Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Variants

Subject: Free-For-All Intrigue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Hall
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
During the intrigue phase, instead of taking turns playing intrigue cards me and my friends just play them all out until everyone's done in no order. It makes the game go faster and it eliminates the advantage that the last player automatically gains over everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and when do you finish the phase? It could get into a deadlock that I do not play my card until you play yours, and vice versa.

Also, it gives an advantage to the Host...normally he has a disadvantage (going first), but that is not the case anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hall
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Nushura wrote:
and when do you finish the phase? It could get into a deadlock that I do not play my card until you play yours, and vice versa.

Also, it gives an advantage to the Host...normally he has a disadvantage (going first), but that is not the case anymore.

Everybody just plays their cards. No designated person really goes first. People just play cards until we're in agreement that everyone is done. We ask if everyone's ready for market and we proceed. So there's no real locking of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Treleaven

Fargo
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilik850 wrote:
During the intrigue phase, instead of taking turns playing intrigue cards me and my friends just play them all out until everyone's done in no order. It makes the game go faster and it eliminates the advantage that the last player automatically gains over everyone.

I like this idea but haven't been able to try it yet. I've only been able to play the game about 5 times but 4 of the 5 times the winner has been the last person to play intrigue cards. This seems to have the game end on a sour note.

Have anyone else tried this variant or have any complaints?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll copy what I wrote in this topic: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1092332/house-rules-to-make-...

There is no play order during intrigue, every players does what they want, and we move to market once everyone agrees. Truth is I played like this since the first time (that is how the rules were explained to me) so I never tried anything else. And frankly I find it can be unfair to make host go first, since the player left of the guy that wins host more often will be at a disadvantage versus the player on the hosts right.

There were some comments about this, check it out if you would like to know more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.