Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Douglas
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can I impose specific restrictions on my alliance invitation? For example can I say I will accept alliances only if you are willing to commit 4 ships to the encounter. As an attacker, I don;t like the ally that only brings one ship to the encounter and was wondering if a restriction like this was allowed. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
You can say anything you want, deals are not binding in Cosmic Encounter. Then the alliance player is free to do whatever he wants, including go back on his word...

Player A: "I only want allies who are willing to commit 4 ships."

Player B: "Sure I will do that if you invite me."

Player A: "Okay, I invite Player B as a ally"

Player B, Laughs, then places 1 ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure you cannot set a limit, but there is nothing to stop ou from saying you want full support if they join and then cut them out from further alliances if they don't send enough. You can say, send 4 or I won't ever invite you, but I think as a game rule you may only invite, then persuade, but you cannot take back an invitation and if they only send 1 ship you could just rage lose to teach them a lesson!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lobotnik wrote:
you could just rage lose to teach them a lesson!

Forgot about that. When teaching new players, I like to open with convincing everyone to ally with me for all the wonderful benefits. Then throw the combat and send them all to the warp. It's a great opening lesson. I usually lose after that due to no one making an alliance with me unless there is absolute need, but it's worth it. Newbies tend to ally too frequently for their own good, so you have to burn them early to get the game started properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Douglas
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If invitations can't be rescinded I guess it makes sense. Thanks for the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
deals are not binding in Cosmic Encounter.

This is not correct. Deals are binding in Cosmic Encounter, but what we are talking about here is not a deal (it's basically just table-talk).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
CyberGarp wrote:
deals are not binding in Cosmic Encounter.

This is not correct. Deals are binding in Cosmic Encounter, but what we are talking about here is not a deal (it's basically just table-talk).

Yes, the Cosmic Encounter official "deal" is binding when both player use a negotiate card. I should be more precise in my language. I was using the word "deal" in a looser sense, as in any table talk agreement reached between players, which is not binding.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/998668/table-talk-question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.