Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my Kickstarter package a few days ago and I've now finished both the tutorial missions in solo play (I played with six Survivors and fixed turn order for the PO tutorial, just to make it a little harder on myself). I really enjoyed the plays and I think I did most things correctly, except a few minor things, such as forgetting the special rules about Barbed Wire, so it turns out I'd played as if the BW was normal walls instead.

Looking over the proper rules for Barbed Wire makes me a little confused, though. The rules as written seem to state that Zombies will treat BW as if it wasn't there when determining their path. This seems to mean that even if there is a break or open door in that wire, they will ignore it and just stand at the wire if the path to the opening is longer than the path through the wire. Is that right?

If I'm incorrect, then how am I misinterpreting this rule?
Prison Outbreak Rules p24 wrote:
Barbwire fences have a special effect on Zombie movement.
Zombies still follow the shortest route to the noisiest
Zone or visible Survivor, as if there was no barbwire fence.
They pile up at the barbwire fence until a shorter path is defined
or the fence is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Thats also my understanding of this rule. Makes it really nasty when an abomination breaks through and zombies are pouring thru the gap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think you should interpret it the same as open/closed doors;
if there is no open path, they pile up behind it as if its open, but as soon as there's an opening, they take that open route instead.
as this seems to be the most logical.

But I can see how you could see it the other way given that they dont mention the different situation of having an open or closed path available, but I would find it very strange if zombies stay behind it while one zone further there is an open path through it.
I guess GG will need to clarify this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
"2- Barbwire fences have a special effect on Zombie movement.
Zombies still follow the shortest route to the noisiest
Zone or visible Survivor, as if there was no barbwire fence.
They pile up at the barbwire fence until a shorter path is defined
or the fence is destroyed."

I think this is quite clear. They pile up, even if there is a hole in the next zone. Sooner or later they will be drawn there anyway by the survivors in most scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MuXeD San
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Token Killer
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand like this:

If the shortest route for visible Survivor or noise is the Barbwire fences, yes, they stop there. The only zombie that can break it is the abominations (of any type)

Some situations with Barbwire make the game exploitable.
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muxed wrote:
I understand like this:

If the shortest route for visible Survivor or noise is the Barbwire fences, yes, they stop there. The only zombie that can break it is the abominations (of any type)

This is correct. They'll only pile up on barbed wire if it is in the way of the shortest possible route to noisiest zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, everyone. It seems that the consensus agrees with my original understanding, which does appear to be the only way to interpret that rule as it is written. It might seem odd that they are so good at routing any other path through a maze, but the good old chain link fence with Barbed Wire on top will stop them every time (until an Abomination shows up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is one for my 'big ... Questions for ... thread' (in the Rules sub-forum).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone. It seems that the consensus agrees with my original understanding, which does appear to be the only way to interpret that rule as it is written. It might seem odd that they are so good at routing any other path through a maze, but the good old chain link fence with Barbed Wire on top will stop them every time (until an Abomination shows up).

I think it has to do with the unique nature of undead 'senses'. Their acute hearing and sense of smell allow them to find openings that lead to their prey. However, barbwire allows the noise and smell through, so the 'unthinking' dead keep moving forward as long as it sounds and smells like the shortest distance. Isn't the handler there to help a bloodhound out in a similar situation where an escapee has gone over a fence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Clipper wrote:

I think it has to do with the unique nature of undead 'senses'. Their acute hearing and sense of smell allow them to find openings that lead to their prey. However, barbwire allows the noise and smell through, so the 'unthinking' dead keep moving forward as long as it sounds and smells like the shortest distance. Isn't the handler there to help a bloodhound out in a similar situation where an escapee has gone over a fence?

Great analogy! Also, think of the previous, and current, series of The Walking Dead (or the comic books). They distract walkers through barbed wire all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.