Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you combine some enemies to block... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are attacking say, Volkare and his 500 million units.... Can you combine some enemies to block together and not others.
IE, if there are two enemies that have a physical attack of 4 and one with 3. Can you block them together by forming a block of 7, and then deal with other units by themselves or combining certain other ones.

Or is this a, block each one individually, or combine them all so they all have every other ones abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
If you are attacking say, Volkare and his 500 million units.... Can you combine some enemies to block together and not others.
IE, if there are two enemies that have a physical attack of 4 and one with 3. Can you block them together by forming a block of 7, and then deal with other units by themselves or combining certain other ones.

Or is this a, block each one individually, or combine them all so they all have every other ones abilities?

Nope. You can't use one source of Block against multiple attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn i read somewhere you could combine all the enemies into one big enemy, and you just had to combine all their special abilities into it also. I wonder what I am thinking of......damn it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook page 8, "Any enemies you wish to block are resolved individually; you cannot block multiple enemies at once."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
Rulebook page 8, "Any enemies you wish to block are resolved individually; you cannot block multiple enemies at once."

I feel like I have been struck down by the King of Mage Knight now....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
I could have sworn i read somewhere you could combine all the enemies into one big enemy, and you just had to combine all their special abilities into it also. I wonder what I am thinking of......damn it all.

You can ATTACK (in ranged/siege and in melee attack) multiple enemies at once. So this is most likely what you are thinking of
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

You can ATTACK (in ranged/siege and in melee attack) multiple enemies at once. So this is most likely what you are thinking of

So if there are two, and one has elusiveness, does that mean that the elusiveness is only on that enemy? Or does it carry over to both? So if you make 20 seige attack damage, you can just start assigning to whatever enemy you want, and then carry it over to other enemies? IE, if you have a card that makes attack 6, can you assign 3 of that SINGLE card to one enemy and 3 of the damage to a different one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

You can combine them in case of Attack (both Melee and Range).

I think that where it lead you to misunderstanding. : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
So if there are two, and one has elusiveness, does that mean that the elusiveness is only on that enemy? Or does it carry over to both? So if you make 20 seige attack damage, you can just start assigning to whatever enemy you want, and then carry it over to other enemies? IE, if you have a card that makes attack 6, can you assign 3 of that SINGLE card to one enemy and 3 of the damage to a different one?

...What is Elusiveness??

Basically if you choose to attack multiple enemies at once, then if one of them have fortification or any resistance then all of them also have it. : D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pcichigo wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

...What is Elusiveness??

Basically if you choose to attack multiple enemies at once, then if one of them have fortification or any resistance then all of them also have it. : D

Elusive is where they have the lighter armor rating in addition to normal armor rating. The higher number, (THE LIGHTER) is used during siege and ranged, making it harder to kill them in those phases.

So to use on SINGLE CARD to attack multiple enemies, you have to group them together and they share their traits. I CAN NOT produce 6 siege attack with a single card and just assign that out to whatever I want, without combining their abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Elusiveness is not shared between enemies.

Before you play any attack cards, you declare which enemies you're grouping. Those enemies share fortifications and resistances.

If you now play enough points of Attack, in this one attack, to equal their total Armor, then both/all of the grouped enemies are knocked out. Because they share resistances and fortifications, you don't have to worry about assigning specific parts of the attack to specific enemies within the group.

Either you can use Ranged Attack against them (because none of them is fortified) or you can't (because at least one is fortified, so they all get the protection.

Either Fire Attack is fully efficient against the group (because none of them has Fire Resist) or it's only half strength (because at least one has Fire Resist, so they all get it).

So if you face Orc Trackers (with Elusive, Armor is 3/6) and a Gargoyle (Physical Resist, Armor 4), and you want to group them together during the ranged attack phase, then you're basically facing one enemy with armor 10 (the Trackers count for 6, because their Elusive ability is active for them, and the Gargoyle is 4) and Physical Resist.

