Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
The third hero (after Vanish and the Stranger) in my game group's custom expansion. She also went through a major overhaul after a few playtests; initially, combo chains were unlimited in length and her damage output could get ridiculous. That was retooled (and more of her Wolverine influence leaked over) into this form, where HP is a resource that she gets big returns on spending. The idea of finishers was originally inspired by Braithwhite's Father Fray/Mother Mayhem deck from this forum, the implementation and combo chaining was inspired by Super Smash Bros. Coincidentally, Dennison M (FlatOnHisFace) just posted a hero with a similar mechanic the day before I finished coloring Quicksilver's art; take a look at his as well!

Quicksilver is a damage-dealer who works exclusively through one-shots. Her ongoings increase damage dealt and make her more powerful when she has less HP, as well as helping her survive killing blows. Her Combo one-shots can be chained together at the cost of HP and capped with Finisher one-shots for damage at the expense of hand size, while her base power keeps her in cards.

Hero: Quicksilver
HP: 25
Base power: Reshape
- Discard a card. If you do, draw 2 cards.

Incapacitated:
- One player may play a card now.
- Destroy 1 ongoing card.
- Until the start of your next turn, increase melee damage dealt by hero targets by 1.

One-shots (Qty: 7)
-----------------------------
Liquid Metal (Qty: 4)
- Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Combo and a Finisher and put them into your hand. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck. Quicksilver may deal herself 2 melee damage and play a Combo now.

Test Subject Halberd-19 (Qty: 3)
- Quicksilver regains 6HP. Immediately end your turn.

One-shot, Combo (Qty: 12)
Mercury Strike (Qty: 3)
- Quicksilver deals 1 target 2 melee damage, then 1 target 1 melee damage. You may play a Finisher, or Quicksilver may deal herself 2 melee damage and play a Combo.

Alloy Storm (Qty: 3)
- Quicksilver deals each non-hero target 1 projectile damage. You may play a Finisher, or Quicksilver may deal herself 2 melee damage and play a Combo.

Coalescing Spear (Qty: 3)
- Quicksilver deals 1 target 3 projectile damage. You may play a Finisher, or Quicksilver may deal herself 2 melee damage and play a Combo.

Whispering Steel (Qty: 3)
- Quicksilver deals 1 target 2 irreducible melee damage. You may play a Finisher, or Quicksilver may deal herself 2 melee damage and play a Combo.

One-shot, Finisher (Qty: 4)
Forest of Needles (Qty: 2)
- Quicksilver may deal 6 melee damage to a target with more than 8HP, or 3 melee damage to a target with 8 or fewer HP.

Guard Breaker (Qty: 2)
- Destroy a target with 3 or fewer HP, or deal 1 target 3 irreducible damage.

Ongoing (Qty: 17)
Iron Retort (Qty: 3)
- When this card enters play, draw a card and Quicksilver regains 2HP. When Quicksilver is dealt damage, you may destroy this card. If you do, you may play a card.

Malleable Armor (Qty: 2, Limited)
- If Quicksilver would be reduced from greater than 1 HP to 0 or fewer HP, restore her to 1HP.
Power: if Quicksilver has not dealt damage this turn, she regains 3HP.

Vicious Memories (Qty: 2, Limited)
- You may draw an extra card during your draw phase.

Stress Hardening (Qty: 3, Limited)
- If Quicksilver currently has less than her max HP, increase damage she deals to non-hero targets by 1. If Quicksilver has 10 or fewer HP, increase damage she deals to non-hero targets by an additional 1.

Combo Chain (Qty: 3, Limited)
- The first time each turn that Quicksilver would deal herself damage to play a Combo card, prevent that damage.

Frenzied Melee (Qty: 2, Limited)
- Increase all damage by 1. The first time a hero target would be dealt damage by a non-hero target during the villain turn, you may redirect that damage to Quicksilver. Power: destroy this card.

Mirror Shard (Qty: 2, Limited)
- When this card enters play, draw a card. You may redirect any damage dealt by other hero targets to Quicksilver. Whenever Quicksilver takes damage this way, she deals 1 non-hero target X damage of the same type, where X is the damage that was dealt to Quicksilver plus 1.

