Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Paquet
Canada
Thetford Mines
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question :

When playing King's Court, am I allowed to pick an Action card that can't be played 3 times?

For example, I play King's Court and I pick the Mine (to be played 3 times). I only have 1 treasure card in hand (Silver).

1st Action : trash a Silver --> gain a Gold
2nd Action : trash a Gold --> gain a Platinum
3rd Action : the only treasure card left in my hand is the Platinum... which can't be trashed to get a treasure card of higher value. So I can't play my 3rd Action.

Anyone knows if I was allowed to play the Mine in that case?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Actually, if I recall correctly, the mine lets you gain a treasure card of UP TO 3 more than the current card. Doesn't have to be exactly three, or even more. So you would have to trash the platinum and just pick another treasure card. Hopefully another platinum. In fact, in this situation it's mildly important that this happens since it means there is one less platinum available in the game.

That said, this only covers this specific case. I THINK that in other times if you have a card that, for instance, says "trash a card" and you've trashed all the cards but still have one iteration of King's Court left, nothing about that action happens, but I don't know that for sure.

EDIT: Looked up to confirm the wording, then had additional thoughts. (then a mild rephrase)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
You're allowed to play the Mine, but what you're missing is that you must trash the Platinum on the 3rd iteration (and presumably you'd choose another Platinum to replace the trashed Platinum). Mine does not require that you acquire a higher-valued treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooboo wrote:
I have a question :

When playing King's Court, am I allowed to pick an Action card that can't be played 3 times?

For example, I play King's Court and I pick the Mine (to be played 3 times). I only have 1 treasure card in hand (Silver).

3rd Action : the only treasure card left in my hand is the Platinum... which can't be trashed to get a treasure card of higher value. So I can't play my 3rd Action.

Thanks!
Sure.

And you can play it a third time. The card says 'costing up to 3 more'. You could trash your platinum and get a treasure costing, say, zero, since that is 'up to 12'. But what you do in practice is trash the platinum and pick up another platinum.

I regularly trash a card to pick up another of the same type, especially when I am trying to empty a pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If there is only one Platinum left in the supply, you might want to do one of the following two processes instead of the suggested Silver->Gold->Platinum->Whatever

1 - Trash Silver, Gain Silver
2 - Trash Silver, Gain Gold
3 - Trash Gold, Gain Platinum

OR

1 - Trash Silver, Gain Gold
2 - Trash Gold, Gain Gold
3 - Trash Gold, Gain Platinum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The important issue here, apart from the fact that you CAN execute mine three times, is that there is no rule requiring you to be able to execute a cards instructions in order to play it.

You can play a village if there are no cards to draw, or a chapel if you have no cards to trash. You just perform as many of the cards instructions as you can.

So even if the third mine did nothing, you could still play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooboo wrote:
I have a question :

Thanks!

You can play an Action card even if you can't do everything it says. If you can't do everything it says, you do as much as you can.

In the case of King's Court, you have two choices: select an Action card and play it three times, or don't select an Action card. You may not select an action card and play it fewer than three times.

In the case of Mine, you must trash a Treasure card and gain a Treasure card costing up to 3 coins more. "Up to 3 coins more" includes cards that cost the same or even cards that are cheaper. So, for example, you could trash a Gold and gain a Venture. Or, you could trash a Platinum and gain another Platinum.

It works that way, because it resolves like this: I trash a Gold, which costs 6. 3 coins more than 6 is 9. Therefore, I gain a Treasure card costing up to 9. Venture costs 5, which is "up to 9" so I may gain Venture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vid Dles
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
A rule with Dominion is that if ever a card instructs you to do something that you cannot do, you simply skip that instruction. So, any card can be played, even if its instructions cannot be followed.

As others have pointed out, this doesn't apply to the example with the Mine, because you can perform that action three times (by trashing a Platinum and gaining another Platinum).

But, take another example: the Torturer. If your opponent plays King's Court then Torturer with only one curse left in the supply, and you choose to gain that curse on the Torturer's first play, then there are no curses to take on the second play. You can still choose to take a curse, but because there isn't one there to take, the instruction to gain a curse is skipped. In other words, you do not have to discard two cards just because there is no curse to take--you can choose to take it, find that you can't, and skip that instruction. Then, you can do that again on the third play of the Torturer.

