Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I have two quick rules questions;I think I know the answers since I'm on here a lot but I figured I'd check anyway.

1. A base and action are in direct conflict. Whichever says you can't do something wins out, right? (This is actually a Cthulhu question but I didn't want to post in both expansion forums)

2. Leprechaun vs. Weed Eater? Leprechaun says resolve ability first, so weed eater becomes a power three and would be destroyed, right? I know normally playing a power is before the ability (such as war raptor plays as a two), but this specifcally says to do ability first. So in reverse, If I play a Haunting and it's ability takes it to 6, it survives right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
posterchild21 wrote:
Hey I have two quick rules questions;I think I know the answers since I'm on here a lot but I figured I'd check anyway.

1. A base and action are in direct conflict. Whichever says you can't do something wins out, right? (This is actually a Cthulhu question but I didn't want to post in both expansion forums)

2. Leprechaun vs. Weed Eater? Leprechaun says resolve ability first, so weed eater becomes a power three and would be destroyed, right? I know normally playing a power is before the ability (such as war raptor plays as a two), but this specifcally says to do ability first. So in reverse, If I play a Haunting and it's ability takes it to 6, it survives right?

Thanks!

1. "If cards conflict, the one that says you can't do something beats the one that says you can." - Smash Up Rulebook, page 9.

2. Weed Eater will always go on a base with -2 power the turn it is played. Not sure I understand the second part of your question, but there is no chance for you to play Haunting on Weed Eater (or any minion, for that matter) before Leprechaun's ability resolves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:

2. Weed Eater will always go on a base with -2 power the turn it is played. Not sure I understand the second part of your question, but there is no chance for you to play Haunting on Weed Eater (or any minion, for that matter) before Leprechaun's ability resolves.

Haunting is a minion, not an action. A weed eater is not a power 3 when played; it is a 5. Many forums have said for playing purpose you always use the power on the card (So if you kill a sprout, you can't play weed eater because it is 5, not 3).

What I am asking is does the leprechaun ignore this normal rule; does the ability text mean playing power goes by actual power for purpose of the lerprechaun?

Essentially, does the Haunting survive and Weed eater die (opposite of normal rule), or does the Weed eater survive and the haunting die(typical play rule)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Weed-Eater dies and Haunting lives (as long as his power does kick in when you play him).

There's an official ruling on this which I'll try to find later.

**EDIT**
Found it
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10488884#10488884

The real issue here is the nature of the word "after." Although I don't have an official ruling on it I always treat "after" to mean the ability happens after whatever triggers it and all other relevant abilities happen first. Leprechaun is nice cause it explicitly tells you this but other abilities don't make this distinction but until I see a ruling to contradict this I always treat "after" to mean it must defer priority to all non-after abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Weed-Eater dies and Haunting lives (as long as his power does kick in when you play him).

There's an official ruling on this which I'll try to find later.

**EDIT**
Found it
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10488884#10488884

The real issue here is the nature of the word "after." Although I don't have an official ruling on it I always treat "after" to mean the ability happens after whatever triggers it and all other relevant abilities happen first. Leprechaun is nice cause it explicitly tells you this but other abilities don't make this distinction but until I see a ruling to contradict this I always treat "after" to mean it must defer priority to all non-after abilities.

Thanks J you are the best! We told him he can't place weed eater without dying so we did it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.