[ High-res individual images | printing instructions ]

EDIT: tweaked the combo wording and fixed Mirror Shard & Guard Breaker.
EDIT: reduced the number of hits Mercury Strike deals.
EDIT: reduced the damage on the rest of her combo cards by 1, changed Forest to only deal 6 against targets with high current HP, and Iron Retort is no longer guaranteed to play a card.
EDIT: reduced TSH19 to 6HP, made melee "you may" redirect.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Some notes on her gameplay:
- Her base power equates to drawing a card, but the discard cost makes it a little harder to dump your whole hand into a combo and spring right back. It also allows her to throw away useless ongoings or duplicates in the early game and look for specific problem-solving Combo cards.
- Alloy Storm/Mercury Strike are her combos for spreading around damage, while Coalescing Spear/Whispering Steel focus the pain on a problem target. With late-game damage buffing potentially at +3, Mercury Strike can be one of her most powerful attacks.
- Guard Breaker is her finisher for removing untouchable targets, while Forest of Needles is for staggering big targets like Electro-Pulse Explosives or Gloomweaver's relics.
- Liquid Metal sets her up for a combo chain and, like all her combos, allows her to spend HP to get more damage out the door. All of these combine with her damage buff, Stress Hardening, which buffs her more once she's at/below 10HP. Combo Chain lets her throw in a free combo every turn without the damage.
- Mirror Shard lets other heroes get in on Quicksilver's self-damage buffing while pushing her towards that 10HP threshold.
- Frenzied Melee emulates the oft-desirable universal damage buffs the environment throws out, while forcing Quicksilver into the fighting. This could be helpful for activating Stress Hardening, but she still only has so much HP.
- Malleable Armor prevents a single unexpected source of damage from knocking Quicksilver out when you're dancing at low HP, and its power allows her to take turns off from fighting to heal and set up other ongoings.
- Vicious Memories and Test Subject Halberd-19 are straightforward healing/drawing cards.
- Iron Retort allows her to set up for a combo out of turn, meaning she can still use Malleable Armor that same turn. It's almost always preferable to set up Retort than to just attack, because you'll have all the extra cards in hand when it trips (and be healthier).

Alternate character cards for Quicksilver wrote:
Hero: The Uncanny Quicksilver
HP: 24
Base power: Razor's Edge
- Quicksilver deals 1 target 2 melee damage.

Incapacitated:
- One player may draw until they have 4 cards in hand.
- One player may use a power now.
- One player may discard any number of cards to regain X HP, where X is the number of cards discarded.
Alternate character cards for Quicksilver wrote:
Hero: Renegade Quicksilver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am impressed with the art alone. I haven't really got a chance to look at all the cards yet. With that said, any chance you'll set up the images to be ready for one of the many printing services? I'd be interested in trying it in physical form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the combo + finishing move concept was more prevalent than I thought. Nice job. Would you prefer more variety in the combo cards to allow for more interesting resolutions of the chains or do you base these on the abilities of characters from another game and stick to their maneuvers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if this was setup in say artscow.com I would order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewabair wrote:
Yes, if this was setup in say artscow.com I would order.

Same here. Awesome work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
I guess the combo + finishing move concept was more prevalent than I thought.

Yeah I had no idea. Originally her combos and finishers had a lot of variety, including drawing cards, reusing combos, increasing the next or all subsequent damage, and one heavy finisher where everything she hadn't hit that turn dealt her damage (an idea I still like). But in the end it boiled down to her just dealing a ton of damage to whoever she felt like, so these 4 combos simplified that a lot, and the finishers are now viable heavy-hit moves on their own. Nothing's actually based on a game, I just wanted that feel.

To everyone asking about card printing, I am absolutely going to put them in Printer Studio or someplace eventually (along with Vanish and the Stranger). The delay is still that I don't want to spend an evening formatting and uploading them yet when I could be finishing the art for the rest of our mini-expansion; the more that get done, the better the bulk order! That said, maybe I'll try to get these 3 up next weekend if I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Since I keep using future work as an excuse, might as well tease some more of it. Character fronts for most of the other heroes are done:

Doc Havoc (brawler, support, healer)

Necro (summoner, damage-dealer, hostile minions)

Baccarat (play from trash, use pairs for effects, versatile)

Tango One (heavy single hitter, irreducible, destruction)

Not colored yet is the Knight (tanker/damage dealer) for 8 heroes total. And here's the uncolored art for the first of the 4 villains, the Ram:

Somewhat like Plague Rat, he has 5 ongoing "Up Close" cards that heroes can voluntarily put into play next to themselves. Some of his targets can only be damaged by heroes who're Up Close, but his worst attacks also hit hard Up Close.