You could defeat both enemies with, for example, Siege Ice Attack 8 and Ranged Attack 4. The Ice is fully efficient, and the (physical) Ranged Attack is resisted so it only counts for 2 points. You don't get to say "I put four points of Ice Attack on the Gargoyle and the other four on the Trackers, and then play two more points of Ranged Attack on the Trackers"-- once you group enemies, to combine the attacks, they're all one big ball of enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Elusive is where they have the lighter armor rating in addition to normal armor rating. The higher number, (THE LIGHTER) is used during siege and ranged, making it harder to kill them in those phases.

So to use on SINGLE CARD to attack multiple enemies, you have to group them together and they share their traits. I CAN NOT produce 6 siege attack with a single card and just assign that out to whatever I want, without combining their abilities.

That start to sound a little familiar...Elusive is in expansion right??
That may be why I can't remember much. lol

You can use more than one card to attack them as a group. : )
The rule book also recommend that you may kill one of them that have fortification or resistance first to make it also easy for later.

Let's say 3 Orcs, one of them have fortification. So you used you siege attack on him first, then the last two together and use range attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Before you play any attack cards, you declare which enemies you're grouping. Those enemies share fortifications and resistances.

If you now play enough points of Attack, in this one attack, to equal their total Armor, then both/all of the grouped enemies are knocked out. Because they share resistances and fortifications, you don't have to worry about assigning specific parts of the attack to specific enemies within the group.

Either you can use Ranged Attack against them (because none of them is fortified) or you can't (because at least one is fortified, so they all get the protection.

Either Fire Attack is fully efficient against the group (because none of them has Fire Resist) or it's only half strength (because at least one has Fire Resist, so they all get it).

So if you face Orc Trackers (with Elusive, Armor is 3/6) and a Gargoyle (Physical Resist, Armor 4), and you want to group them together during the ranged attack phase, then you're basically facing one enemy with armor 10 (the Trackers count for 6, because their Elusive ability is active for them, and the Gargoyle is 4) and Physical Resist.

You could defeat both enemies with, for example, Siege Ice Attack 8 and Ranged Attack 4. The Ice is fully efficient, and the (physical) Ranged Attack is resisted so it only counts for 2 points. You don't get to say "I put four points of Ice Attack on the Gargoyle and the other four on the Trackers, and then play two more points of Ranged Attack on the Trackers"-- once you group enemies, to combine the attacks, they're all one big ball of enemy.

Thanks, and just to be absolutely clear on one last point. I asked a similar question to blocking, but I don't know if this applies to attacking. In your example if I produce enough to kill both, and I have say, 2 attack points left over, that attack is WASTED, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is wasted. : )

Even if there is 3rd enemy and it has more than 2 Armor. The damage that does not kill it, is also wasted.

Stated on rulebook page 8, Ranged and Siege attack Phase, bullet 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
pcichigo wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

...What is Elusiveness??

It's from the Lost Legion expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pcichigo wrote:
Yes, it is wasted. : )

Even if there is 3rd enemy and it has more than 2 Armor. The damage that does not kill it, is also wasted.

Stated on rulebook page 8, Ranged and Siege attack Phase, bullet 5.

Ok, it is wasted. By the way, Ranged and siege attack is on page 7 and bullet 5 is about if you don't do enough damage to kill it, either play more or cancel the attack.
Thanks for the help all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Oh crap, I've been playing this completely wrong. All my wins are null!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
once you group enemies, to combine the attacks, they're all one big ball of enemy.

I'm going to have to borrow that phrase. I love the mental image!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Thanks, and just to be absolutely clear on one last point. I asked a similar question to blocking, but I don't know if this applies to attacking. In your example if I produce enough to kill both, and I have say, 2 attack points left over, that attack is WASTED, correct?

Correct.

When I realize I have attack left over, I usually end up trying to figure out whether I can get through more cheaply-- if I'm over by 2, quite often I can go without powering a card that I thought I needed to spend mana on. Or I can add a third enemy to the group, and pour even more attack into it, and have that work out. But wasted points still happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.