David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
So my daughter, who is not a big gamer, asks me today if there was a game that was similar in nature to one of her favorite TV shows, Reign... I've never watched the show, but I was told the television series follows the early years of Mary, Queen of Scots. Again, 1)My daughter is not a big gamer. 2)My daughter is not a big history buff. So, needless to say I was very happy with this exchange.

She's looking for kings, queens, kingdoms, alliances, treachery, deceit, marriages, medieval, etc. I immediately thought, Here I Stand and Virgin Queen, both games that I've played. But, then I remembered it was my daughter we're talking about...

Knowing her, these are the parameters that would be most desirable, although I'm willing to look at just about any game that fits the theme above. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

1.Prefers shorter games, about 60-75 minutes max.
2.Has a preference for card games, but it's not a must.
3.Prefers simpler games that do not contain a lot of complex rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Shadows over Camelot

It also has a card-version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thoughts were to Warrior Knights or something from the Game of Thrones stable, but they're definitely at the heavier end of the spectrum.

King's Blood is essentially UNO but the cards represent characters you can marry and have children, send into exile etc. However the art is manga style with only a slight medieval flavour to it.

Again on the family tree theme there's Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy, but that's not so much about kingdoms and alliances, and I don't know how much treachery is in there.

ETA Henry VIII: Intrigue in the Tudor Court and Bloody Mary: Further Intrigue in the Tudor Court are bullseyes for the theme, free P'n'P, but need 4+ players.

ETA 2: There's no marriages and its in a fantasy setting but Discworld: Ankh-Morpork might suit. Rather than kings and queens fighting over a kingdom you're lords battling for control of a city, it's card driven with plenty of characters, reasonably light and has a fair amount of bluff and secrecy.

I should have asked this first - how old is your daughter?

ETA 3: There seems to be something about hitting the "submit" button that is triggering my memory this moring, my apologies.

Caesar & Cleopatra Is a two player card game of controlling and manipulating Roman senators. More I, CLAVDIVS than Reign, but it has plenty of intrigue for such a small game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
madster321 wrote:
Have a look at Shadows over Camelot

It also has a card-version

No, I hadn't thought of that game. I happen to have a copy that I haven't attempted to play yet too. lol I will take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
My first thoughts were to Warrior Knights or something from the Game of Thrones stable, but they're definitely at the heavier end of the spectrum.

King's Blood is essentially UNO but the cards represent characters you can marry and have children, send into exile etc. However the art is manga style with only a slight medieval flavour to it.

Again on the family tree theme there's Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy, but that's not so much about kingdoms and alliances, and I don't know how much treachery is in there.

ETA Henry VIII: Intrigue in the Tudor Court and Bloody Mary: Further Intrigue in the Tudor Court are bullseyes for the theme, free P'n'P, but need 4+ players.

ETA 2: There's no marriages and its in a fantasy setting but Discworld: Ankh-Morpork might suit. Rather than kings and queens fighting over a kingdom you're lords battling for control of a city, it's card driven with plenty of characters, reasonably light and has a fair amount of bluff and secrecy.

ETA 3: There seems to be something about hitting the "submit" button that is triggering my memory this moring, my apologies.

Caesar & Cleopatra Is a two player card game of controlling and manipulating Roman senators. More I, CLAVDIVS than Reign, but it has plenty of intrigue for such a small game.

Thanks Matt. You've given me some things to think about here for sure. I will also take a look at Game of Thrones even though it might be on the complex end of things. Completely forgot about that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alonso Alvarez
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
Coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a little game of Kingmaker?

A little updated by modern standars but has all you asked, well perhaps the weddings are not directly addressed but are more akin to the Red Wedding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels if you play with 3 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was Blood Royale which has all of the dynastic stuff but may be hard to come by and is probably too long. So how about The Three Musketeers: The Queen's Pendants which has court intrigue with added swashbuckling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy Bourbon

New Boston
New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is a fictional and not historical setting, Courtier has the royal court intrigue you seem to be looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:

I missed this the first time around. My daughter is 16. Thanks for the tips everyone. Looking into all your suggestions now. I'm sure I'll find something there that fits the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.