Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been pulled in by the force of this one, and want to jump in to play with my son, mates occasionally and even a bit of solo. I have £100 (not $) which online could get me:

x2 core sets
Millenium Falcon
Tie Interceptor
Tie Bomber

or

Core Set
Millenium Falcon
Slave 1
A Wing
B Wing
Tie Interceptor
Tie Bomber

or

x2 core sets
Millenium Falcon
Slave 1
Tie Interceptor

So unsure! I think the Falcon is a necessity, but just want a reasonable, and pretty even mix to get going for the £100. I am leaning to x2 core sets because of extra dice etc...

Any thoughts or advice really welcome, as I think I will love this game.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniels
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with your 2nd option as it gives you the max number if different ships and options. If you like it enough pick up a second starter box later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get started with 2 core sets. Those offer a great value for money and give you the extra dice, range ruler and maneuver templates.

The rest more or less a matter of personal taste. If I had to chose one of your options, I would go with the last one and get a B-Wing instead of the Inteceptor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniels
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And at some point I'd get a tie advanced just as it comes with darth vader as a pilot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add another vote for "definitely get 2 core sets".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote no on a 2nd core set. That made more sense in Wave 1, but there are so many ships out now I would tell you to get a variety.

I recently got into X-Wing, and I only bought a 2nd core set after I had 1 of everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ValDoonican wrote:

x2 core sets
Millenium Falcon
Tie Interceptor
Tie Bomber

or

Core Set
Millenium Falcon
Slave 1
A Wing
B Wing
Tie Interceptor
Tie Bomber

or

x2 core sets
Millenium Falcon
Slave 1
Tie Interceptor

Weird, comparing options 1 and 2: 1 core set equals Slave 1 + A Wing + B Wing. Comparing 1 and 3: Tie Bomber equals Slave 1.

All seem to be good options in my opinion. I would probably go for option 2 (and maybe replace the A Wing with an Y Wing or an imperial ship).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Diehl
United States
Junction City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
The eerie war chant emanating from the morning fog set chills down every spine. "Lah, lah, la lah, lah, lah."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going with the group of people saying to get a second starter. Yes it cuts into your variety, but I just HATE not having enough dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would do this...

x2 core sets
Millenium Falcon
Slave 1
Tie Advanced

If I had to chose between 1 interceptor and 1 advanced, I'd go with the advanced.

2 Core sets will give you the most ships for the money. The issue with your middle option is, that while you have a lot of variety, X-Wing lists tend to work better when you have duplicates of a give ship.

A 4 X-Wing list will tend to work better then a list with a X, Y, A and B will. That's not a hard and fast rule mind you... just a general rule of thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papasmerv wrote:
I'm going with the group of people saying to get a second starter. Yes it cuts into your variety, but I just HATE not having enough dice.

that's actually my reason (at least timing-wise) for buying another core after my first test game. Originally, my plan was more going for variety first (one of each before going into numbers), but not having enough dice was irritating, and the rest of the core doesn't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the last option best. The 2 core sets give you enough dice plus a good number of ships for the cost. The Falcon is a great buy - thematic and a good ship/cards- and I really like the interceptor. I agree with others, though, that you could swap out the interceptor for an advanced. Vader is a good pilot, and c'mon, it's Vader!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! So many opinions ... and no obvious choice".

So it seems that some say 2 core sets, and I can see that argument, but the variety of adding 2 or 3 other ships not in the core set is tempting, possibly at a cost of £5 more if 3 ships. Most single ships are around £10-12, the Slave 1 and MF are £17 and the core set is £25.

Anyway, I will ponder. I think I am probably leaning to:

Core Set £25
Core Set £25
M Falcon £17
Slave 1 £16
Tie Interceptor £11

Total: £94

?? Thanks for all advice.

After all, it is a pretty expensive "board game" at £100, and I could get 3 others from my wanted list for that (which I am slightly tempted to... Zombicide (£45), Caylus (£35), Dungeon Lords (£30) !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
I like the last option best. The 2 core sets give you enough dice plus a good number of ships for the cost. The Falcon is a great buy - thematic and a good ship/cards- and I really like the interceptor. I agree with others, though, that you could swap out the interceptor for an advanced. Vader is a good pilot, and c'mon, it's Vader!

The Advanced is sold out in UK, whilst Interceptor is not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ValDoonican wrote:
After all, it is a pretty expensive "board game" at £100

This isn't really a board game though. It's a miniature game, and as such it's actually very cheap. I spent about the same for my X-Wing collection, which is pretty extensive, as I did for 1 Warhammer 40k army.