The remaining stuff:
- Tiamat (villain): three-headed elemental dragon uses magic spells which power up over time. Each head is a villain character.
- Anathema (villain): shapeshifter whose behavior is determined by constantly-changing arm/body/head targets.
- Undisclosed summoner villain with an army of varied minions.
- The Wandering Isle (environment): you must protect this 50HP environment target while you fight on its back.
- The Haunted Lands (environment): mist and ghosts interfere indescriminately, while the dreaded Hound stalks the deck til it appears on the last card.
- Undisclosed timeship (environment): a medley of obstructive and occasionally helpful time jumps and vortexes put different restrictions out every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how you see the story of her powers, I might change the melee damage that Quicksilver deals herself to keep combo chains going into psychic damage instead, to represent the mental strain of holding herself together amidst all the shapeshifting.

Otherwise, I'm with those who would really consider ordering these when finances permit, if they can be made to fit in size & weight with the original sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I like the hero a lot, esp. a finisher that destroys a 3hp target.

One idea, there are only 4 finisher's in the game, I don't know how rare you want those to be played,but a way to speed it up would be having Liquid Metal put the revealed cards in the trash so Quicksilver can cycle her deck faster.

They are really powerful cards so I can see wanting them to not be used a lot, just thought of that looking over the hero.

I really like Mirror Shard, there are plenty of times that 1 extra point of damage is worth so much.
(you left it off the list of cards though)

1 question about Mirror Shard, when Quicksilver would deal herself damage to play another combo card, can you use Mirror shard to take the damage and deal it with the +1, then play a combo card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also -- assuming you have space on your cards, look at making your combo cards Ruling 15 compliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Thanks for catching those. Mirror Shard is in the list but under one-shots by accident. It should only trigger when she's dealt damage by ANOTHER hero target.

All her combos should read "may deal herself 2 melee damage AND play a combo"; she has to deal herself the damage, whether or not she takes any doesn't matter.

I made it melee damage in reference to retracting/extending the metal blades and stuff, rather than psychic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my point was that the general ruling with respect to damage being dealt in order to get a benefit (for example, Tachyon's Pushing the Limit) is "no damage, no benefit."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I think I've seen that ruling, although given all the cards that specify "if the target takes damage this way," I feel that it's very weak wording (gotta love Sentinels, but there is a lot of inelegant wording).

If Quicksilver's cards are changed to read "may deal herself 2 dmg AND play a combo", to me that means you can do A&B or niether; if you do A&B, there's no stipulation that A has to have a certain outcome. Really inane would be whether you can take the 2 damage if you have no combos in hand; I would say this wording supports that you cannot.

I plan to update the images/card list tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"... may deal herself 2 melee damage. If she takes damage this way, she may play a Combo card." ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think he is going for that trade-off though, there are still plenty of cards where you deal yourself damage and gain a benefit where you don't have to take the damage.

Do you intend finishers to have to follow a combo? Or can you just throw a finisher for your normal card play?

I like the contrast of this hero with Vanish, Vanish gets insane with +damage, where as Quicksilver doesn't want it as much, since it will cost her a lot to really take advantage of it. That they both are based on heavy card play makes that stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xxxxx Xxxxx
msg tools
tosx wrote:

Guard Breaker (Qty: 2)
- Destroy a target with 3 or fewer HP, or deal 1 target 3 irreducible damage.

Love the theme and the art!

Mainly wanted to point out that the damage type is not specified with this card. Probably melee damage?

"Destroy a target with 3 or fewer HP, or deal 1 target 3 irreducible MELEE damage."

Destroy a 3HP target and do 3 irreducible damage is pretty much the same thing - the only thing I can think of that might make it different is if a target with 3 or less HP had some damage redirection ability. Is there some other condition I might be missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
You guys are awesome proofreaders, after a while I stop fully reading my own stuff. It is supposed to be melee damage.

