1775: Rebellion» Forums » Variants

Subject: NA variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Vaeth
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
We've played a variant lately that increases the usefulness of NA units. We allow NAs to be "picked up". In other words, we ignore the rule that forces units to stop in areas occupied only by neutral NAs.

Example#1 ==> assuming the initial setup, on a British Regulars turn using one of the 2-armies move-3 cards, a red unit and a yellow unit could move from Montreal to the far northwest NY area, then to the far southwest NY area, then finally to the far west PA area. the end result would be one red, one yellow and eight greens in the far west PA area. of course, the British player still has one more army he/she can move.

Example#2 ==> again assuming the initial setup, on a Patriot Militia turn using the 1-army move-3 card, a white unit could move from the far west GA area to the far west NC area, then to the far west VA area, then finally to the area just east of the far west VA area. the end result would be one white and six greens in the area just east of the far west VA area.

obviously, this makes it much more tempting to use a precious movement to "gather" neutral NAs. also, so far we've noticed no negative effect on game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One unbalancing factor might be the location of the NA's next to one another.

Take, for example, the 3 square movements card. With the pick-up rule, you could pick up three sets of NA's with one movement card, and build up a huge army rather quickly. Let's say you're the British. You could march from Quebec to western South Carolina by the end of Turn 3 (using a mixed yellow/red cube army so they get to go on their own turns), picking up a dozen or more NA units, and have a huge army ready to begin conquering the south virtually by itself, or to launch via warship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An interesting variant. Allying NAs to your armies is a fine balance.

1) The NAs are usually in inconvenient locations where you have to go out of your way to do so

2) You must stop where they are

3) You have a limited number of turns

All these combined make using your cards well (ie play a card that allows your army to go the maximum spaces listed on it and end up with NAs) fairly satisfying. I feel that your variant will bring NAs in more frequently, which would make them less of an advantage and a precious resource to acquire.

Still, I'd be curious for any thoughts on this variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like this variant at all. Picking up NA units essentially will leave certain hard to control colonies wide open since empty areas need not be occupied to control a colony.

Yup, if only the continental or British armies had realized all they need to do is march through a territory to amass a huge army of NA allies, then the war would have been much more exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The game was played hundreds of times to get the balance right.
This is a big, big change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about this change, the more I don't like it. No other armies can be "picked up" with movement, which is a big part of the challenge of the game -- it isn't supposed to be easy to amass a giant army, and this variant blows a hole in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vaeth
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
i understand the reluctance to make any big changes to a game that is so elegant in ease of play and well balanced. however, the "massive army" negative can only happen if a side gets a "3-mover" early. also, we just played the best game we've ever had that ended up 8-7. in other words, another result of the variant is that more colonies are "in play".

we won't use this all the time but occasionally, just for added fun ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.