D. Anthony Robinson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is positive news. It's been clear that Mongoose has been juggling too many plates, so shifting the load of the work on the rules elsewhere is probably a good idea. Most importantly, fixing the rules is something that desperately needs to be done, and something Mongoose seems to have been very reluctant to change.

Mainly, though, I'm just glad to hear more 2500s will be produced. I didn't collect SFB 2400 models, but did grab some 2500s, and while I mainly plan to use SFB rules, I don't want to mix in the two different scales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the news would be...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went to the Mongoose Publishing site and they don't even have their Call to Arms: Star Fleet line on there anymore. Did they just dump the project or give it back to ADB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Yeah. Would you mind actually telling us the news?

EDIT - It's on Facebook, apparently. Here's a quote someone on the Mongoose forums pulled off.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/568564029852004/permalink/61...

Quote:
The Starline 2500 range will continue and expand. Mongoose will remain the primary designer of new ship models, but ADB will be responsible for production, marketing, sales, and quality control. ADB is committed to keeping the 2500s in production as long as someone buys them, and to adding new 2500s as long as enough players buy new ships. The stands will be changed and most resin ships will be replaced by metal ships. ADB has (with the signing of this deal) become the only source for 2500s. Mongoose will fulfill or cancel any back orders on file and any obligations to the Mongoose Infantry. The contract modification happened when Mongoose had just shifted production to a new facility, and until that facility is fully on line, ADB will be selling 2500s by mail order only (not through stores). We expect to do a major relaunch of the line in the first half of next year. This will include the missing Book One ships, several new ships, as well as changing the packaging and price structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I'm glad I'll never have to worry about ACtA:SF issues because ST:AW is filling the niche just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Sexton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry folks, I just found out about this thread. I had posted the news release in the Press Release section of the forums.

Here's the full text:

PRESS RELEASE -- 13 November 2013
ADB, Inc. and Mongoose Publishing have signed a contract modification which ensures that the three joint-venture product lines (A Call to Arms Star Fleet, Starline 2500, and Traveller Prime Directive) will continue and grow. This does not end the joint venture; it simply realigns the responsibilities to better match each company's core competencies to the best advantage. The two companies remain great friends.

We will ask you to be patient a little longer regarding elements of the new production plan. We could not begin to work out the details on some items until the contract modification was signed. (You're welcome to send your questions which will be answered in future press releases as we resolve each of them.)
ADB will assume primary design responsibility for A Call to Arms Star Fleet including the revisions to Book One and the entirely new future Books Two and Three. (Tony L. Thomas will manage the designs as developer; Matthew Sprange remains the designer of record.) ADB plans to sell these as both PDFs and print-on-demand books. The revisions to Book One will include adjusting the relative power of some weapons at various ranges, revising damage scores for some ships, creating a new way to handle seeking weapons, extending the range for transporters, changing compulsory movement, altering some special actions so they no longer preclude some other special actions, removing most of the crew quality checks, clarifying any confusing rules, and adding unobtrusive cross-indexes without resorting to formal rule numbers. ADB is committed to maintaining the existing ACTASF game system and improving it. ADB will be the only source for the purchase of new ACTASF books and PDFs. Mongoose will retain ownership and control of non-SFU versions of ACTA.

The Starline 2500 range will continue and expand. Mongoose will remain the primary designer of new ship models, but ADB will be responsible for production, marketing, sales, and quality control. ADB is committed to keeping the 2500s in production as long as someone buys them, and to adding new 2500s as long as enough players buy new ships. The stands will be changed and most resin ships will be replaced by metal ships. ADB has (with the signing of this deal) become the only source for 2500s. Mongoose will fulfill or cancel any back orders on file and any obligations to the Mongoose Infantry. The contract modification happened when Mongoose had just shifted production to a new facility, and until that facility is fully on line, ADB will be selling 2500s by mail order only (not through stores). We expect to do a major relaunch of the line in the first half of next year. This will include the missing Book One ships, several new ships, as well as changing the packaging and price structure.

Work will accelerate on the four Traveller Prime Directive books, which will be written, produced, and marketed by ADB in both print-on-demand and PDF formats. ADB will be the only source for the purchase of new books and PDFs. We expect to see the first book released in the spring of 2014 and one or two of the other books later during 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Anthony Robinson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Weird. When I posted my reply, I swear there was another post that had the actual announcement in it! Honest!

Looks like Jean got it above, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was also posted on the ADB blog which is usually where I get my first info.
http://federationcommander.blogspot.com.au/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valander wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Weird. When I posted my reply, I swear there was another post that had the actual announcement in it! Honest!

Looks like Jean got it above, though.

My fault on that one. I was trying to delete the opening post, in order to let Jean handle things here herself - but the actual thread the original post created remained in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Anthony Robinson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nerroth wrote:

My fault on that one. I was trying to delete the opening post, in order to let Jean handle things here herself - but the actual thread the original post created remained in place.

At least I know I'm not crazy. Or, well, at least, that I didn't imagine things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Sexton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Some of you have asked about what seem to be high shipping costs on our shopping cart for non-US orders. Almost nobody pays what the cart says, but the cart cannot calculate the "actual cost" (which is what we charge) and defaults to the highest of several different options. The reason for that is that the bank allows us to reduce what we charge you but not increase it. Once we get your order, Leanna calculates the "actual cost" and reduces the charge to that amount. There is really no practical way for the cart to calculate every possible shipping situation. (If you order a magazine or module it goes in an envelope. If you order a magazine and a miniature it goes it a box.) You can always email Leanna (Sales@starfleetgames.com) and tell her what you want to order. She will pull and weigh the order and calculate the actual shipping cost and tell you. (The cart will still show the higher cost but at least you'll know what the charge will be reduced to.)

We're getting a lot of totally new customers out of the recent change in the joint venture lines, and they are not aware that ADB is the single most responsive company in the industry. We answer every email and every question, and address every complaint and every issue. (Do not assume that such questions or issues will be ignored.) We make the extra effort to educate our customers into the how and why of the way our company runs, and many of them provide valuable suggestions and other input which we implement (sometimes overnight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Lenna is responsive, she seems doesn't know the online retailer well very much. When I asked for the name of it which sells the latest module 6, Lenna gave me a wholesaler name. I got the better answer by asking it here in BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Sexton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Leanna doesn't know about online retailers because we support brick and mortar stores and don't sell to online retailers. She may have thought you were asking where your store could get our products.

We believe in the brick and mortar stores strongly enough that we don't undercut their prices on our own storefront.

So that's probably why you didn't get the answer you were looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope ADB realizes that many of us don't have a good FLGS close. I do go to some comic shops at times, though support is much lower there. Madness Comics and Games is great when I feel like a longer local trip, but certainly not convenient.

Life is marching on and getting stuck really doesn't help anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.