The difference I had in mind was cases where a target is immune to damage (due to environment or other weird effects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
You can destroy things that are immune to damage, or when another target is redirecting to itself, or if you can't deal damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice teaser. I eagerly await Tiamat and the Wandering Isle. Your understanding of the game concepts really shows in your deck design and it is some of the most consistent quality work I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xxxxx Xxxxx
msg tools
tosx wrote:
The difference I had in mind was cases where a target is immune to damage (due to environment or other weird effects).

Phantaskippy wrote:
You can destroy things that are immune to damage, or when another target is redirecting to itself, or if you can't deal damage.

Ahhh. I thought I was missing something. Yeah that makes sense. I think I was trapped into thinking the finisher was going to be played after a damage dealing combo card, but while it can be, it doesn't have to, and it doesn't have to be targeted at the same target either...

Thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the intent with Alloy Storm that it would also hit heroes?

Alloy Storm (Qty: 3)
- Quicksilver deals each target 2 projectile damage. You may play a Finisher, or Quicksilver may deal herself 2 melee damage to play a Combo.

This looks like an awesome effort. I had to read Malleable Armor a few times but then I got it. I will be happy to try it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
That's another typo, should be non-hero targets for Alloy Storm. Looks like I need to give the whole thing another proofread tonight. Thanks for catching.

I also just noticed that the wording of Combo Chain potentially allows you to play 2 Finishers in one turn. The intent would actually be met by the following wording:
"The first time each turn that Quicksilver would deal herself damage to play a Combo card, prevent that damage."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xxxxx Xxxxx
msg tools
As per my report in the Vanish thread, I played a couple games of Vanish + Quicksilver vs. Omnitron.

I wanted to post my feelings about Quicksilver here in this thread rather than in the Vanish thread.

Quicksilver was easily the star performer between the two, with some good damage output. Her card draw engine is very effective. She seems designed to either build up during a turn, or let loose with damage, and unless the game conspires to give you a ‘free’ turn where nothing harmful happens in the environment or Villain decks, it becomes hard to find the time to play any permanent cards (ongoing/equipment).

While I do like her, I’m left with 2 cards that I just can’t ever see playing and would like to ask for more info about them.

Frenzied Melee: This card boosts all damage – so it increases the damage she does to herself for playing ‘bonus’ combo cards from 2 to 3, effectively either discouraging the play of this card or the extra combo cards. And because this card redirects even more damage to her, I can’t ever see wanting to play this card.

Mirror Shard: Ok, when it might have been take 2 of your own combo damage to deal 3, 4 or 5 damage (with Stress Hardening) to another target, I could see it, but why would I ever want to remove another hero’s outgoing damage, to hit myself, just to do that same damage +1 (+2 or +3 with Stress Hardening) to something?

Given that it seems very hard to play a permanent with her already, and the above two are permanents, it seems like they need some kind of adjustment to really make them valuable.

Iron Retort, when I can get it into play, is a fun card – I can see the combos with it and either Malleable Armor (prevent death) or Test Subject Halberd-19 (heal 10 without skipping your draw). Or you can use it just for healing 2 HP and a combo/finisher chain during some other turn.

Stress Hardening: minor quibble, but for some reason I feel it would be better if it were “less than or equal to” 10HP instead of just “less than” 10HP for the second bonus damage. Maybe I just like “less than or equal to” more than I like “less than”.

I really like all her one-shot cards, I just wish there was a way to reduce self-damage on the chained combos by 1 point per combo. You were probably staying away from Damage Reduction on purpose for thematic reasons, and I do see the new wording for Combo Chain which makes its intent much clearer (it’s how I was paying it anyway), but I’d really love to see 1 point of Damage Reduction from somewhere, even if its limited DR, like -1 melee damage so that it mostly applies only to the self-damage from playing combos.

So maybe I’m not seeing the real benefits to Frenzied Melee and Mirror Shard that outweigh their drawbacks? I’d love to gain some insight into those cards, even if it’s just thematic info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression was that damage reduction was left out because it makes the character more interesting in different situations. If the environment provides damage reduction, then this character plays differently than in one that doesn't.

If the character provides its own damage reduction, then it plays about the same anywhere it goes. And that's boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.