Popular Tags: [View All]
Maartje Giesbers
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I've been playing Civilization the board game for a few times now, mostly 2 player games. I like it a lot, but due to the cumulative nature of the game, sometimes it is already clear who will win after the 5th turn or so. Even though the victory is not in sight yet, the person in lead has so many advantages (culture cards, more cities etc) that it becomes hard for the second player to catch up.
I was wondering if any of the expansions help on this part? And which expansion you guys think is the best addition for 2 players, that will also take out a small luck factor?

I understand you can only play a 5 player game with the Fame & Fortune expansion, but is a 5 player game still nice? How long does it take you to play?

Many questions, I know, but it would be great if you could help me enjoy this game even more
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Both expansion are great.

The best suggestion is to find a thrid player ^^. Civ isn't much funny with 2 players only, it's clearly better with 3 or 4 players, because you have some counter powers, some referees that can help the weakest and slow down the strongest. Something that isn't possible in a 2 players game.

About expansion, if you can't find more players, I suggest you to go for F&F first, because there is a more random thing in it that can make a difference in your 2 players game : the Great Person deck. For example a Leonidas drawn, can sometimes change the balance.
There is no random stuff in W&W, but it's clearly a needed expansion.

-> The best is to find more players, and get both expansion ^^.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gui lin
msg tools
mb
I'd say W&W would be better balanced for a 2p game, because the starting military advantage isn't quite so glaring with the new unit cards.
Higher atk means lower hp which translates into lower combat score at the end of battle
However, cultural event and great persons are more powerful in the F&F expansion, those would also help in 1v1 situations later on in the game

F&F balanced mid to late game for 1v1, whereas W&W balanced game start so that starting with a 111 hand doesn't mean a sure loss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davidson Santos
msg tools
MG_Turquoise wrote:
Hi everyone,

I understand you can only play a 5 player game with the Fame & Fortune expansion, but is a 5 player game still nice? How long does it take you to play?

MG_Turquoise Hello, Well I never tried with 2 players only 3.4 and 5 players .. in entering the game takes around 4-5 hours with the Fame & Fortune expansion and Wisdom and Warfare without Wisdom and Warfare takes 6-7 hours if adapitar for 2 players think the best Wisdom and Warfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.