Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The two imps lay on their hospital beds, sipping cocktails.

"Did you see that nurse?" asked the one with the bandaged hands.

"The one with cute ears?" asked the one with the bandaged head.

"Yeah, that one. Have you noticed how she smiles at me?"

"I think she's laughing at you. It was pretty stupid, trying to catch a fire-breathing monster with your bare hands."

"Says the guy who wouldn't let go of the chain even after the monster lifted off."

"I let go eventually," said the one with the bandaged head. "Those things are hard to manage."

"The grown ones are nastier," said bandaged hands. "Back when I worked in a dungeon, I saw one set an entire party of adventurers on fire."

"Ah. Good times. You know, I hear the ones they make in the arenas of Tash-Kalar are even nastier."

"Hey, didn't one of those escape recently?"

"Nah. That was something else."

"Oh, yeah. That's right. It was a--"

"Hey! The nurse with the cute ears is coming back! Looks like second dinner."

"We already ate second dinner."

"Maybe it's third dinner?"

They waited hopefully, not realizing they were in the Dark Alleys expansion. The headhunter set down the dinner trays and reached for the rope concealed within her white coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what's this about? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It's part of a clue in a puzzle who's answer is in a contest:

http://boardgamegeek.com/contest/lostlegend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
The Prophecy of the Escaping Legend
Escaped Legend Clue
Legendary Escape
Stories of Escaped Pets (and Legends)
Escaped Legend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
This clue, unfortunately, is not as clear as it could be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Vytenov
Russia
Novosibirsk
Novosibirskaya Oblast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

All clues are very clear and this one is no exception
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:

This one requires more reading between the lines than the others, but when you get it it's very clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I since found out that the tidbit I was referring to that seemed unclear here was also tackled by one (or possibly even two) other clues. It's possible that it was not meant to be understood within the context of this clue, anyways...

Sorry for being cryptic, but don't want to spoil neither fun nor solution...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Pfennighaus
United States
Croton-On-Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Cover your heart!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also helpful:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schwarz
Germany
wendlingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannot find any clue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The clues are there, but they are not as blatantly obvious as in some other threads. Here, there is no name given, but if you add the aspects mentioned together, you would arrive at a clue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
The clues are there, but they are not as blatantly obvious as in some other threads. Here, there is no name given, but if you add the aspects mentioned together, you would arrive at a clue...

I gotta agree with the other posters. As written, it doesn’t exclude anything.

Why? For the purpose of not spoiling the clue, pretend they said "oh, you couldn’t grab hold of its feathers” and “yeah, because I didn’t want to get close to that beak!” So long as at least two creatures exist that have feathers and a beak, you can’t conclude anything. Say they had a giant chicken in mind: “no, something else” doesn’t eliminate every creature with feathers or a beak. They could mean a giant duck, a cockatrice, a feathered pteradon… It doesn’t even matter if only one of the contest choices has feathers and a beak—they could still have referred to another creature by the first part, one not listed in the contest, and the “something else” could then refer to the feathered beaky contest choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you need to take things at face value. If they talk about it being something else, it is "something else" entirely!
Spoiler (click to reveal)

It does not breathe fire, nor does it fly. Especially, since it becomes clear that both Imps are talking about the same creature.
And there is only one flying fire-breather in the list of legends!

Yes, here you have to read between the lines somewhat, as you need to put the more subtle hints together. But then, you must be careful not to overanalyse or overinterpret. Which is something we gamers tend to do, especially with rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the contest ended, here is the solution to this clue:
This one requires a bit more reading between the lines than the other clues. The imps talk about raising fire-breathing flying monsters. For me it was clear they meant dragons.
*rant* And yet Charizard is not a dragon-type *endrant*
Then they mention the "even nastier ones" they make at Tash-Kalar - that must refer to the two legendary beings "Fire Dragon" and "Two-Headed Dragon". Then one of them asks "didn't one of those escape recently?" meaning "didn't a Tash-Kalar dragon escape?" and the other says it was something else. Therefore we can rule out both dragons.
Many people didn't rule out Two-Headed Dragon because the imps talked about a fire-breathing creature and there is no clear indication that THD breathes fire. But I think this clue was enough to rule out both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:

I felt that the Galaxy Trucker clue ruled out these creatures anyway, making this Dungeon Petz clue redundant/unnecessary.

There are dragons in the Chinese zodiac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
CBpegasus wrote:

I felt that the Galaxy Trucker clue ruled out these creatures anyway, making this Dungeon Petz clue redundant/unnecessary.

There are dragons in the Chinese zodiac.

Why do you think that was including the Chinese zodiac?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are various versions of dragons. And not all dragons can fly. Likewise not all dragons can breathe fire.
The problem with the other clue is that it is not totally clear if the creature being "flying" and "firebreathing" is a dragon, of course. But it is easy to establish that, out of the 12 legends, there is only one flying fire-breather. Hence the "Dragon" reference.
But the problem there is that the Twoheaded Dragon, while having wings, is not shown as breathing fire. Hence, it could only be excluded by association, which is a weak link...
...or by looking at the word "zodiac" more critically. There are actually two widely-known zodiacs, the Chinese and the Western zodiac. Why exclude one of them? It makes a lot more sense to exclude both dragons due to the zodiac than excluding the two-headed dragon based on the Dungeon Petz clue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Well, there are various versions of dragons. And not all dragons can fly. Likewise not all dragons can breathe fire.
The problem with the other clue is that it is not totally clear if the creature being "flying" and "firebreathing" is a dragon, of course. But it is easy to establish that, out of the 12 legends, there is only one flying fire-breather. Hence the "Dragon" reference.
But the problem there is that the Twoheaded Dragon, while having wings, is not shown as breathing fire. Hence, it could only be excluded by association, which is a weak link...
...or by looking at the word "zodiac" more critically. There are actually two widely-known zodiacs, the Chinese and the Western zodiac. Why exclude one of them? It makes a lot more sense to exclude both dragons due to the zodiac than excluding the two-headed dragon based on the Dungeon Petz clue...

Given the context of Galaxy Trucker and space, it sure seemed like Astrological zodiac was implied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Why do you think that was including the Chinese zodiac?

Why do you think it wouldn't be including the Chinese zodiac?

Playing with people's assumptions (e.g. assuming only Western-centric zodiac) is a common thing in puzzles and riddles.

And in any case it was consistent with the dragon clue from here.

Since it made this clue redundant, perhaps it was intended to not include the Chinese zodiac... and it was just a happy coincidence that it worked using the Chinese zodiac as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fox
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I incorrectly went with Two-headed dragon based on this clue. Not only is the reference slightly ambiguous (dragon versus fire-breathing dragon), but the fact that one of the imps got it mixed up made me think the escaped legend was similar to the fire-breathing dragon. Why should anyone think it was a dragon when it was Titan? As for the fact that the imp was corrected, I see no reason why not to distinguish the two kinds of dragons, especially because they are two separate entities out of only 12 legends.

Or maybe I am just getting impatient waiting for this game to ship to North America whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.