Subject: Ancient Warfare magazine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my first copy of this excellent Ancient Warfare magazine featuring the struggle for control of ancient Sicily. Highly recommended to players of C&C:A

http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/cms/karwansaray/ancient...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a great magazine; intelligent, but with lots of eye candy too. It can be picked up in larger branches of WHSmith (or you can subscribe directly, of course). It has a sister publication, Medieval Warfare, if you're into that period of military history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like their sister publication "Wargames, Soldiers, and Strategy". I usually buy the PDF back issues, which are pretty cheap and don't occupy any shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impatiently waiting for my first subscription to arrive. You can also listen to the ancient warfare podcasts at:
http://thehistorynetwork.org/category/ancient-warfare-magazi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Larsen
United States
Santa Clara
Utah
flag msg tools
I had such great plans for this OverText, but then I forgot what they were...
badge
This is a fearsome fisherman viking.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just picked up my first copy of Ancient Warfare magazine, a few days ago at Barnes & Noble! It was the issue covering the early Roman republic, so basically everything leading up to the Punic Wars. Naturally I was instantly intrigued. I'm about halfway through reading it, and loving every article so far.

I'm seriously considering a subscription, if all the issues are of this quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resQscooter wrote:
I'm impatiently waiting for my first subscription to arrive. You can also listen to the ancient warfare podcasts at:
http://thehistorynetwork.org/category/ancient-warfare-magazi...

Oh yes, I forgot about the podcasts. A group of experts musing on a subject, and admitting now much we don't know. I love it!*

*That may sound sarcastic, but I'm serious. History** is all about admitting what we don't know.

**Any field of study.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Transmuter wrote:
I'm seriously considering a subscription, if all the issues are of this quality.

I've read a handful of issues, some recent, some older, and they're of a consistent level of quality. Of course, a particular issue may not be of as much interest as others, depending on the theme and your own tastes. However, there are always articles outside of the theme, so there's likely to be much of interest in any given issue. The editor publishes the list of forthcoming themes on the website, too, so you can see what they have planned for the coming year:

Wow - they have the themes planned for more than a year's worth of issues!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grainger wrote:
The editor publishes the list of forthcoming themes on the website, too, so you can see what they have planned for the coming year:

Wow - they have the themes planned for more than a year's worth of issues!

I know their purpose in planning themes so far in advance is to solicit appropriate article submissions, which are often contributed by amateur historians......so anyone here could have a go .....although the review process obviously means they are subject to professional scrutiny and academic rigour.

kentreuber wrote:
I usually buy the PDF back issues, which are pretty cheap and don't occupy any shelf space.

My last paper subscription just ran out and I'm transferring to electronic subscription for just this reason, and also for cost. While I love the excitement of receiving a new edition in my mailbox, the price and convenience of digital download are just too attractive....and subscription is the only option here, where the magazine isn't available by issue over the counter. I did enquire whether they planned to make the whole back catalogue available for digital download but they've indicated that they won't for the foreseeable future, and only selected back issues will be available in digital format......how they choose which issues to do this with, I'm not sure.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, I just wanted to thank you all for bring this up. I just downloaded some of those podcasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Btw, I just wanted to thank you all for bring this up.

Happy to start such a positive thread. C&C games and related forums have opened up so much histrory for me - I love it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.