Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Mayfield
United States
Artesia
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
I am in the cult of the new. I buy more games that I can possibly play. So instead of playing those games, I come on boardgame geek just to read about new games that I can buy, instead of playing the games I have. So I ask to all of you, were is this going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sound like you sleeping on a pile of game boxes is where it's going

Edit: and seriously, play your games!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools

It's going to fill up your shelves and lead to buying more, which will then lead you to the realization that your current shelves do not adequately showcase your collection and from there it's just a short leap into learning carpentry to make your own custom shelves. Find some friends to play with before the sawdust claims you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
robearto wrote:
I am in the cult of the new. I buy more games that I can possibly play. So instead of playing those games, I come on boardgame geek just to read about new games that I can buy, instead of playing the games I have. So I ask to all of you, were is this going?

Retirement.

No. Not so you can sell them like an investment. But, so you can still have games that you haven't played to death or maybe even not at all when you no longer have a disposable income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Owned: 38"

I don't think it's started yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably headed towards owning a lot of games that you don't play more than once or twice, if at all. The luster may eventually wear off. When that happens, you may sell off a bunch of games in a big auction for way less than you paid for them and settle into enjoying the ones you deemed worth keeping.

Or maybe you'll start having to wear box tops as clothes. Who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robearto wrote:

You're headed for disillusionment. Save yourself the trouble... Send your games to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
robearto wrote:

Are you only buying brand-new games (released within the last 6 months)? It doesn't look that way. It looks like you're trying to build a collection. Buying as many brand-new games as possible because you just GOTTA have 'em is the Cult of the New. If you're new to the hobby and you're simply padding out your Owned list with games, that is called "Collecting". Cult of the New is the cult that plays a brand-new game at Essen one time and rushes to BGG to declare "BEST GAME EVER MADE EVER!" Not to be confused with the Cult of the OOP, which behaves in a similar manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
If you are married remember to make big orders rather than many small ones, it's easier to slip new games in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's geek gold worthy advice!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
max_s wrote:
If you are married remember to make big orders rather than many small ones, it's easier to slip new games in that way.

The best method is to get someone else order the games for you. You take a bag full of games to game night, but leave a little extra room. You left home with 3 games, you come home with 4. Your wife never notices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's two gems in a row!
You, sir, are very wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
You're probably headed towards owning a lot of games that you don't play more than once or twice, if at all. The luster may eventually wear off. When that happens, you may sell off a bunch of games in a big auction for way less than you paid for them and settle into enjoying the ones you deemed worth keeping.

Do you have a camera in my game room or something? Creepy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
max_s wrote:

The best method is to get someone else order the games for you. You take a bag full of games to game night, but leave a little extra room. You left home with 3 games, you come home with 4. Your wife never notices.

Or just be single and buy all of the games. All of them. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
coopasonic wrote:
imyourskribe wrote:

Do you have a camera in my game room or something? Creepy.

And a fat lot of good it has done me recently with those stacks of board games everywhere blocking the view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zuggy
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a rule that I have to play a game at least once before I buy a new one and if I enjoy it I have to play at least 4 more times. There are a few exceptions, like I've only played Arkham Horror 3 or 4 times, but for the most part this is how I roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar prolem, my game group likes playing certain games, but it's really hard to convince them to try new ones. So I've been picking up games with a solo/possible ability. That way at least I can play by myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuggy wrote:
I have a rule that I have to play a game at least once before I buy a new one and if I enjoy it I have to play at least 4 more times. There are a few exceptions, like I've only played Arkham Horror 3 or 4 times, but for the most part this is how I roll.

Yeah that works...This is how that theory works out for me:

1. I buy a new game
2. I Immediately invites housemates to try it that evening and everyone has fun.
3. Thanks to my 'board-gaming is awesome' mood, I now want to buy a new game.
4. Well, I've played everything I own at least once, guess I could buy just 1 more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.