Dan Verret
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Observer's flare card has the following wild power:
"As a main player, after alliances are formed, you may allow each player who allied with you to draw one card from the deck".
The timing strip indicates that the power is played in the alliance phase.
My race is not the Observer.

Question #1
When exactly can I show the card ? Can I show it to everyone before alliances are formed so I can use to it to attract other players?

Question #2
Can I decide if each ally separatly can draw a card ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Putrino
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any reason why you can't use it to lure people in, to ally with you.
But remember the card says "May allow", after luring ally's in you don't have to let them get a card. after all this is cosmic encounter we are talking about!!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flagdan wrote:
Question #1
When exactly can I show the card ? Can I show it to everyone before alliances are formed so I can use to it to attract other players?

No, you cannot show the card. The flare can only be used after alliances are formed. However, you may claim that you have such card in an attempt to attract more allies. From the FAQ:

"Q: Is it allowable to say what is in your hand? The rules explicitly say you can't show your hand to anyone, but it's vague on the telling. During a deal, for instance, can you say, "I'll give you a Negotiate and an Attack 10" as part of the negotiations? Can you lie?

A: You may make whatever ludicrous claims about what you have in your hand, but you cannot SHOW your cards to anyone else (unless a game effect causes you to do so)."

flagdan wrote:
Question #2
Can I decide if each ally separatly can draw a card ?

My understanding is that if you decide to play the Observer flare (instead of fooling your allies like BlueTegu proposed), you allow all of them to take a card from the deck. Each of your allies then decides if he or she wants to draw a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't show it, but you can say that you have it. Or you can say something more vague, like, "If you ally with me, I will play a Flare that will benefit you directly," or "If you ally with me, I will play a Flare that will get you a free card from the deck."

After you've used the Flare once, the other players will know you have it, and so may be motivated to ally with you. You can also remind them that you still have it, but you still can't show them. They can even ask you to play the Flare again.

Someone can say, "No! He doesn't have the Observer Flare anymore. I took it from him in compensation."

To which you are free to respond, "I still have it. He's lying."

And no, you can't pick and choose who gets a card, other than by choosing whom to invite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.