Popular Tags: [View All]
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need another game.

Let's be honest here. You have games you enjoy playing, so go and play them. You bought them precisely because they are replayable, right, so go and replay the hell out of them. Another similar game to those you have, you don't exactly need.

Sure, you wants it, you desires it, you ogles it, but need ain't exactly the right word. You wallet will be happy by your impulse control and keeping those consumer instincts in check. Your family and close relatives will be proud of you and that means something, right?

What you need, friend, is: inhale, exhale & relax.
Now take a look at your gaming shelf, see that game you love, but have neglected - doesn't it want to hang out with you? Isn't it a time to call your friends and schedule a session?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was expecting "Do some research. Don't make us do the hard work for you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, did you mean we need to go and buy some games? What a great reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a newb, I have to keep reminding my self - don't be a collector! Ideally, I'd like to just get one, maybe 2 games across several 'genres' or 'types'. Then just trade out when the fun wears off or something new/different comes along to replace it. maintain maybe 15-25 games or so.

but, it's difficult. I have read about so many games i 'want' (but don't really 'need'). really, I don't have a lot of play opportunities so, the games DO sit around unused a lot. It's a shame really....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure nobody believes they 'need' a new game. It's about wanting a new game, and if you are going to criticize people for wanting games, then what defence do you have from them criticizing your 'want' to criticize? Yeah? Thumbs down for OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qiagen wrote:
It genuinely took me a few minutes to realize that 'wallet' had been autocorrected to 'valet'

Oh yeah, thanks. Though both valet and wallet will be pleased. laugh

@ Ristora and other new users.
We've seen more recommendation threads than uhm, we've seen a lot, probably much too many. And we need to inhale, exhale and relax - that's the object of this thread. You'll understand it in a couple of years time. In the meanwhile enjoy your new shopping obsession uhm, hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you even looked at what my posts in the recommendation forums are for? They are looking for game for friends and free print and play. The reason why I replied to this thread is specifically the attitude that 'everyone' asking for recommendations, and apparently new users, are some kind of raging consumerist gluttons.

And another thing: why not just make a nice post reminding people not to neglect the games they already have instead of getting caught up in the desire to have new games rather than portraying yourself as some kind of remarkably level headed individual for whom buying new games is 'so passez'. I just think you went about this thread all wrong.4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is horrible advice!

edit: Although I do agree...just ONE more purchase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Ristora
You misunderstand. We older users also bought much too many games we don't need. I'm reading over the OP over and over myself.
"Samo, you don't need another game, relax, relax, dammit, inhale, exhale, exhale I said, breathe, now chill. You have games already, unplayed ones even, it will be okay, you calm now?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
sgosaric wrote:

Chastising people for not spending more time with the games they already own seems a bit presumptuous. Unless one makes their living from games, this is a hobby. What does "need" have to do with anything? I think it is pretty apparent in the context of BGG that when people say "need" what they really mean is "want."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. Well, maybe including yourself as the target audience in your OP would be helpful so you don't alienate a large segment of the community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
sgosaric wrote:

Chastising people for not spending more time with the games they already own seems a bit presumptuous. Unless one makes their living from games, this is a hobby. What does "need" have to do with anything? I think it is pretty apparent in the context of BGG that when people say "need" what they really mean is "want."

I don't think he's chastising anyone, just offering an alternative perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they should pin a post in the recommendations forum that just says, "Let's be honest, you don't need any of these things you are asking for, so ......"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
@ Ristora
You misunderstand. We older users also bought much too many games we don't need. [/i]

Please refrain from speaking in the name of other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carlson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry - didn't read any of this. Too busy salivating over OMG ESSEN RELEASES NEED NEED SHUTTUP AND TAKE MAH MONIES!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiong ie
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But.. but... It's a compulsive disorder...

Haha, I like to think that if I had a wide variety of different genre of games (that I like) then I can pull them out and play them anytime with any sort of people I want, but yea, you are right, I don't need another game. .__.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Impulse restraint is for quitters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few games and see myself as a "global patriot," doing my best to keep games publishers in business.

It seems to be working so far.

To those publishers - you're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice...now I NEED more expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. Meanwhile, I will be happy to provide straight answers to straight requests for recommendations to anyone under the good-faith assumption that the requester knows what he is doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
I think it is pretty apparent in the context of BGG that when people say "need" what they really mean is "want."

Not just on BGG, but everywhere in life people leave off the implied conditional inherent in a "need" statement. The way people use the word need conveys a lack of options to do otherwise, but there are always other choices even if those are undesirable/unacceptable, they are still possible choices.

You don't NEED to pay your rent. You WANT to pay your rent in order to continue living where you live.
You don't NEED to have a job, you WANT to have a job in order to maintain a comfortable lifestyle.
Even in the extreme cases you can argue; you don't NEED to eat, breathe and sleep. You WANT to do those things in order to stay alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Alexandria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I NEED 2 more VP to win.
I also NEED access to to a game to be able to play it.

Needs don't have to be life or death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
esirof wrote:
I think it is pretty apparent in the context of BGG that when people say "need" what they really mean is "want."

You don't NEED to pay your rent. You WANT to pay your rent in order to continue living where you live.
You don't NEED to have a job, you WANT to have a job in order to maintain a comfortable lifestyle.
Even in the extreme cases you can argue; you don't NEED to eat, breathe and sleep. You WANT to do those things in order to stay alive.

Language debate! Horray!

I agree that people use need incorrectly however your breakdown of the word 'need' leaves it an unusable concept for most situations. If we can't say 'we need to breath' and say something that doesn't reduce to something else, then what good is the word? 'Need' statements like "We need to breath' when unpacked are conditionals. The consequent of the packed conditional here is we need to breathe 'or else we will die'. If we don't allow people to have packed meaning in the need statements, then it is never possible to use a need statement without being overly explicit. Language rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Maybe they should pin a post in the recommendations forum that just says, "Let's be honest, you don't need any of these things you are asking for, so ......"

These things are tricky. I respect when somebody asks for games outside of their usually parameters ("what's missing in my game collection"), I'm totally for going into unknown. My OP was more aimed at those questions like "I have 20 worker placements, do I need these 5 as well" to which I'd say no, you don't need them. I mean, go ahead and buy them, but you don't really need them.

I see some people got a bit angry and upset and that's good as the intent of this thread is to step outside ourselves for a moment. And people usually don't want that. laugh

Speaking about my shopping habits, the thing that bothers me personally is when I love a certain game and then a new game comes out and everybody says it's like that game I love, but better. It's as I can't enjoy in that game as much as before. And do I now need the new game? Do I need it just to check if it's good? Can I be objective about it or will I just say it sucks if I don't like buying a lot of new games?

I recommend checking this video: Barry Schwartz: The Paradox of choice
It's about that precisely because we're given so much choice, so many games, we're always anxious and afraid that even though we bough great stuff, stuff that we like, maybe we didn't buy the best one and it's still out there. It's this anxiety that I think something guides us: "maybe I'm missing on something great".

I'm not really talking about whether or not anybody should buy these games (go ahead), it's about whether we actually need them. As it was said - it's about compulsive disorder.

I'm more terrible in a tea shop. I can't leave without buying at least one tea (they tend to be cheaper than games though, not all of them though).
"Samo, you have better teas than these at home"
"uhm, that one is nice"
"can you afford it"
"uhm, no"
"okay, let's go"
"uhm, maybe I can just take some small tea, maybe herbal, it's just 2 euros"
"sigh"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.