My X-Wing collection...

4 X-Wings
4 Y-Wings
4 A-Wings
3 B-Wings (want to get a 4th)
1 HWK-290

8 Tie Fighters
4 Tie Interceptors
3 Tie Bombers (want to get a 4th)
2 Tie Advanced

1 YT-1200
1 Firespray 31
1 Lamabda Shuttle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
msg tools
I'm with the single Core set people, but I'm all about variety as opposed to quantity. A second Core set is a value option, definitely worth the price if you know that's the way you want to go, but at this point do you know you want to use more than 2 TIE's, or 1 X wing? Keep in mind you'll need the X-wing, and TIE expansion as well to get the extra pilots there, so 2 X-wings, and 3 TIE's could be enough for you.

When I started I wanted the most variety I could get as soon as possible, and a second core set right away would have impeded that. It really depends on what you prefer, bigger battles, or bigger variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mrhello3846 wrote:
but at this point do you know you want to use more than 2 TIE's, or 1 X wing?

At 100 points, if you're going to play Imperials, you will need more then 2 Tie Fighters. There just isn't many options out there for 2 Tie Fighters. I'd say the minimum number of Tie Fighters is 4.

If you're going to play rebels and use X-Wings, I'd say you'd want at least 2 of them.

By having only 1 of each ship you're actually limiting your options, not increasing them, because 2+ of a ship type works very well in X-Wing. So while you may have more types of ships, you'll be limited on what lists you can put together.

A 2nd core set offers so much that anyone who is even sort of serious about X-Wing will find it to be the best possible value they can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ValDoonican wrote:
I have been pulled in by the force of this one, and want to jump in to play with my son, mates occasionally and even a bit of solo. I have £100 (not $) which online could get me:

Welcome to the addiction! Don't worry, you'll have more money later for more stuff...

ValDoonican wrote:

x2 core sets
Millenium Falcon
Slave 1
Tie Interceptor

I also suggest 2 core sets for extra dice and movement templates, especially if you're playing with friends/son. You'll really appreciate everyone having their own stuff even if you're supplying it. As such, I would change out the interceptor for a regular wave 1 tie fighter. The Tie fighter expansion really expands what you can do with the 4 in the core set as a fleet. Pick up the Interceptor later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas hartnett
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm now in the same boat. I run a boardgame cafe and currently we only carry 2 core sets but I want to get a personal collection going.

I'm thinking of picking up a core set, tie interceptors and a wing expansion. Interceptors and A Wings are my favorite of the rebel and imperial fighters.

Wish the IG-2000 was available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am firmly in the "2 Core Sets" camp. Personally, I bought 3 (which is too many to start out with) but they really are a better value. Two Core Sets gives you more ships for less money, more dice (absolutely ESSENTIAL), a second set of templates and a second damage deck (more convenient than you would think for each player to have their of each so you don't have to pass things across the table). The truth is that this question pops up a LOT on the forums, and there's a long and short answer. You just read the long one, so here's the short one: Buy whatever appeals to you right now because if you keep playing the game, you're going to own 2+ core sets and all of the expansions in short time anyway. Might as well not fret over what order it all gets to your table in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scomatt9 wrote:
I am firmly in the "2 Core Sets" camp. Personally, I bought 3 (which is too many to start out with) but they really are a better value. Two Core Sets gives you more ships for less money, more dice (absolutely ESSENTIAL), a second set of templates and a second damage deck (more convenient than you would think for each player to have their of each so you don't have to pass things across the table). The truth is that this question pops up a LOT on the forums, and there's a long and short answer. You just read the long one, so here's the short one: Buy whatever appeals to you right now because if you keep playing the game, you're going to own 2+ core sets and all of the expansions in short time anyway. Might as well not fret over what order it all gets to your table in...

Thanks, I like that advice. I am going with two core sets, Falcon, Slave 1 and I think one other imperial, maybe Tie.
Thanks to all replies, much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
2 cores, falcon, and slave 1 is a decent start. As for the last ship, if you want to go imperial with it I actually recommend Tie Fighter pack for the really strong pilot cards. Interceptors need push the limit from awing pack (or upcoming imp aces pack) to be effective. Bombers work best in multiples. And Vader is decent but not the tie advanced in general, it doesnt have the greatest value.

An x-wing or B-wing pack would then balance your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... is that the real Val Doonican? As in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Doonican ?

That would be amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.