Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
It just dawned on me that we have 6 HP inkjet printers in the building, and they use 6 different types of ink cartridges.

Still don't understand that. Even if it were among one manufacturer that would be a step in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait until you need a 7th printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how design engineers keep themselves employed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XKCD said it best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the purpose of cartridge yield measure, almost all printer manufacturers base their ink/toner cartridge yields on 5% coverage. This means only 5% of the whole page is covered with ink or toner. 5% coverage implies basic type with no bold characters, no graphics and no pictures.

CMYK toners for color laser printers and copiers base their cartridge yields on 20% to 35% coverage (6% to 7% per color). In reality, if a document had 100% fill, there would be 400% coverage. Tri-color inkjet/toner cartridges base their page yield on 15% coverage (5% per color).

NOTE: The first 2 paragraphs in this post represent 5% coverage on a letter size piece of paper.

The reality is an average black ink only business document is 12% coverage. Thus you usually get about half the number of pages as advertised on the cartridge box.

As a 20+ year veteran of the copier / printer industry, I think inkjet printers have no place in a business environment except in special applications like wide format plotters or graphic arts printing. Never as an office printer. But ink jet printers are cheap. However they are also the least efficient and least cost effective over the long haul. Your company needs to ditch them and move to six identical laser and toner based units. Put them on a cost per impression agreement so toner and service is included and you'll save money over the life of the units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in a place where we print paychecks. This man speaks the truth. Cost per page is the real number to go by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
The ink is already standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
We do have a couple black and white laser printers, and we don't do a lot of color printing anyway. Personally, I don't think we need more than one color printer. But we have six.

From my experience: Manager A didn't want to walk 20 feet to the shared printer and insisted on one outside their office - you know, for the convenience of his staff. Manager B, not to be outdone, wanted the same.
Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

But yes, it would be awesome if a cartridge for an HP desktop inkjet printer was a cartridge for any HP desktop inkjet printer. At least within a particular range of models. I also have approximately one crapload of unused ink cartridges for printers that have pooped out over the years, and were replaced by models that didn't take the same number.

Sounds kind of commie to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
One answer, one question.

Answer: There are so many HP ink cartridges because they change the design regularly so people will buy new printers. Since stores only have so much room for HP cartridges, they carry only those for the last few years of printers. Refilling may be an option, but not if you print rarely and dry out your cartridges instead of emptying them.

Question: Has laser (or LED) printer color quality gotten up the the quality of inkjets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Oo. I just found a seventh HP that I didn't know about! Sitting in a corner of someone's office, not currently hooked up.

You guessed it -- yet another type of ink cartridge. shake

You want an eighth? Cheap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The quality varies widely, too. I know which one to use if I need a print with good vibrant color, and I know which one to use if I'm going for the "everything looks muddy and brown" look.

But yes, it would be awesome if a cartridge for an HP desktop inkjet printer was a cartridge for any HP desktop inkjet printer. At least within a particular range of models. I also have approximately one crapload of unused ink cartridges for printers that have pooped out over the years, and were replaced by models that didn't take the same number.

Anyone need 564s? shake

That's what my home printer uses. Geekmail me a price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:

That's what my home printer uses. Geekmail me a price.

You don't take em I will. I use a black xl every 2 weeks printing just ebay shipping labels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer carbon paper and grid paper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Question: Has laser (or LED) printer color quality gotten up the the quality of inkjets?

Absolutely yes for 98% of all business, personal and commercial applications. Of course, it depends what kind of image you want to print and onto what kind of media.

Generally, HP color printers that people buy still fall into the "business color" category. But there are graphic arts quality laser copier/printers in the marketplace. The latest generation of Sharp laser MFPs are Pantone certified. Xerox Phaser printers produce outstandingly vibrant colors with wax based ink.

The only ink jet products we mess with are HP or Canon ink jet plotters and Seiko Ink Jet printers that print onto rolled media like paper, canvas or vinyl up to 64" wide. One of our customers prints car wraps on vinyl with one.

All that said, it still depends on your application. What do you want to print and what do you want to print onto?

Sidebar: I've not had a printer at home since the mid-nineties but I've had free and nearly unlimited access to some pretty high end gear in the various showrooms of places I've worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give me a good ol' mimeograph any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

Generally, HP color printers that people buy still fall into the "business color" category. But there are graphic arts quality laser copier/printers in the marketplace. The latest generation of Sharp laser MFPs are Pantone certified. Xerox Phaser printers produce outstandingly vibrant colors with wax based ink.

The biggest thing I'm looking for is a printer that doesn't end up costing $15-$30 a page because I go for months without printing, and then just need a single page. I don't need photographic quality: I'd probably send photos out, anyway; if it's worth printing, it's probably worth printing bigger than letter size. But "business color" can be pretty bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
Give me a good ol' mimeograph any day.

Oh yeah: The purple ink, the faint smell of industrial solvents, and the cool touch of the still-drying paper.

On the other hand, as the photo suggests, that was back when a salad fork was high technology and 4 was advanced mathematics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Oo. I just found a seventh HP that I didn't know about! Sitting in a corner of someone's office, not currently hooked up.

You guessed it -- yet another type of ink cartridge. shake

You want an eighth? Cheap!

You know how you only need 23 people to have a 50% chance that two of them share birthday dates?

That never applies to ink cartriges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently printer ink is the 4th most expensive liquid in the world after scorpion venom, Channel perfume and Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.