn't find anywhere else. Merisiel is forced to encounter an Ancient Skeleton, but she evades the encounter with her special power and the Skeleton is banished. Is that the rule for what happens when you evade a summoned monster? Is that what can happen when Merisiel evades the Sandpoint Demon summoned by Isouri? If so, that seems like a pretty powerful combination. I've been shuffling the Demon into the encounter deck if I evade him.
-Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byrdru wrote:
Thank you for this, it's great. The example on page 20 (and this may have been in the original rulebook as well) indirectly mentions a rule that I couldn't find anywhere else. Merisiel is forced to encounter an Ancient Skeleton, but she evades the encounter with her special power and the Skeleton is banished. Is that the rule for what happens when you evade a summoned monster? Is that what can happen when Merisiel evades the Sandpoint Demon summoned by Isouri? If so, that seems like a pretty powerful combination. I've been shuffling the Demon into the encounter deck if I evade him.
-Thanks


Top of page 13:
After evading or resolving all checks against a summoned card, banish it unless you’re instructed otherwise.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byrdru wrote:
Thank you for this, it's great. The example on page 20 (and this may have been in the original rulebook as well) indirectly mentions a rule that I couldn't find anywhere else. Merisiel is forced to encounter an Ancient Skeleton, but she evades the encounter with her special power and the Skeleton is banished. Is that the rule for what happens when you evade a summoned monster? Is that what can happen when Merisiel evades the Sandpoint Demon summoned by Isouri? If so, that seems like a pretty powerful combination. I've been shuffling the Demon into the encounter deck if I evade him.
-Thanks

First sentence of p13, under the heading "Summoning and Adding Cards" (continued from the previous page):

"After evading or resolving all checks against a summoned card, banish it unless you’re instructed otherwise."

Edit: ninja
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great, Mike. I have one small complaint. I do not like the flavor text for Lem on page 11. My problem is that it says, "he is the only character that can use all of [the spells]." This is not literally true, of course, as any character can USE any spell. When I first read this in the original rule book, I thought for sure that the "if you don't have ... skill, banish this card"-text on spells must mean you have to banish them as soon as they are acquired if you lack the skill, instead of banishing them as they are used. Otherwise, Lem would not be the only character who could USE them all. So, I wish his flavor text said something more like "he is the only character who never banishes a spell to use it" or something like that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mike selinker wrote:
We've posted a new version of the base set rulebook. Clicking on that link will download it for you. It's not "final"; for example, the metarules at the end are a slightly older version than the one we intend to include.

Feel free to use this if you like, and comment as desired. Thanks to everyone on these boards for helping clarify rules so that this version could be as good as it can be.

Mike


Does this mean that you're planning on releasing another update soon?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
This looks great, Mike. I have one small complaint. I do not like the flavor text for Lem on page 11. My problem is that it says, "he is the only character that can use all of [the spells]." This is not literally true, of course, as any character can USE any spell. When I first read this in the original rule book, I thought for sure that the "if you don't have ... skill, banish this card"-text on spells must mean you have to banish them as soon as they are acquired if you lack the skill, instead of banishing them as they are used. Otherwise, Lem would not be the only character who could USE them all. So, I wish his flavor text said something more like "he is the only character who never banishes a spell to use it" or something like that.
Maybe something like "He is skilled in both kinds of magic." Fits the game terms and the theme at the same time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike

will a glossary/index make it into the next version of the rules ?

thanks and why post the update if the meta rules are already out of date ?

Ric
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Rocher
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Current Holder of FITZ the Cursing Dice!
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
Maybe something like "He is skilled in both kinds of magic." Fits the game terms and the theme at the same time.[/q]

Makes me think of the Blues Brothers "We have both kinds of music" --- Country AND Western --- hahaha --- love it!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peisistratous wrote:
will a glossary/index make it into the next version of the rules ?

We have no plans for a glossary or index. We did add a table of contents, though.

Peisistratous wrote:
thanks and why post the update if the meta rules are already out of date ?

Because the graphic designer was done with this version, and we thought it might be nice to share it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
This looks great, Mike. I have one small complaint. I do not like the flavor text for Lem on page 11. My problem is that it says, "he is the only character that can use all of [the spells]." This is not literally true, of course, as any character can USE any spell. When I first read this in the original rule book, I thought for sure that the "if you don't have ... skill, banish this card"-text on spells must mean you have to banish them as soon as they are acquired if you lack the skill, instead of banishing them as they are used. Otherwise, Lem would not be the only character who could USE them all. So, I wish his flavor text said something more like "he is the only character who never banishes a spell to use it" or something like that.


On it. Thanks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike

thanks ...the reason I ask as I am eager to print out updated rules but here in France printer ink is super expensive ...if there is to be no more real changes I will print off the latest rules now ...

Thanks for your replies ...

Ric
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Mike, I know you mentioned this isn't the final version but a couple of comments.

mike selinker wrote:
gyug wrote:
(p.s. Off topic, but why not simplify things and relax the "must have the skill listed" requirement? It's very thematic, but when would a 1d4 recharge roll unbalance the game?)


We've decided to abandon this rule and all future design space in this area. It's confusing too many people. So you won't find it in the next PDF of the rules.

Mike

You made this post in your Metarules thread. I take it that it means you will remove the restriction about not being able to recharge a card unless you have the appropriate skill (i.e. non-spellcasters can use a d4 to attempt to recharge a spell).

The latest version of the rules still has the old rule.

Second, are you going to add the note that a 0 rolled on a d10 is in fact a 10.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the 0 is a 10. This is a needed information. Because it is entirely game dependant.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
You made this post in your Metarules thread. I take it that it means you will remove the restriction about not being able to recharge a card unless you have the appropriate skill (i.e. non-spellcasters can use a d4 to attempt to recharge a spell).

The latest version of the rules still has the old rule.

Second, are you going to add the note that a 0 rolled on a d10 is in fact a 10.


No, the rule about recharge still applies. It is listed as an exception on page 11
Even if your character doesn’t have any of the skills listed for a check, you can still attempt the check (unless you’re trying to recharge a card; see Recharge on page 15), but your die is a d4.
and page 15
Usually, recharging requires a skill check; if you don’t have at least one of the skills listed for the check, you cannot attempt to recharge the card.
What I was saying is that there won't be any future additions to the list of checks that can't be made without a specific skill, so that confusing global rule was removed.

Noted about the d10 thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mike selinker wrote:
We have no plans for a glossary or index.

Why not? At the very least a comprehensive glossary would be extremely handy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cherryfunk wrote:
mike selinker wrote:
We have no plans for a glossary or index.

Why not? At the very least a comprehensive glossary is called for.


Perhaps someone with the time will be kind enough to make one and share it with us all?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Uhrich
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
DE143 Fiske In memory of my stepfather Charles Frank 4/13/1924 - 11/5/2011
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a glossary like Sentinels has would be a boon for new players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.