Subject: Kickstarter cards quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Esa Harjulampi
Finland
Joensuu
Itä-Suomi
flag msg tools
The cards look amazing but their quality seems bad. I have only played a couple of games and there are some detritions already (some cards have even began to tear). Has anyone had same experiences? Certainly going to sleeve these cards right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is one of the few games that, in my experience, should be sleeved as soon as you open the deck.

I can't comment on the new cards because I have the original. And while I backed the kickstarter edition, I don't have my copy yet.

Even though the original cards are solid, I sleeved them without hesitation even though I rarely sleeve. Games with small decks and hidden information seem to require it: Coup, Love Letter, The Resistance, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What sleeve size are these requiring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I believe it is 7 Wonders size.

Edit: From KS page "The cards will be 65mm x 100mm - the same size as the game 7 Wonders."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

Edit: From KS page "The cards will be 65mm x 100mm - the same size as the game 7 Wonders."

I find this super weird. I want to sleeve these but the 65x100s are so hard to find. Why not just be standard card game size or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nukesniper wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

I find this super weird. I want to sleeve these but the 65x100s are so hard to find. Why not just be standard card game size or something?

While I've never seen 'em in stores, you can find sleeves there at the Mayday Games website...Coolstuffinc.com also has 2 different brands of that size sleeve (Mayday & Ultra Pro) as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
nukesniper wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

While I've never seen 'em in stores, you can find sleeves there at the Mayday Games website...Coolstuffinc.com also has 2 different brands of that size sleeve (Mayday & Ultra Pro) as well...
I highly recommend getting the premium ones if you go with Mayday. Because the sleeves are so large, you really want the extra thickness because the thin ones will tear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone mentioned on the Kickstarter comments that Amazon has some Ultra Pro sleeves for cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CM80X0/ref=pe_385040_30332200_p...

It said 3 left in stock, and I bought one, and it still says 3 left in stock. So no telling how many they actually have.

EDIT:
It just updated, only 2 left. $4.65 for a pack of 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kapu Kapu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved my game with "Mayday Games Magnum 65mmx100mm" and they fit perfectly.

I don't understand why "Indie Boards&Cards" uses so many different card sizes. I have three games (Resistance, Avalon, Coup) and they all have different card sizes. They are a real pain to sleeve >_\<
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly off topic but still related to card size:

I wish they had made the box that wee bit wider so I could turn the cards 90 degrees to sit in the box. That way the cards and coins would fit perfectly. Since I opened the box and removed things I haven't been able to put the lid on snuggly with everything in the box! Perhaps it's just my poor packing skills...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parrott
United Kingdom
Crowthorne
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logan8 wrote:

I wish they had made the box that wee bit wider so I could turn the cards 90 degrees to sit in the box. That way the cards and coins would fit perfectly. Since I opened the box and removed things I haven't been able to put the lid on snuggly with everything in the box! Perhaps it's just my poor packing skills...

I'm glad it's not just me having this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Terrell
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't understand all this talk about Mayday's cheapie sleeves tearing. Maybe my play group is just really delicate with cards, or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayn0rX wrote:
I don't understand all this talk about Mayday's cheapie sleeves tearing. Maybe my play group is just really delicate with cards, or something.
The problem is they are large and don't fit that snug (at least with 7 Wonders). If you riffle shuffle a lot, it wears them quite a bit, much more so than say with the standard size sleeves. The thick ones are much more snug and don't seem to wear at all.

My friend has the regular ones for 7 Wonders and had lots of problems, but after seeing mine, he fully upgraded to the premium and neither of us has had any issue with them.

In this game there is a lot less shuffling than 7 Wonders so the regular ones might be okay, but its not that much more to upgrade, and if you don't have 7 Wonders, you don't need the extra cards you get with the standard ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kapu Kapu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Wayn0rX wrote:
The problem is they are large and don't fit that snug (at least with 7 Wonders). If you riffle shuffle a lot, it wears them quite a bit, much more so than say with the standard size sleeves. The thick ones are much more snug and don't seem to wear at all.

My friend has the regular ones for 7 Wonders and had lots of problems, but after seeing mine, he fully upgraded to the premium and neither of us has had any issue with them.

In this game there is a lot less shuffling than 7 Wonders so the regular ones might be okay, but its not that much more to upgrade, and if you don't have 7 Wonders, you don't need the extra cards you get with the standard ones.

I can confirm that, after ~40 plays i had three ripped "Mayday Magnum"-sleeves. There is a lot of cards shuffling in this game. Therefore i would definitely recommend to buy thicker sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, this is very annoying. Sleeving this will cost more than the actual game. That puts me in a dilemma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
Hmm, this is very annoying. Sleeving this will cost more than the actual game. That puts me in a dilemma.
Just pick up 7 Wonders too. It's a fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Jools wrote:
Just pick up 7 Wonders too. It's a fun game!

There is no problem that can't be solved by buying more games!

I love 7 Wonders, so I was happy to find my spare sleeves fitted this so well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got my set today. At first examination, the card quality seemed ok. Do they really start degrading after a few plays?

I was also surprised by the size... They missed fitting sideways in the box by a couple of millimeters, which was weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
I finally got my set today. At first examination, the card quality seemed ok. Do they really start degrading after a few plays?

I was also surprised by the size... They missed fitting sideways in the box by a couple of millimeters, which was weird.

I just opened up my copy and was sad that the cards just missed fitting in sideways. It would have made a much better fit for accommodating all these coins! As it is, my box is hard to get shut properly if I want to keep the coins in their bag. At first glance the cards seemed pretty good, but a little flimsy for me. I was not sure if I would sleeve them, but reading here makes me think I should, especially since cards will be handled frequently. Even though the KS image shows it white, I really wish the back was a different color. I still like the Eve Online art on the fronts!! My only real complaint other than the back colors would fall under: The coins although great quality seem to be sadly off center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
MrMT wrote:

I just opened up my copy and was sad that the cards just missed fitting in sideways. It would have made a much better fit for accommodating all these coins! As it is, my box is hard to get shut properly if I want to keep the coins in their bag. At first glance the cards seemed pretty good, but a little flimsy for me. I was not sure if I would sleeve them, but reading here makes me think I should, especially since cards will be handled frequently. Even though the KS image shows it white, I really wish the back was a different color. I still like the Eve Online art on the fronts!! My only real complaint other than the back colors would fall under: The coins although great quality seem to be sadly off center.

White on the back is better, I think... Colour on edges less likely to scuff and leave telltale signs.

Re sleeves... Hmm. 7 wonders are a surprising choice of size, but no biggie. I am still on the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
david_parrott wrote:
Logan8 wrote:

I'm glad it's not just me having this problem.

Me too. I decided to take all the coins out of the bag and now everything seems to fit OK... although with the extra cards and now that they are all sleeved (Mayday 7 Wonders Premium sleeves - perfect fit btw) it is a very snug fit in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
MrMT wrote:

Yes I thought this was very weird too. Makes no sense to me that Travis would not have taken this into account when designing the components?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules/aid cards on the bottom, sleeved cards stacked, and the coins fit beautifully in a tubular row beside the cards, almost exactly the same length as the cards. Add a rectangular bit of foam to fill the space, and everything fits perfectly!

Even space for a P&P Resistance: Coup - Reformation whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.