Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but I came up with a variant where you can stack tiles on top of each other. It makes for some interesting strategy!

Variant Rules:
1. A tile can be placed ON TOP of an existing laid tile, as long as:
(a) There are no meeples already on that tile;
(b) All edges connecting to existing adjacent tiles still match.
2. A meeple can be deployed to that tile providing it is not deployed to an already-complete feature. Completing an incomplete feature by placing the tile and then placing a meeple on that feature to score it is allowed though.
3. Tiles can be stacked on top of already-stacked tiles. No limit to how many can be stacked on top of each other.

Strategy tips:
- Merge two cities together to expand your city considerably with just one tile!
- Split cities into two to gain extra points for farmers!
- Block off other players from stealing your feature by breaking the road/city up!

Some example images from a test play (end of game state, using just base game tiles, after final scoring):

Full game "board", stacking fairly visible:

Close-up of some of the stacked tiles, one at 3-tiles deep.

Comments / suggestions for rules improvements welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting!

Any comment on how players feel after playing like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it with one other person (the guy I usually play Carc against, and we play it majorly cut-throat). Seemed to go down well. Being able to split a city in two to gain extra farm points, or to block a city takeover attempt, was especially useful.

Stacking didn't happen all the time, which you might think would happen (it may happen if you add a lot of expansion tiles in though I guess); it was only occasionally, but it does allow you to (and make you) re-evaluate the existing layout and not always have to build off what's left around the "board" edge. That in itself changes the way you usually think/plan in basic Carc, where once features are complete, they're really only useful for farming (cities for points, roads to close off farms). Being able to stack changes this, as you can potentially break road barriers, re-open cities for new scoring, split cities or merge cities to screw with farm scores, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Ok, so two complete cities are merged into one by the stacked tile. Can you score the one big city?

Same question with one complete city and one incomplete -- if the stacked tile turns the two into one do you score the whole thing?

Same question could apply to roads as well I suppose.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say if you merge two cities and one is already complete, that's fine. A grey area though, hence why I'm interested in these thoughts. Is it worth just saying completed features can be re-completed immediately by placing tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Or maybe the opposite -- make the rule "no space can be scored for the same feature" maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, thinking about it, if you're adding a new tile which joins two previously completed features, that would be fine. The rule I added about not putting a meeple on a stacked tile that re-completes an existing feature was really to prevent just stacking a single tile to get a massive score for very little work. I think joining two [completed] cities is something different - you're changing the landscape. So I think that would be allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is pretty interesting. There's good game here if you can work out the details.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sagrilarus. I'll playtest it some more and try to tighten up the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Spears
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
OverText intentionally left blank.
badge
Reach in to find out!
mbmbmbmb
One thing that could save some crazy rules: If a player stacks, they'd skip their meeple placement.

My other thought is that this seems like the Builder would really love this variant a bit too much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more thoughts on this?
"stacking" looks to be some interesting design space that hasn't been explored much yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not tried my variant for some time now. But I do note that the Hills & Sheep expansion uses the concept of stacked tiles, though only slightly. It's certainly worth more investigation I think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.