Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Pitzer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

We just got our copy of Superfight! and we're excited to play.

My wife and I were talking about the rules and the best way to play. I've been thinking since it was announced that there would be only one attribute deck rather than one positive and one negative. The change makes sense since some attributes could go either way.

We were concerned about the basic rules because since all the attributes are dealt randomly, you lose a sense of agency. It will happen that you get funny combinations but you won't feel like you made them happen.

We were equally concerned about the advanced rules where you have 3 white cards and 5 attribute cards. This setup kind of behooves you to not use the negative cards and then just dump them. There's an option for this to dump your hand by losing one of your victory cards but this means you won't have the funny negative cards.

So here's our plan. You get 3 white and 5 black cards or however many, it's not as important. After the random enemy is created by the judge, each player plays one white and one black card. Then the judge chooses left or right and each player is allowed to play one black card on the player in that direction.

This will do a couple of things. It will mean that positive and negative cards are both valuable since you want to play positive ones on you and negative ones on the other players. It will also make for funny contradictions as players try to disable others' heroes. Also, nothing is stopping you from playing positive cards on other players if you think it will be extra funny.

What do people think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra Nuite
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really like this idea. It adds a little competition and could help produce some really funny combinations. Some groups might even make this a real time even; the first player to add a black card has his card stay. You could even let everyone play one black card each with no limit to the number on each white card. This would force you to decide whether or not you should buff your guy or nerf your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Finamore
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EclecticGamer wrote:
We were concerned about the basic rules because since all the attributes are dealt randomly, you lose a sense of agency. It will happen that you get funny combinations but you won't feel like you made them happen.

Agreed, we played with 3 character and 5 attribute cards as the basic setup just seemed too random.

EclecticGamer wrote:
We were equally concerned about the advanced rules where you have 3 white cards and 5 attribute cards. This setup kind of behooves you to not use the negative cards and then just dump them. There's an option for this to dump your hand by losing one of your victory cards but this means you won't have the funny negative cards.

We ran into this issue on a play with 9 people. We were only playing to 3 victories so victory cards were valuable such that no one wanted to burn a card to dump their hand. Players ended up getting a build up of negative cards in their hands and had to waste rounds burning two negative cards at a time.

EclecticGamer wrote:
So here's our plan. You get 3 white and 5 black cards or however many, it's not as important. After the random enemy is created by the judge, each player plays one white and one black card. Then the judge chooses left or right and each player is allowed to play one black card on the player in that direction.

This will do a couple of things. It will mean that positive and negative cards are both valuable since you want to play positive ones on you and negative ones on the other players. It will also make for funny contradictions as players try to disable others' heroes. Also, nothing is stopping you from playing positive cards on other players if you think it will be extra funny.

This is a brilliant variant as it resolves the issue with the negative cards. I would also increase hand size to maybe 5 characters and 7-10 attributes to allow for better combinations. You could try some tweaks with this as well, such as playing hero cards face up or face down, letting the player to right/left play their attribute card first, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the last player skip-over the Ref and play his black card on the 'first' player of the 'special' round?

Also, how about everyone Except the Ref plays their hero face up, then everyone has the 'special round' where you play neg. cards, THEN each player plays a power card. Might make for a coupla extra "Ah HAH!" moments.

seems fun, I haven't played yet (was given the game for father's Day) and just looking around for ideas. I like the variants I'm seeing.

good thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.