Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the gavel auction to be somewhat disruptive to the flow of the game. Everything else is done in turn order, starting with the active player: taking dice, and the bag auction. Then we have a real-time, hidden-bid auction, which almost seems like part of a different game altogether.

Is there some reason I'm missing that you can't have a normal auction for the gavel? We've been playing that way for several games, and it seems to work fine.

-Active player starts the bidding (or passes)
-Minimum bid 1 gold, no maximum bid
-Once a player passes, they can no longer bid
-When all players except one have passed, the remaining player pays their bid and uses all the dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one thing that is missing from your method is that in the event of a tie for money bid, NO ONE gets to use the dice. This happens quite a bit in our games. I really like the decision making of wanting to win the auction but not spend too much money on it (what is the largest amount the other players are likely to bid, and bid 1 more than that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that is an excellent point. I wonder if just giving everyone 10 seconds to put their bid in their right hand under the table would be an adequate substitute. The two things that really bother me about the gavel auction are 1) piling cards on top of each other instead of just a one-time bid and 2) not having a clearly defined end of the auction (start counting when no one has placed a card)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has never really had an issue with the auctions taking too long. Normally, once people stop laying cards, we do a "Going, Going, gone" and the bids are revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I just didn't give my group time to get used to the normal way of doing things. I'll give it another try. Thanks for your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Maybe I just didn't give my group time to get used to the normal way of doing things. I'll give it another try. Thanks for your feedback!

Sorry to necro this, but I didn't want to start a new thread when this one was here.

I just got the game yesterday and played it twice with my family already (4p). I was also thinking of making the gavel auctions turn-wise. However, I was also thinking of getting rid of the cards altogether and just going to poker chips.

It's only two games, but it seems that which cards (denominations) you take is a part of the strategy. I read Dr. Finn said he didn't intend this, so I'm wondering if we just went to open money with chips in a regular auction would change the game too much or make it unplayable.

I've got limited shots to get games to the table and I'd rather not gather the family again for this if there is something I am overlooking.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing with the simultaneous auction since I last posted. It's much better than turn-wise. However, we don't do any of that 'play cards face down in front of you' nonsense. The number of cards you play is almost completely meaningless, since the denominations are what matter. We simply give everyone ~5 seconds to put their bid (this is done under the game table) in their right hand (left hand holds on to the rest of the money) and reveal bids simultaneously. Denominations don't come in to play at all that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Denominations don't come in to play at all that way.

How about increments?

I guess that is what I think I am missing, but it might just not be that type of game.

In other words, it seems universally better to have five "1" cards than one "5" card. You have more choices, at least it seems after only 2 plays.

So, either the denominations you pick up matter, which makes it a bit of strategy or they don't, which is why I was thinking about just going to a total open auction.

I think there is something I don't get about it or I am trying to make it something it isn't.

There were several times when I wanted to bid an increment I couldn't because I didn't have the cards. Had I just taken different cards when I got gold, I would have.

I'll try it with open bidding and see which way the family prefers.

Thanks for your response,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you.

As for increments, in the games I've played, the bids typically range from 5 to 12 gold. I think that if all the players take a reasonable distribution of money during the game (make sure you have a couple 1s and 2s all the time), you won't run into a increment problem. If someone is intentionally taking all the 1s as a strategy to hurt other players' bidding, I don't think that's in the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If someone is intentionally taking all the 1s as a strategy to hurt other players' bidding, I don't think that's in the spirit of the game.

My son does this...he took Portraits in base Fresco also and wrecked us.

Thing is, I can't come up with a reason he can't in this one.

Normally, I'm a "spirit" kind of guy, but here I can't divorce picking denominations from playing to win.

It's not liking taking all the 1's in Monopoly to just get under your skin...those 1's will have import in the actual bidding here.

The auctions seem entirely based on the options of cards you've given yourself.

For example, in Fist of Dragonstones, the blind bid is all with the same denomination of coin....five coins is five coins.

In this, choosing cards seems paramount in how you do.

I'll have to play it more, obviously, and I will. I love Biblios and this one seems like a ton of fun.

I'm just having a disconnect between the designer saying picking cards isn't part of the intended strategy and then having a hand of cards that handicaps me come the auction.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.