Another example is the Remodel. Say you're down to four cards: a King's Court, a Remodel, and two other cards. You can play King's Court then Remodel. On the first play of the Remodel, you'll trash one of your two remaining cards and gain one costing two more. On the second, you'll trash your other card and gain one costing two more than it. On the third play of the Remodel, you have no cards to trash, so you ignore that instruction and gain nothing (because with Remodel, you only gain if you actually trash something). It doesn't matter that the instructions could not be followed, the Remodel is still played.

So, to answer your question about the King's Court: All actions can be played three times, even if their instructions cannot be executed three times.

[Edit: Ninja'd!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the original question has been well answered, but I believe another example that I thought of can be interesting and instructive.

Say you draw a hand containing a King's Court at 4 Treasure Maps (from Dominion: Seaside). If you play the KC followed by a Treasure Map. The results of the three plays of the treasure map would be as follows:

1) Trash the treasure map and one of the Treasure Maps from your hand, adding 4 gold to the top of your deck.
2) Replay the Treasure Map which has already been trashed again, forcing you to trash another treasure map in your hand but without gaining the gold because the text on the card specifically says that you only gain the gold when trashing 2 Treasure Maps. Since the first treasure map has already been trashed, it cannot be trashed again.
3) Repeat step 2.

The net result: you trashed 4 treasure maps for 4 gold, half of what you would have received if you had a village and then played the Treasure Maps separately.

The same type of process goes on with Throne Room, but only for the first 2 steps and thus only trashing 3 of the Treasure Maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Paquet
Canada
Thetford Mines
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I didn't expect to get that many answers that fast.

Yeah, I missed the "up to 3" thing and it never crossed my mind that a Silver can be trashed to get a Silver... so all 3 actions can be performed.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
jentinma wrote:
I know the original question has been well answered, but I believe another example that I thought of can be interesting and instructive.

Say you draw a hand containing a King's Court at 4 Treasure Maps (from Dominion: Seaside).

Please describe the circumstances that would even vaguely persuade me to construct that hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
jentinma wrote:

Say you draw a hand containing a King's Court at 4 Treasure Maps (from Dominion: Seaside).

Please describe the circumstances that would even vaguely persuade me to construct that hand.

No good reason. Just a thought. And if you ever get this hand, you are likely already behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve L

Massachusetts
msg tools
ousgg wrote:
jentinma wrote:

YOU might not construct that hand, but in a game with Swindlers and only two cards costing $4 (where the other one became empty quickly) or where the only other cards costing $4 are some form of Village I might construct that hand for you.

I play King's Court to play Swindler three times. You trash 3 cards costing $4 from the top of your deck (yeah, I got a bit lucky) and gain 3 Treasure Maps. If you do hit Treasure Maps later on I hope to be able to do that again on my next turn, trashing three of your four new Gold and giving you Adventurers or Altars or a bunch of other terminal actions while getting +$6 for myself. At worst I'm picking up a Gold that turn, which isn't too shabby.

Isn't setting up theoretical Dominion supplies fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wybaar wrote:
ousgg wrote:
jentinma wrote:

YOU might not construct that hand, but in a game with Swindlers and only two cards costing $4 (where the other one became empty quickly) or where the only other cards costing $4 are some form of Village I might construct that hand for you.

I play King's Court to play Swindler three times. You trash 3 cards costing $4 from the top of your deck (yeah, I got a bit lucky) and gain 3 Treasure Maps. If you do hit Treasure Maps later on I hope to be able to do that again on my next turn, trashing three of your four new Gold and giving you Adventurers or Altars or a bunch of other terminal actions while getting +$6 for myself. At worst I'm picking up a Gold that turn, which isn't too shabby.

Funnily enough, buying up bulk Treasure Maps is actually a pretty good defence against Swindlers. Especially if there's no 6-cost action card on the board. So I might get there before you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
To try and sum this up, it is not illegal to play a card or make a choice on a card that will instruct you to do something that you can't actually do due to stacks being empty, or your hand not having the right card, etc.

It is totally fine to choose "Take a Curse" on Torturer when there are none left. It's fine to chose to play Trading Post when your hand has only one card in it. You won't get the Silver that way, but playing it is still perfectly legal. It is perfectly legal to trash a Copper with Upgrade, knowing that it will tell you to take a 1-cost card, of which there are none on the table. And it is perfectly fine to play King's Court on an Action, even if you know that the Action will tell you to do something that you will be unable to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wybaar wrote:
ousgg wrote:
jentinma wrote:

Actually that won't work. Once your opponent plays his treasure map to get the 4 Gold on his deck, he'll draw those 4 Gold at the end of his turn, before your turn. So they won't be there when you play Swindler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.